What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of Fame and Immortals

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Paul Kent was an embarassment when speaking with Ron Coote got about 3 or 4 facts completely wrong. As a journo you'd think he would have done his homework.

But then again.

- Coote corrected him when he said Raper went to second row in the Aussie team when infact it was Coote.

- He also said Great Britain beat Australia 3-0 in the 1970 Test series, when it was 2-1. Australia won the Battle of Brisbane, just one of the most famous tests in league history.

- That Coote won premierships with Souths in 1971-72, which Coote corrected him, it was 70-71.

- Said Coote went to the Roosters in 1973 when infact Coote played for the Roosters in the 1972 Grand Final loss to Manly!!

Well done Kenty a true pro.........

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Paul Kent was an embarassment when speaking with Ron Coote got about 3 or 4 facts completely wrong. As a journo you'd think he would have done his homework.

But then again.

Coote corrected him when he said Raper went to second row in the Aussie team when infact it was Coote.

Yeh that was the only sht bit of the show, not surprisingly from Kent!

Bevan actually has over 800 tries during his career. For instance the tries he scored in the annual Wardonia Cup pre-season games between Wigan v Warrington aren't counted.

These were local derbies and like football wars in the post WWII period. Crowds of over 30K regularly attended them.

What is regarded as his best ever try from his goal line was in one of these matches.

Poster saying he would be in already if he played his whole career in Australia is spot on...

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Meninga, Hall, Provan, Irvine and Bevan I think it will be out of.

Why aren't Meninga's stats with Brisbane Souths included, they only had his Canberra details.

That was a big oversight I thought.

Besides winning the Panasonic Cup with Brisbane.

Meninga played for Souths from 1979-85 making the finals every year, after the club had been in the duldrums and didn't make them again up to the Broncos era.

Also won their first premiership for 28 years in 1981 and again in 1985.

Got the team into their first grand final in 16 years in 1979.

All in all his time with the Magpies:

1979 - Runner Up

1980 - Runner Up

1981 - Premiers

1982 - Runner Up

1983 - 4th

1984 - Runner Up

1985 - Premiers

Throw in his time in Canberra:

1986 - 11th

1987 - Runner Up

1988 - 4th

1989 - Premiers

1990 - Premiers

1991 - Runner Up

1992 - 12th

1993 - 4th

1994 - Premiers

He was an out an out winner.

Reactions: gUt

King hit

Coach
Why aren't Meninga's stats with Brisbane Souths included, they only had his Canberra details.

broncos1988.jpg

The Broncos entry killed the local league and saw Brisbane clubs lose funding and some dropped out altogether

johnny plath

Juniors
broncos1988.jpg

The Broncos entry killed the local league and saw Brisbane clubs lose funding and some dropped out altogether
So whst does that have to do with meninga record playing for souths 79 to 85. How can you say broncos killed brl when it's apparant its not regarded at all south of the tweed any way. If Bevans feats in england are acknowledged why not the brl. As an aside the Brl was dying long before broncos arrival...only crowds that turned up were for gf...regular games at suburban grounds and lang park were watched by two men and a dog. Thank sir joh for that and his ban on pokies in qld which saw most talent head south for a pay day in the sydney comp.

Was trying to think of his name, a wonderful winger by all accounts right up there with Bevan and Irvine.

Nobody was up there with Brian Bevan. The former Eastern Suburbs star turned Warrington star was the greatest side stepper the world has ever seen. And I include American football stars like Chicago Bears and Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Devin Hester in this judgment.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
So whst does that have to do with meninga record playing for souths 79 to 85. How can you say broncos killed brl when it's apparant its not regarded at all south of the tweed any way. If Bevans feats in england are acknowledged why not the brl. As an aside the Brl was dying long before broncos arrival...only crowds that turned up were for gf...regular games at suburban grounds and lang park were watched by two men and a dog. Thank sir joh for that and his ban on pokies in qld which saw most talent head south for a pay day in the sydney comp.

Many old school Queenslanders never appreciate that in NSW the competition was much bigger and lucrative and keep saying that QLD's was bigger and better. When I've read records of QLDRL and biographies of QLD players they are all lining up to take cracks at NSW for no reason. To say that only NSW has a centric attitude and QLD will always honour the NSW records is wrong

LeagueXIII

First Grade

If they don't include Meninga's games with Souths then Wally Lewis only played 80 club games....we all know that is not the case.

The BRL was a first class comp, so it should be included.

Why does RL always rubbish other competitions than the Sydney comp. Soccer doesn't degrade every comp outside the Premier league do they.

As for Bevan, he played in England when their competition was the highest standard in the rugby league world.

King hit

Coach
If the BRL records should be included so should the records of regional competitions Cronin, Raper, King etc played in.

Does anyone know how many games Cronin played for Gerringong? I just saw he scored 1642 points for Gerringong.

TheFrog

Coach
Meninga, Hall, Provan, Irvine and Bevan I think it will be out of.
The 50s/60-s era is already seriously over-represented. Provan and Irvine (and Ron Coote), champions that they were, have previously been overlooked in favour of multiple players from the same era. If they want to extend it to English players (and that appears to be the case) Bevan looks like a chance but blowed if I know how he beat Tommy Bishop, who once again is from the 60's. It's a big statement to say Bevan is the greatest player ever to come out of England. The 80's, and especially the great Parramatta teams, are a notable omission. This I think is the trouble when you go overboard for one great team from one era as has happened.

Honestly, I'd prefer they kept it to the NRL and its forebears.

If the BRL records should be included so should the records of regional competitions Cronin, Raper, King etc played in.

Does anyone know how many games Cronin played for Gerringong? I just saw he scored 1642 points for Gerringong.
Your analysis of this issue is hopeless. After all, you think Lewis is overrated. :joy:

gUt

Coach
In all seriousness it's cute they let NSW get one with Johns. He is obviously a huge drop in quality after Lewis but to placate the mob it's fine. I guess if they now have to go back to ancient history to find a NSW player or two worthy to induct then so be it. We can wait for normal transmission to resume with the induction of proper Immortals like Meninga, Lockyer, Langer, Smith, Thurston, Slater and of course Lodge in due course.

Haffa

In all seriousness it's cute they let NSW get one with Johns. He is obviously a huge drop in quality after Lewis but to placate the mob it's fine. I guess if they now have to go back to ancient history to find a NSW player or two worthy to induct then so be it. We can wait for normal transmission to resume with the induction of proper Immortals like Meninga, Lockyer, Langer, Smith, Thurston, Slater and of course Lodge in due course.
Fittler was as good as all of them. Except Lodge.

gUt

Coach
I dunno unlike Lockyer, Fittler has shown himself to be substandard when it comes to media duties so I'm afraid he's off the list.