What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halt and Catch Fire

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Did Ryan just f**k both Joe and Gordon over? I'll have to watch it again but unless Gordon already finalised the deal to take all the NSFNET gear and the $2.5 million in exchange for the rest of the company it looks like they just got torpedoed by Ryan releasing the source code.

Possibly. But I was left thinking that Joe was like "ok, you're on your own buddy" and wiping his hands of Ryan. Probably not the end of it though.

I think NSFNET deal was done and dusted and that's why Joe went to handover the keys.

I just hope there's less Mutiny now, I've never found it particularly interesting.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Finished Season 3. Wasn’t too bad, but I think this show is at its best when the technology and the industry is the focal point. The whole Mutiny storyline was largely uninteresting and just felt like an excuse to add more drama to the show with the bickering between Cameron and Donna (which unfortunately looks set to continue). The WWW story could be really good if it centres more around Joe and Gordon. But I’m sure we’ll be in for more Cameron meltdowns and deer-in-headlights looks. Should have just left her Japan to make sh*thouse Atari games.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
The last two episodes seem to suggest that Cameron has matured somewhat and realises that she can no longer be the only person running the show. That's a massive positive move for her character because she was really f**king annoying.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Nearly forgot about this with GoT going.

Better than last season so far I think. But didn't take Cameron long to f*ck everything up.

LESStar58

Referee
Anyone else watching this?

This series starts off in the early 80's and revolves around a bunch of people involved in the personal computing technology revolution as they clone the original IBM PC. Now in it's second season it has moved on to early online gaming and social networking.

Worth it for the nostalgia alone.

I've seen ads for it all over the tele here in the US. It looks fantatsic!

Misanthrope

Staff member
My missus and I are hooked at the moment.

I binged seasons one and two back in 2015 and heard it had been cancelled, so was pleasantly surprised to find two new seasons waiting for me.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I've watched the first 3 seasons. Is the fourth worth watching?

Because it was fading from very good beginnings.

Matua

Bench
Season 4 was better than 3, but the first season is still the best by far.
I'm the complete opposite of you, I thought the 1st season was easily the poorest in quality (but not in world building etc) as it was still finding its way and some of the characterisation was off. It just got increasingly better for me from then on.

I never liked Cameron as a character (and as a consequence I find it hard watching the actor in other stuff) even though she was written as the 'cool' character and was a critic and fan favourite.

I don't normally cry over movies or tv but I must admit the second to last episode was watched in a very dusty room.

bileduct

Coach
I never liked Cameron as a character (and as a consequence I find it hard watching the actor in other stuff) even though she was written as the 'cool' character and was a critic and fan favourite.
I agree with you on that. No matter what role Mackenzie Davis is playing I only see Cameron.

Haffa

I agree with you on that. No matter what role Mackenzie Davis is playing I only see Cameron.
Except her Black Mirror episode I remember you saying she didn't annoy you in that.

I personally am not looking forward to the next Terminator purely because of her.

Timbo

Staff member
Halfway through season 4.

f**king Cameron.

f**k you Donna.

I’m Timbo, and this has been my TED Talk.

bileduct

Coach
Except her Black Mirror episode I remember you saying she didn't annoy you in that.

I personally am not looking forward to the next Terminator purely because of her.
Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot about that Black Mirror episode. She was the nerdy, shy, quiet type whereas the Cameron character had a lot of really f**king annoying mannerisms, facial expressions, rolling eyes, mouth agape, etc. that I see her use in most of her other roles.

Timbo

Staff member
I’ve worked around Camerons and Donnas. These aren’t characters made up for TV.

Cameron’s are particularly infuriating. Obsessed that their idea is the only possibly correct one and will burn everything to the ground if you don’t let them do things the ‘right’ way.

Timbo

Staff member
I thought it had a pretty fantastic ending on the whole. Donna and Cameron looked like they were about to invent PayPal, my room got very dusty during Gordon’s finale and Joe becoming a history teacher was just perfect - finally accepting he doesn’t have to be creating the next big thing to matter.

Fantastic show, I wish there had been more.