What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of Fame and Immortals

gUt

Coach
That was very generous of Locky considering every other player would have seemed like they were moving in slow motion to him.

Vee

First Grade
Nobody was up there with Brian Bevan. The former Eastern Suburbs star turned Warrington star was the greatest side stepper the world has ever seen. And I include American football stars like Chicago Bears and Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Devin Hester in this judgment.
f**k off idiot.

Paul Kent was an embarassment when speaking with Ron Coote got about 3 or 4 facts completely wrong. As a journo you'd think he would have done his homework.

But then again.

Coote corrected him when he said Raper went to second row in the Aussie team when infact it was Coote.

Got all the years wrong also.
As soon as Kent spoke of the positional change I thought of Geoff Toovey.
Johns, the immortal, couldn't even dislodge Toovey from the half back position. It wasn't a "Fulton decision" either, both Gould and Pearce made that choice for NSW.
I wonder if Toovey should be made an immortal or Johns reputation be more tarnished?

typicalfan

Coach
It was first used in the 1995 World Cup team coached by Bob Fulton and Johns played 9 in defence and 7 in attack. Very different from the Wayne Pearce Kinmorley 7 and Toovey/Johns aka 2000.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If the BRL records should be included so should the records of regional competitions Cronin, Raper, King etc played in.

Does anyone know how many games Cronin played for Gerringong? I just saw he scored 1642 points for Gerringong.
No.

typicalfan

Coach
The 50s/60-s era is already seriously over-represented. Provan and Irvine (and Ron Coote), champions that they were, have previously been overlooked in favour of multiple players from the same era. If they want to extend it to English players (and that appears to be the case) Bevan looks like a chance but blowed if I know how he beat Tommy Bishop, who once again is from the 60's. It's a big statement to say Bevan is the greatest player ever to come out of England. The 80's, and especially the great Parramatta teams, are a notable omission. This I think is the trouble when you go overboard for one great team from one era as has happened.

Honestly, I'd prefer they kept it to the NRL and its forebears.
I don’t think it is, the guys mentioned have records that are unlikely to be touched in the future even with more games being played than ever.

Plus these players were all selected in the team of the century in their preferred position. I think these guys are the favourites. Probably Provan and Meninga but those others mentioned deserve their allocates. You are talking about an era of dynasties and when you win 11 in a row you will have a strong representation and that’s fair.

TheFrog

Coach
You are talking about an era of dynasties and when you win 11 in a row you will have a strong representation and that’s fair.

All it means when one team wins 11 years in a row, is that all the best players were concentrated in one team for some reason or other, not that there was a higher quality of players during that period than at other times. Provan has already been overlooked for Raper, Gasnier and Langlands from the same club and time. It is time to move away from the Dragons of 56-66.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
As soon as Kent spoke of the positional change I thought of Geoff Toovey.
Johns, the immortal, couldn't even dislodge Toovey from the half back position. It wasn't a "Fulton decision" either, both Gould and Pearce made that choice for NSW.
I wonder if Toovey should be made an immortal or Johns reputation be more tarnished?

Johns should not have been elected as an immortal so early....media push to get him in.

As a statesman for the game he is an embarassment.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Exactly, they would talk about Sterling and also Mortimer in the same vain in the 80's. This was the era before media hyperbole.

What about a player like Ray Price, it's no coincidence that Parramatta went from also rans to regular competitors during his career, 1976-1986. Since his retirement they have won nothing.

During Price's career:

1976 - Runner Up

1977 - Runner Up in replay

1978 - 4th lost to Manly in semi replay in which Price was sent off at the time Parra led 6-2

1979 - 3rd

1980 - Did his knee in Round 16 with Parra 5th on ladder, won only 2 of last 6 and missed finals

1981 - Premiers

1982 - Premiers

1983 - Premiers

1984 - Runner Up

1985 - 3rd

1986 - Premiers

That's 7 grand finals in 11 seasons of which he won 4.

Valheru

Coach
I would think Messenger and Provan would be the 2 to go in? Kind of makes sense to have the bloke whose name is attached to the best player award and the guy on the trophy as immortals.

On a side note, I am still unsure what Darren Lockyer has ever done that Brad Fittler hasn't.

typicalfan

Coach
All it means when one team wins 11 years in a row, is that all the best players were concentrated in one team for some reason or other, not that there was a higher quality of players during that period than at other times. Provan has already been overlooked for Raper, Gasnier and Langlands from the same club and time. It is time to move away from the Dragons of 56-66.
Do you know that for fact or just guessing. There are plenty of great players from that era not from the Dragons.

King hit

Coach
Johns should not have been elected as an immortal so early....media push to get him in.

As a statesman for the game he is an embarassment.

Fulton was admitted after 2 years and Johns was retired long enough to be included.

Johns took recreational drugs in his career, so what it's not like the other immortals were totally clean of any wrong doing. Do you know of Johnny Raper's bowler hat walk and his nights on the drink. He turned up drunk to play quite a few times.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Dennis Manteit was the man in the bowler hat. I don't care about Johns's drug antics.

It's his desire to act like a larrikan with Z grade jokes, inability to articulate himself and carrying on like an idiot rather then the former Australian captain and Immortal. Compare his behaviour to cricket captains. Chalk and cheese.

typicalfan

Coach
Johns might joke around but he is the best analyst in the game it isn’t even close. He might not be a perfect speaker but that is beside the point.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Lol, so because Johns is a poor analyst he shouldn't be an immortal.

That then rules out Lockyer.

And Lewis.