What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

Panther_Daz

Staff member
If you are Under 15 and good enough you should be in the Harold Mat's squad. Age should not come into it. 2 years ago in Mat's Beale,Seijka and V.Tia Kilifi were amogst our best players and they were playing up an age.

footyboy7

Juniors
If you are Under 15 and good enough you should be in the Harold Mat's squad. Age should not come into it. 2 years ago in Mat's Beale,Seijka and V.Tia Kilifi were amogst our best players and they were playing up an age.

Totally behind you panther daz. Would you rather have the best team of 16 year olds? OR the best possible team available?
:crazy:

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
A friend of mine called Ben King (age 14) is training with the harold mats.
Although he is 6'4 and weighs about 90 kilo's.

Flasha

Juniors
I have been reading this thread with interest for the last couple of weeks. I have had some interest in the penrith juniors for a while and I will reply to some of the posts.

Firstly Pantha-Boy there is no Ben King training with the Matts and his measurements mean nothing anyway. 90kg is below the average weight of their forward pack.

footyboy7 mentioned how good Solo, Pepa and Vaipuna are and how they are playing above their age. I think all three are brilliant players and have the talent to make 1st grade but Solo and Vaipuna are benchies at the moment and Pepa is out of the 17 altogether. This is due to trial form and training intensity. Harry made the 20's due to a massive injury toll and he excelled in attack but he could not handle the defence and struggled to back up for the following week. He has also struggled all pre-season with injuries and is lucky to be in the starting side.

FOOTYSTAR09 Bryce and Jakiel are also excellent prospects but they are not ready for Matts just yet and the only reason they were sent to academy from what I have seen was to keep them training and used as possible interchange players. I have seen promising careers finished before kids even turn 17 due to injuries and loss of motivation for the game. There is no need to rush these kids, they will dominate next year no doubt and if they get a fair amount of game time at academy this year then hopefully they don't get hurt.

In regards to the Doran-Antonelli try scoring debate. Jason Doran did score against Canberra and he has shown tremendous form throughout the trials along with Tai. They are leading the Penrith attack and dominating the opposition forward packs.

sweet-as

Juniors
Lets calm this down a bit....Bryce, Wiki and Jakiel are absolute superstars, i never said they weren't....However they are yet to prove themselve in the Harold Matthews cup I NEVER SAID THEY WONT!!.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I have to say its very good to see a long and imformative chat about our Junior Reps this year. Alot of new people have joined and participated.

Hopefully this continues till the season finishes in May.

footyboy7

Juniors
Either Paul nelson or Teoke Kaharua.
I am just wondering sweet-as that if you play rugby, how do you know all of these players?
Especially the like of Nelson 'Paulie" Tuia, as this is only his 1st or 2cd year in Penrith Comp Division 1..

Anyway, besides that, "Paulie" Nelson plays hooker for Glenmore Park( i know Nathan Antonelli is half bla bla bla) and if Teoke Kaharua is so good why have Michinbury failed so miserably in past years, also why hasnt Teoke left the forsaking Michinbury team for a team where he can prove himself a worthy competitor for the Penrith HM halfback position?

:):)

sweet-as

Juniors
I am just wondering sweet-as that if you play rugby, how do you know all of these players?
Especially the like of Nelson 'Paulie" Tuia, as this is only his 1st or 2cd year in Penrith Comp Division 1..

Anyway, besides that, "Paulie" Nelson plays hooker for Glenmore Park( i know Nathan Antonelli is half bla bla bla) and if Teoke Kaharua is so good why have Michinbury failed so miserably in past years, also why hasnt Teoke left the forsaking Michinbury team for a team where he can prove himself a worthy competitor for the Penrith HM halfback position?

I know lots about the team, because my brother is really good mates with one of the matts boys. Teoke is no superstar, but I do agree that he should have left minchinbury by now. The thing is minchinbury used to be a gun side, they were the best team all year in 2005 until St mary's knocked them off in the grand final, due to a memorable year from players like Tai Tuivasa and Pera Thomas. Teoke has been improving ever since then and really should have joined one of the current heavyweight teams.
As for Paul, I know he normally is hooker, and that is where he is playing at matts level, but he is still a very good half back.

footyboy7

Juniors
I would like to hear all thoughts on the Penrith SG Ball 5/8th Matthew Moylan and also Fullback Alistar Beale?

ashton

Juniors
Harold Matthews Side
Vs Eels at CUA Stadium, Saturday February 21 - 12.45pm Kick off

1. Brendan Heather
2. Clay Robinson
3. Ben Heterick
4. Ryan Wilson
5. Keiran Moss
6. Johnny Tapuaiga
7. Reece Regan
8. Tai Tuivasas
9. Nelson Tua
10. Jason Doran
11. Tevita Vave
12. Jason Antonelli
13. Steve Misevic

Interchange: 14. Tyson Iddles 15. Tekina Vailea 16. Aaron Taavale 17. Suniula Fatialofa 18. Cy Samuels 19. Cy Samuels 20. Joel Waddell 21. Tony Santini Coach: George Zahra

ashton

Juniors
SG Ball Side
Vs Eels at CUA, Saturday February 21 - 2.00pm Kick off

1. Alistar Beale
2. Alan Eisenuth
3. Malakai Watene-Zeleniak
4. Andrew Pelasio
5. Tori Willie
6. Matthew Moylan
7. Harry Seijka
8. Jake Seaton
9. Jake Schubert
10. Samson Sene
11. Cameron Grieve
12. Mathew Penitani
13. Blake Austin

Interchange:
14. Solo Alone
15. Vaipuna Tia Kilifi
16. Kilifi Tia Kilifi
17. Ivan Taavale
18. Blake Riglesford
19. Kurt Horton
20. David Biddel
21. Duran Ierko
22 Juston Genovese
23. Johnathon Pepa
24. Anaru Matthews
25. Joshua Meeham
26. Jake Romero
Coach: Bob Beveridge

Flasha

Juniors
I am not part of a team but i do go to all the junior rep games and I know about most of Penrith's junior rep players.

Moylan excelled in the ball side, which included him scoring the 1st try of the game and is the fittest player in the ball side by far. Beale is an awesome talent that is still very raw. Work ethic can improve but he has some freakish ability. Samson is one player to watch. He is absolutely enormous and from reports has been rewarded for his efforts in the pre-season with a training session with 1st grade. I am looking forward to him having a far better season then last year in the ball.

BOMAR

Juniors
I have watched all the sg ball trials and canberra game and blake austin has been the standout. Started the canberra game in lock and switch to 5/8 just before 1/2 time. Played the second half at 5/8. He scored a try, set up 2 more kicked 6 goals for a tally of 16. He played 1/2 back in 11 games for doonside's A grade last year was the highest point scorer and try scorer. He played 5/8 in three international friendly's for portugual and is currently their highest point scorer. He was also a standout in St Doms arrive alive team last year. He also played the Grand final for Doonys C Grade side and scored three tries.

footyboy7

Juniors
who do u guys reckon, SG ball or harold matthews, will be the most successful team this year?

At the first releasing of the squads. i thought that the harold matthews could be better, but it seems like they are playing really well together, we will have to wait and see how they go Vs Parramatta.

Personally i think the SG Ball squad will be tough to beat with the likes of Seijka, Moylan, Sene, Beale, Alone and the Tia Kilifi's.

Latest posts