What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of Fame and Immortals

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah they fap incessantly over Lockyer. No idea why myself. Great player but not a genius.

Sterling must have pissed someone off to be left off the list. He was the pre eminent NSWRL player of the game's greatest decade, and yet seems a footnote in the conversation.

Bizarre.

Ftr Dave Brown and Brian Bevan should be automatics. Messenger, too.

King hit

Coach
Messenger is already immortalised with the Dally M so I don’t think he will be there. Don’t think you give Lockyer enough credit Tommy, was one of the best readers of play/clutch player to ever play plus his longetivity and captaincy. I won’t mind if he is chosen but as long as Meninga isn’t picked I won’t have a problem with their selections.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Messenger and provan for me. I’d have liked them to have left Lockyer and meninga out this time and included them in a more modern player group next time.

Meninga deserves to be there but I’d go for fixing the two mistakes from the old days first.

Enjoyed the nrl360special on it.

Provan should be inducted before he passes. Plenty of very worthy names there. I think Lockyer will be inducted because of the love for him and they are after modern players.

Meninga never after his disgraceful ‘what’s the game ever done for me’ comment and blatant hypocrisy and arrogance

@King hit & @no name i'd completely forgotten about that comment. Great reminder cheers.

Can we also not consider Mal for his involvement and comedy stylings for the ads of "Queenslanders Only"... ?

But on a serious note - I love the Immortals Concept and HOF.

Watched the Shortlist tonight and great to get further background on all ten - as I've only seen Mal and Lockyer play.. (like many of us I'm sure).

Of the worthy ten, my vote would be Norm Provan and Dally Messenger.

Understood re Dally M Medal thoughts already "immortalising" but he was the original superstar, part of the origins of Rugby League in Australia over 100 years ago and still revered to this day. Plus he still has a stand at the SCG named after him (only he and Clive Churchill have that honour).

Re Provan - Loads of stats etc, But like messenger its also for his sheer presence and icon status in the sport, including part of the Premiership Trophy.

Plus looking on Wikipedia - he played for a club which I think has the best monniker I've ever heard of..

"Sutherland Gravediggers"... Brilliant!

My most eye-opening candidate was Brian Bevan. What a weapon! But they all are. And gives us all something to debate on the lounge, in the pub, on forums like this... Love it.

Messenger is already immortalised with the Dally M so I don’t think he will be there. Don’t think you give Lockyer enough credit Tommy, was one of the best readers of play/clutch player to ever play plus his longetivity and captaincy. I won’t mind if he is chosen but as long as Meninga isn’t picked I won’t have a problem with their selections.
You still think Lewis was overrated? :joy:

Brad Fittler
Jamie Lyon
Geoff Toovey
Ricky Stuart
Terry Lamb
Peter Sterling
ET
Paul Harrigan

That's a list I'd have in way before Lockyer

It seems the immortals to be spoken of these days you need to be either aboriginal or from Queensland to be considered not that I have an issue with either.... well Queenslanders are nearly all f**kwits, Ben Hunt lol really?

The immortals shouldn't be an SJW thing it should be the best players

Harrigan should be there
Fittler and Toovey

These guys are once in a generation level players, Toovey displaced the newest immortal from his favored position in origin ffs

Harrigan was a hard merkin who pushed it up when it mattered

Fittler was a freak, both in hotels and on the football field

ET was going to take the game to China for some reason, he was the centerpiece of the whole campaign

Sterlo was from all accounts a God on the field taking the worst club in the history of civilization to 4 f**king premierships

Jamie Lyon left parra, killed them in England then destroyed all comers 4 years later after playing against geniuss, do you know how hard it is to come back from playing against mongs to then carve useful opposition? It's rarified air

gUt

Coach
Ain't nothing famous about a hall of fame, nothing immortal about the Immortals, unless the greatest player of all time is in there.

Matt Lodge.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I take back what I said... Locky knows...

Once Lockyer established himself in grade, the competition with another current Immortal in Johns pushed him to greater heights.

“And for Joey he was the best I ever played with or against,” he said.

“His career was probably cut short due to injury, he suffered some knee injuries, but when he was on, Andrew Johns, there was daylight second.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...b/news-story/b6cd38c2b39d81b4feea7fac77acf4e5

Vee

First Grade
Messenger first, Bevan or Provan for the other for mine.

Loved the 360 special and finding out about the old-time players, the footage of Bevan was amazing, never seen footage of him before, just the old photographs of him bald, toothless, bow-legged and wrapped up like a mummy.

Duncan Thompson and Tom Gorman were two others I thought might have gone close.

David brown

Juniors
Id say if Brian Bevan played in Australia he already would of been an immortal already... The little footage of him that is out there shows how much of a freak he was...

Messenger and provan for me. I’d have liked them to have left Lockyer and meninga out this time and included them in a more modern player group next time.

Meninga deserves to be there but I’d go for fixing the two mistakes from the old days first.

Enjoyed the nrl360special on it.

Completely agree.

Get the past ones sorted out before the more recent ones. Mal and Lockyer can wait. I don't buy the argument 'oh we need to put someone in that is recent so the fans can relate'. Johns and Lewis are there at the moment. That is recent. Lets sort out the pre WW2 ones and just after. Then we can more forward.
I would like Provan, Messenger, Brown and Irvine there before before Mal & Lockyer.
Get the past right so the future can be preserved.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Id say if Brian Bevan played in Australia he already would of been an immortal already... The little footage of him that is out there shows how much of a freak he was...

His try scoring tally is insane! Great piece on him and like others not seen the footage before so good to see who he was and what made him so special. I thought he was welsh origin so I learnt something new!

I hope the nrl have a strategy about how they manage this process moving forward, how often they will induct someone, will they do it by era in the future etc.

You dont want too many or else it loses its status and I’d like to see much stronger fanfare around the hall of fame as that’s were a lot of players mentioned in here belong. Immortals really should be for the very best of the best and a rare honour.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Messenger first, Bevan or Provan for the other for mine.

Loved the 360 special and finding out about the old-time players, the footage of Bevan was amazing, never seen footage of him before, just the old photographs of him bald, toothless, bow-legged and wrapped up like a mummy.

Duncan Thompson and Tom Gorman were two others I thought might have gone close.

Harold Horder also.

Reactions: siv