What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harrigan

millersnose

Post Whore
well he had a shocker

i dont think ultimately it would of made a difference

i still think he is the best referee although occasionally over the years he has shown a mind explosion

2 issues here

should he get his 10th GF?

and

why does he do these things? - ego? - genuine mistakes?

personally i think it is time to reward steve clark for his consistancy

JoeD

First Grade
Harrigan is reffing one game next week, who is doing the other? Mander should be dropped after another poor performance. Hopefully they will give Clarke a go next week and the better of the 2 should get the big game the week after. (But that is never going to happen)

Southernsaint

Staff member
The whole "Harrigan is the world's best ref" statement is one of those things where if something is said often enough, people tend to accept it unchallenged as fact.

If any other ref had made some of the mistakes that Hollywood has made in the past five years, he'd be crucified but because Harrigan's the "world's best" people are happy to over-look his arrogance & any mistakes he might make, but not afford another referee the same leniency...

Cheers,
Ben S.

salivor

First Grade
I don't think he was that bad yesterday. He certainly stuffed up royally on the Robinson try decision. It was obvious though all along that Robinson was in front of Orford and thankfully the video referee saw it that way too.

I'm getting a bit sick of the way a lot of the referees are so bloody dependant on the video referee for very simple rulings. At least Harrigan backs his own judgement most of the time; unfortunately he can just get a little carried away.

Ultimately he has to referee the Grand Final. He keeps the best 10 metres in the game by far. If he'd been in charge of the Raiders v Warriors game it would've been totally different. The Roosters look certain to be one of the two Grand Finalists and a guy like Mander would assure no other team got near them on the scoreboard with his barely 7 metres.

millersnose

Post Whore
salivor said:
I don't think he was that bad yesterday. He certainly stuffed up royally on the Robinson try decision. It was obvious though all along that Robinson was in front of Orford and thankfully the video referee saw it that way too.

I'm getting a bit sick of the way a lot of the referees are so bloody dependant on the video referee for very simple rulings. At least Harrigan backs his own judgement most of the time; unfortunately he can just get a little carried away.

Ultimately he has to referee the Grand Final. He keeps the best 10 metres in the game by far. If he'd been in charge of the Raiders v Warriors game it would've been totally different. The Roosters look certain to be one of the two Grand Finalists and a guy like Mander would assure no other team got near them on the scoreboard with his barely 7 metres.

dont you think the "in-form" stephen clark has a good claim given harrigan hasnt had his best year?
'
on the record i think harrigan is the best but hasnt been at his best recently

i believe in rewarding the consistancy and relative good form of clark

salivor

First Grade
Steven Clarke deserves a shot but so did Hampstead last year with some great performances in the back end of the season. Convieniently some police corruption claim came up before the Grand Final meaning the NRL didn't have to make excuses for giving Harrigan his 9th Grand Final.

Harrigan is going to get the job no matter what and I can live with that. The 10 metres is a big talking point this year and thats Harrigan's key area. Hes the man to keep the teams apart and produce a good game.

millersnose

Post Whore
salivor said:
Harrigan is going to get the job no matter what and I can live with that. The 10 metres is a big talking point this year and thats Harrigan's key area. Hes the man to keep the teams apart and produce a good game.

actually that is a pretty salient point

at this stage i gotta agree

the only thing that would see hollywood lose the prize would be a really bad performance next week

B_Tiger

Juniors
frilingoose came up with his regular dumb arse opinion opposing bill. But, there is no doubt he is the leagues best ref. His confidence in his decisions ensures the players are always kept under control and his decisions are very consistant. Every ref is going to make mistakes in every match, I certainly wouldn't want anyone but harrigan controlling the GF.

JoeD

First Grade
The whole "Harrigan is the world's best ref" statement is one of those things where if something is said often enough, people tend to accept it unchallenged as fact.

So if Harrigan isn't the best who is? I think he is the best because he is the fittest, therefore he can get back the 10 himself and also make the right decision when fatigued.

***MH***

Bench
Bring back Greg Macallum anytime!

in all seriousness, Bill will always be top ref because of his authority over the players on the field. the players know who he is and show complete respect to him. they know what happens when they get on bills bad side!
=; :-({|=

sydraider

First Grade
Im just curious as to which game harrigan will be appointed this week, more than likely the roosters-dogs game, he seems to get a lot of roosters appointments or is that just me :?

Frenzy

Juniors
sydraider said:
Im just curious as to which game harrigan will be appointed this week, more than likely the roosters-dogs game, he seems to get a lot of roosters appointments or is that just me :?

I think it's just you :lol:

Billy has only done 6 Roosters games this year. In 2002 he did 4 rounds plus prlim final and GF. So only 12 times in the last 2 years is not that much

The one I find interesting is how the Roosters avoid Shayne Hayne. 5 times in the last 3 years is all they have had him.

salivor

First Grade
You'd certainly hope Bill Harrigan gets the Bulldogs v Roosters game. I can only imagine how ugly it will get if Mander gets the nod with his 7 metres. The Roosters and Bulldogs are the best at exploiting the 10 metre rule and they'd have a field day under Mander.

Bengal

Juniors
Southernsaint said:

If any other ref had made some of the mistakes that Hollywood has made in the past five years, he'd be crucified but because Harrigan's the "world's best" people are happy to over-look his arrogance & any mistakes he might make, but not afford another referee the same leniency...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Oh boy that is so true !!!

Onya Southernsaint

JoeD

First Grade
I'm fairly sure that Billy has been assigned to the Warriors-Panthers game. It would be a bit rough on the warriors to have Mander 2 weeks in a row.

Latest posts