What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hard done by refs

jeffdragon

Bench
How many times have the dragons been hard done by refs.
My answer heaps of times.
Especially we when get referred to by the bunker.
The way the sharks are bitching is starting to wear thin with me .
Like they are the only ones hard done by .
They have had a good run with decisions.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Every team thinks their team is hardest done by and never get the rub. Everyone is just full of one eyed salty shit

League is a very hard game to referee in some cases. Won't defend some of the blatant calls we see time to time but the refereeing was correct in those "controversial" calls on the weekend, as it also was when Mary had a blowup and tried to deflect our performance.

Life's Good

Coach
Poor refereeing decisions aren't responsible for bench rotation, dropped ball, kicks out on the full, missed tackles etc. We were guilty of these on too many occasions this year which cost us games. We had calls that went our way as well but you don't hear praise for those.
Teams need to look at their performance first and not deflect away from that.
You can't have pick and choose.

ALSGI

Bench
Shouldn't be any refs imo, Apple should be ready to get the dumb hot chick on Siri to do the job by next year.

"That was a forward pass by 2.03314 mm and the idiot should have been dropped six weeks ago according to the Dragons Forum, becuase he's a dick and the f**kwit coach won't drop him"

" I've made a decision and going to the IPhone, no try, sack MACf**kNOOKLE"

Brutalitops

Juniors
This is gonna be a long one so feel free to skip if you don't have a few mins

You know what. I am actually so tired of the referee complaining in the game. It is literally 10 times worse than any actual referee issues we face.

There is a culture seeping into our game of fans and coaches deflecting accountability and blaming referees for WAY more things than they actually need to be blamed for.

I think people fail to consider that a lot of NRL rules rely on subjectivity regarding an event that just happened. A referee is not a robot, they must make a snap decision with players running up, screaming in their face, commentators salivating and ready to criticise, not to mention fans on social media ready to rip in. Yes they make mistakes, just like players do. There is NO way to remove this aspect from the game completely.

What harms the game is the lack of respect for referees that has crept in this last decade. Go to any post game NRL Facebook post and I guarantee the top reply will be talking about referees. It's f**king tiring. When they make real mistakes, they get dropped, just like players. But the way people act about contentious calls that need to be made on the spot, goddamn. It's part of league.

Just have a look at that Manly vs Panthers try, where the bunker ruled it wasn't touched. Manly lost their mind, armchair referees at home said it was wrong, and wow, upon review post match it was ruled correct!

People need to accept that human error will always be a part of refereeing a sport with rules like league. There are a few ways we can improve some of the ref errors that ARE prevalent, along with eliminating this anti referee culture taking hold:

1 - Referees must be shown more respect by players. Go and have a look at a union game and how players interact with referees. It's formal, slower, respectful and certainly has no dickheads screaming in his face from every angle before he can even make a decision. Seeing Gallen and Fifita scream in the face of the ref on the weekend was a disgrace.

2 - Introduce a 5 minute bin for multiple breaches of the above as well as conceding multiple penalties. And actually enforce it. Keep 10 minute bins for dangerous tackles and punches.

3 - Change the rules from forcing the referee from ruling try or no try before sending to bunker. This is a VERY big part of what causes the errors people whinge about. They MUST guess, and then the bunkers hands are tied by arbitrary rules from that point on.

4 - Police dodgy play the balls more closely. Now this is an area referees do need to improve, but not as much as the following:

5 - Allow referees to enforce the 10m offside rule. As everyone knows, barely any team in the league goes back the full 10. If refs pulled everyone up on it they would be blamed for blowing too many penalties (another culture issue affecting their mentality) but if it gets that bad then they need to use the aforementioned 5 minute bin. I believe this is the most important change because cheating this rule has become fundamental to NRL the last few years.

Above all people need to just suck their losses the f**k up and stop the referee abuse. It's really gone too far and is damaging the game. Todd Greenberg was 100% right yesterday when he told people to grow up. And he's almost never right!

I'm not even gonna get started on some of the shit I see that specific teams are targeted and the NRL is rigged. f**k off with that shit

I wrote so much holy shit sorry everyone

j0nesy

Bench
Actually I thought we got a decent rub of the green in our last few games and still managed to get beaten by the Dogs and Broncos. Yes, at other stages of the season and for the most part we were on the wrong side of the 50/50 calls.

j0nesy

Bench

You know what. I am actually so tired of the referee complaining in the game. It is literally 10 times worse than any actual referee issues we face.

There is a culture seeping into our game of fans and coaches deflecting accountability and blaming referees for WAY more things than they actually need to be blamed for.

I think people fail to consider that a lot of NRL rules rely on subjectivity regarding an event that just happened. A referee is not a robot, they must make a snap decision with players running up, screaming in their face, commentators salivating and ready to criticise, not to mention fans on social media ready to rip in. Yes they make mistakes, just like players do. There is NO way to remove this aspect from the game completely.

