What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hannay shoulders big decision (The Australian)

The_Coach

Juniors
THERE is one big reason why North Queensland's Josh Hannay won't play in Sunday's preliminary final against Parramatta unless he is 100 per cent fit.

It comes in the form of 102cm and 102kg Eels centre Ben Smith. Hannay, who dislocated his left shoulder during his side's win over Melbourne last Saturday night, is making steady progress as he strives to prove his fitness for the grand final qualifier.

Hannay is desperate to play but will not take his place unless he is confident he can do the job on the powerfully-built Smith.

If Hannay succumbs to the injury, coach Graham Murray is likely to move Maroons Origin winger Ty Williams to the centres and promote Brenton Bowen to the flank.

"Marking those guys you don't want to go in half-hearted," Hannay said of Smith and fellow Parramatta centre Timana Tahu, who comes in slightly smaller than his team-mate at 185cm and 98kg.

"All you would do is let the team down because we have very capable replacements there. If I am not right I won't be playing."

Hannay and Smith have locked horns once this season, with the Eels youngster enjoying a decisive victory over his more experienced colleague at Parramatta Stadium in round nine.

Smith has since cemented a place in first grade and looks to be arrowing in on a Kangaroos tour berth. In 17 games, the 20-year-old has scored 14 tries, made 12 line breaks and busted 21 tackles to make him one of the game's potent centres. Hannay finds himself in a bind as a result. The Cowboys' goalkicking ace must weigh up the threat presented by Smith against the importance of Sunday's game, with the winner only 80 minutes from a premiership.

"As big as the occasion is, the overriding thing is you don't want to get back out there and do (the shoulder) in the first tackle and let your team-mates down," Hannay said.

The final decision will rest with Hannay, who yesterday ruled out taking a pain-killing injection for his shoulder.

"Pain is not so much the issue, so a pain killer is not going to make a hell of a lot of difference," he said.

"It's more the movement and strength I have in the shoulder which is the issue. After the game I couldn't get it past shoulder height. Now I can get it up to nearly full extension."

Parramatta players may well have had Hannay's shoulder in mind as they geared up in full padded suits for an intense contact session late yesterday. The Eels players also practised the wrestle in the tackle under instructions from assistant coach Peter Sharp.

"He's drilled into us all year if you don't win the ground, you don't win the game," said Chad Robinson, who came off the bench in the Roosters' 2003 and 2004 grand final teams.

Prop Paul Stringer was on light duties to protect his back ailment while winger Eric Grothe trained well, showing little sign of his back twinge.

Interchange backrower Dean Widders, who with 11 tries has scored more than the entire Cowboys bench, wants more.

"It's been fun scoring tries. I do get a fair few off Tim Smith, who has the most assists in the game (39)," he said. "I just play smart and follow him around or Mark Riddell and PJ Marsh."

The Australian

stuke

Bench
Gee .... I thought Ben Smith looked a touch bigger than that. Must be the camera that adds it to him! :eek:

Great to see Brain giving the 'little' people of this world a go.

Hellsy

Immortal
The_Coach said:
It comes in the form of 102cm and 102kg Eels centre Ben Smith. Hannay, who dislocated his left shoulder during his side's win over Melbourne last Saturday night, is making steady progress as he strives to prove his fitness for the grand final qualifier.

Surely they mean 202cm??

The_Coach said:
Hannay is desperate to play but will not take his place unless he is confident he can do the job on the powerfully-built Smith.

"Marking those guys you don't want to go in half-hearted," Hannay said of Smith and fellow Parramatta centre Timana Tahu, who comes in slightly smaller than his team-mate at 185cm and 98kg.

Smith has since cemented a place in first grade and looks to be arrowing in on a Kangaroos tour berth. In 17 games, the 20-year-old has scored 14 tries, made 12 line breaks and busted 21 tackles to make him one of the game's potent centres. Hannay finds himself in a bind as a result. The Cowboys' goalkicking ace must weigh up the threat presented by Smith against the importance of Sunday's game, with the winner only 80 minutes from a premiership.

Benny on tour?? That would be great :D :D

The_Coach said:
Prop Paul Stringer was on light duties to protect his back ailment while winger Eric Grothe trained well, showing little sign of his back twinge.

More wonderful news :clap: