What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hall of Fame

Blair

Coach
I hope premierships aren't an influencing factor! As we know there's only one in about 30 years for that trio.

sup42

Juniors
Graham is the only one clearly head and shoulders above the rest in his era.

Real shame he played for the Bears.

Still Graham would be the only one that the Kangaroos would have selected at his peak over the Australian options of the day were that possible.

I hope premierships aren't an influencing factor! As we know there's only one in about 30 years for that trio.
Grand final appearance, Premiership, Origin, International, Rep apperance, Longevity, Endurance, Leadership, Tenacity, Consistency.
Most of the influencing factors from Phil Rothfield one of the judges.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Grand final appearance, Premiership, Origin, International, Rep apperance, Longevity, Endurance, Leadership, Tenacity, Consistency.
Most of the influencing factors from Phil Rothfield one of the judges.

2 of my all time faves are on the list and both tick all those boxes so hopefully at least one gets in there

JJ

Immortal
Wow - 6 isn't enough from that list - guess more will get in in future years - don't see any of the Kiwis making it TBH

I'm thinking Tallis and Buderus are locks - probably Menzies too.

I'd probably whack O'Connor in that bracket too... but everyone on the list is worthy

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Which two of Menzies, Lyons, and O'Connor?

Supplementary, if not, why not O'Connor?

Lyons is my all time favourite, and so under rated as well, absolute magician with the ball, and obviously Menzies as well, his numbers were absolutely incredible

I didn't see much of O'Connor at all, his best would have been just before my time

Blair

Coach

I didn't see much of O'Connor at all, his best would have been just before my time

A union to league success story. Was big during my Origin love affair, circa '88 to '92.

Beaver seems too recently retired for me. These 'hall of famers' should start from further back, otherwise the younger guys will just swamp the older ones.

Menzies and Graham are an example of that.

Just on Graham, I'd like to say he was a hero of mine but he wasn't really. That's not his fault. He should've been as he peaked in about 1986 and I turned 16 that year. The problem was TVNZ showed no Sydney league, I can't even recall a highlights package. Given, from '85 onwards, they showed the GF live but, of course, Graham never made those.

I did see him in test matches, but he missed the stunning Lang Park upset in '83, and was KO'ed early at the same venue in '85. The '86 Kiwis were routed 3-0, so Graham wasn't at his best there. The '88 RLWC Final at Eden Park was his last test for NZ, it was an easy win for Australia, all over at half-time.

So his Bears career had zero coverage in NZ. All I had was Bernie Wood's NZ RL Annual, which always covered the Sydney comp.

Boo to TVNZ.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Lyons case might be hurt by his contemporaries (Lewis, Kenny, Lamb) already being in the Hall - so I think he might just miss out - Daley, Fittler, and Lockyer are there too, so either way he's the 4th best and wasn't great in Origin or international football compared to them

Graham and those from earlier generations will be interesting - Tallis, Lindner, Menzies and others all there too

Given Raudonikis is there along with Langer , you'd have to think that Stuart, Jones and Alexander should be too - Stuart first in that group imo

They really should have a 5-10 year stand down prior to taking them in (the media will be jizzing themselves for Thurston, Smith, Slater, Gallen to get in - and they should and will, but then you get the leap-frogging which hinders those with slightly less strong cases), as the American sports do - and they only remain on the ballot for a certain number of years - the baseball model works reasonably well

Blair

Coach
As coach?

Poor Stace, 'you're a long time retired, ay?:

3242.jpg

JJ

Immortal
There is.
Well then those that don't get in within a certain timeframe should be removed from the list - the issue is possibly that they've been obsessed with the immortals BS and forgotten to a degree about this - there should be more players in it, they perhaps should take a larger number but spread further back, then restrict from now on... seems weird that Watkins, Flannery, Moir, Lindner, Graham, Menzies etc are all in the same ballot - Watkins played around the 1st World War FFS - he should be in already if he warrants it

Meth

Staff member
If there was a NZ Hall of Fame, I'm not sure Jones and Wiki would be the first in line to get in.