What harms the game is the lack of respect for referees that has crept in this last decade. Go to any post game NRL Facebook post and I guarantee the top reply will be talking about referees. It's f**king tiring. When they make real mistakes, they get dropped, just like players. But the way people act about contentious calls that need to be made on the spot, goddamn. It's part of league.

Just have a look at that Manly vs Panthers try, where the bunker ruled it wasn't touched. Manly lost their mind, armchair referees at home said it was wrong, and wow, upon review post match it was ruled correct!

People need to accept that human error will always be a part of refereeing a sport with rules like league. There are a few ways we can improve some of the ref errors that ARE prevalent, along with eliminating this anti referee culture taking hold:

1 - Referees must be shown more respect by players. Go and have a look at a union game and how players interact with referees. It's formal, slower, respectful and certainly has no dickheads screaming in his face from every angle before he can even make a decision. Seeing Gallen and Fifita scream in the face of the ref on the weekend was a disgrace.

2 - Introduce a 5 minute bin for multiple breaches of the above as well as conceding multiple penalties. And actually enforce it. Keep 10 minute bins for dangerous tackles and punches.

3 - Change the rules from forcing the referee from ruling try or no try before sending to bunker. This is a VERY big part of what causes the errors people whinge about. They MUST guess, and then the bunkers hands are tied by arbitrary rules from that point on.

4 - Police dodgy play the balls more closely. Now this is an area referees do need to improve, but not as much as the following:

5 - Allow referees to enforce the 10m offside rule. As everyone knows, barely any team in the league goes back the full 10. If refs pulled everyone up on it they would be blamed for blowing too many penalties (another culture issue affecting their mentality) but if it gets that bad then they need to use the aforementioned 5 minute bin. I believe this is the most important change because cheating this rule has become fundamental to NRL the last few years.

Above all people need to just suck their losses the f**k up and stop the referee abuse. It's really gone too far and is damaging the game. Todd Greenberg was 100% right yesterday when he told people to grow up. And he's almost never right!

I'm not even gonna get started on some of the shit I see that specific teams are targeted and the NRL is rigged. f**k off with that shit

Some good points there. I think the main issue with the refereeing, and what frustrates fans the most, is the inconsistency. Too much "discretion" is exercised by the refs. I think the following needs to occur:
* only have 1 referee on the field. This would improve consistency and also provide a bigger pool of referees to draw from.
* increase the pay of referees linked to match payments for nrl games
* introduce an independent review system with referees promoted and demoted to/from the top grade based on performance.
* encourage referees to simply police the rules of the game independent of crowd influence, player influence and circumstances of the match. Offside is offside, square at marker is square at marker, holding down is holding down.
* crack down on the criticism of referees in press conferences and in the media. Not sure how you can do it in the media
* allow to refer to bunker and the default decision should be try unless bunker can find evidence to overturn. Benefit of the doubt to the attacking team.
* get rid of former players in the bunker. Should be referees only.

Crush

Coach
Shouldn't be any refs imo, Apple should be ready to get the dumb hot chick on Siri to do the job by next year.

"That was a forward pass by 2.03314 mm and the idiot should have been dropped six weeks ago according to the Dragons Forum, becuase he's a dick and the f**kwit coach won't drop him"

" I've made a decision and going to the IPhone, no try, sack MACf**kNOOKLE"
Noooo not you too with the McFooknuckle stuff!
Cmon mate, thats OTs pet name for our great coach, be more original......

Great post!
What I am surprised at is that teams don't realize that when they act stupid after a bad call, it actually affects their performance negatively.
That's why teams like Melbourne usually get the chocolates in controversial games.
Smith just knows how to keep his team focused on the job regardless.

Carlton

Juniors
I think the refs and NRL should be criticised even more.

The thing I hate is that the rules are not enforced, in particular:

Moving before the ball has been played or tapped.
Moving off the mark (and to make it worse they then penalise the defender for holding the mark).
Markers not square especially near the line.
Not recognising that intentionally giving penalties near the line is a professional foul and multiple offences for the same offence should be a sin bin.
Allowing a further effort to put the attacker on the ground after held has been called.
No consistency regarding hand on the ball.

The mantra is speed up the game and reduce the penalties but all that has happened is that coaches are now exploiting the leniency.

SGMax

Juniors
Had enough of people repeating that the refs don't miss tackles and drop balls and give away penalties.

When a ref makes multiple bad decisions in a game that go against a team then there should be grounds for complaint.
The Newcastle game comes to mind. Sure we were not playing our best and making errors but we still should have won if not for the refs....and it cost us a top 8 position.
(here is where everyone will comment: we weren't good enough, we didn't deserve to win, we should have been able to win anyway, they were a bottom 4 side.....).

I would support this stance of no complaints against referees if there was some form of self review and consequences for bad performances. Even a press conference by the referees boss during the week.

If I was in charge, I would video review each and every game together with the specific team of referees involved and point out errors or suggest areas of improvement.
This would surely lead to improved performance and more consistency across all the referees as the season progresses.

Latest posts