What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of Fame and Immortals

Showtime

Juniors
The hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto is sensational. It's be awesome to see something similar for RL in Sydney.

I went there last year as well as the Chicago sports museum. Both really interesting places that should be adopted by the NRL.

siv

First Grade
In 2008 we named teams of EVERY decade as part of RL Centenary Celebrations

Then named the games Top 100 in 2008

And the NSW, QLD and Australian Teams of the Century

Not sure if there is much more to really add

We already have the best 13

Does the Immortals concept add anything ?

We should name the next team of the decade soon

And every 25 years add 25 more players eg the Top 125

Vee

First Grade
Just Wikipedia the Hall of Fame and it has 2007 as the last inductees.

I'm hoping Wiki's info hasn't been updated, can anyone confirm there have been more since then?

If not, it's just another terrible indictment on the NRL and the ARLC.

Those who drink the water should remember those who dug the well.

T-Boon

Coach
They should obviously have the RL HOF in Newcastle as it is as close to half way between Sydney and Brisbane as we can get without going fully into the scrub.

Lambretta

First Grade
They should obviously have the RL HOF in Newcastle as it is as close to half way between Sydney and Brisbane as we can get without going fully into the scrub.

Have it in Coffs Harbour
You could include a best group sex session of the 90's team
Thurston as captain

T-Boon

Coach
Have it in Coffs Harbour
You could include a best group sex session of the 90's team
Thurston as captain

Agreed the RL HOF needs to have a HOS section. In the HOF interaction section they have passing and kicking etc in the HOS section they have piss into mouth challenge and grind against pooch section.

ed-grimley

Bench
The Immortal concept is stupid.
It came along well after many of the greats of the past had long departed from the game.
Of course the players of the present and the recent past will stand out more - they have more chances to shine and the majority of League fans have no experience of the players who were around before the Eighties. Back then there was no Origin and we only played tests against the Poms every four years.
You have to feel sorry for the players of the past who are deemed not quite good enough to be Immortal.
Players like R. Coote, N. Provan and K. Irvine are like sands through the hourglass.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The Immortal concept is stupid.
It came along well after many of the greats of the past had long departed from the game.
Of course the players of the present and the recent past will stand out more - they have more chances to shine and the majority of League fans have no experience of the players who were around before the Eighties. Back then there was no Origin and we only played tests against the Poms every four years.
You have to feel sorry for the players of the past who are deemed not quite good enough to be Immortal.
Players like R. Coote, N. Provan and K. Irvine are like sands through the hourglass.

I never saw those players but they get mentioned so many times in great rugby league moments over the past 100 years for their achievements and you wonder why they're not an Immortal or 'Legend'

Theyre obviously in the Hall Of Fame and the name "Hall of Fame of Rugby League" sounds so good. Yet we haven't had an inductee since 2007.

I know there was the 100 greatest players in the century in 2008 which was great but I remember they were going to continue the Hall of Fame. So whats happened since?

Id keep the Immortal concept but I don't like how the players thrown in the mix are all current players or recently retired, yet we ignore the past. Why?

Some jurno, cant remember his name, said the reason why Provan and those guys cant be Immortals cause once an Immortal is named from an era they move onto the next era.

Hang on. Wally Lewis was named in 1999 and Beetson was next in 2003 but Beetson retired before Lewis?

I didn't mind what Moore said, have the best team of the 100 years as Immortals or Legends, then add more players 1 by 1.

I reckon go back to naming players in the Hall of Fame and present it at either the Dally Ms or a Hall of Fame night.

some11

Referee
Hall of fame makes more sense imo, induct retiring legends immediately that way they get a proper send-off post season.

TheFrog

Coach
Immortals Shortlist

Dally Messenger
Frank Burge
Dave Brown
Brian Bevan
Duncan Hall
Norm Provan
Ken Irvine
Ron Coote
Mal Meninga
Darren Lockyer

Half of them are from the 1955-70 era, as are half the existing immortals. I think there is already quite an adequate representation from this era. Someone in the game must believe this was the game's golden era but I believe it was in fact an era of stagnation, broken only by expansion and limited tackles.

Dally Messenger is already immortalised in the Dally M Medal. Meninga seems to me to have been a slightly greater figure in the game than Lockyer, but theres not much in it.

Thus my two would be Dave Brown and Mal Meninga.

King hit

Coach
Provan should be inducted before he passes. Plenty of very worthy names there. I think Lockyer will be inducted because of the love for him and they are after modern players.

Meninga never after his disgraceful ‘what’s the game ever done for me’ comment and blatant hypocrisy and arrogance

Latest posts