What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has richardson been neutured?

Perth Red

Post Whore
When was this announced, how can any side be guaranteed permanent licenses ?.

has now been granted a perpetual license with the NRL as opposed to the limited term licenses doled out previously.

"The security of a perpetual license and the security of a seven-year funding model means that all the clubs that are supported by the NRL now become viable and all are able to go back to correct ownership outside of the NRL," Grant said.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/12/03/new-nrl-funding-deal-saves-clubs

The Great Dane

First Grade
has now been granted a perpetual license with the NRL as opposed to the limited term licenses doled out previously.

"The security of a perpetual license and the security of a seven-year funding model means that all the clubs that are supported by the NRL now become viable and all are able to go back to correct ownership outside of the NRL," Grant said.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/12/03/new-nrl-funding-deal-saves-clubs

Undoubtedly there're criteria that must be met or the licenses are voided at the discretion of the of the governing body, otherwise it'd be organisational suicide for a business to to give out perpetual licenses.

I don't know what the criteria are, but realistically they'd have to be extremely tight and the NRL/ARLC would have to have a lot of control over the licenses.
If I was setting the criteria for the licenses then there would have already been grounds to void a handful as soon as they were granted, and for all we know the same could be true of the NRL licenses right now.

So i wouldn't give up on a relocation or two yet if I was you.

Quidgybo

Bench
Whether a license has an expiry date or not doesn't mean it is held unconditionally. Insolvency would be the obvious one that would result in a license being forfeited. Persistent salary cap breaches or other contraventions of NRL rules would probably be another. Failure to pay players, staff or taxes (hello Nathan Tinkler!), fraud, match fixing (tanking), systemic drug abuse, the all encompassing "bringing the game into disrepute" (i.e. damaging the game's collective value for the other license holders) etc. etc. If the league reserves the right to decide where and when matches are played then straight away they have the theoretical, if not practical power to schedule a license holder's games in Perth if they see fit. Again it's foolish to read too much into one sentence statements without access to the paperwork that backs it.

Leigh.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Richardsons time at the NRL just feels like a massive waste of time. Unless there is a large document detailing the blueprint for the game at professional, amateur and youth levels in every state then what we have seen is not really a whole of game strategy is it?! We have been dished up a half baked 2nd tier competition with no firm conclusions on teams in NSW and some other ideas that seem designed to antagonise NRL teams.

Will be interesting to see if he as head of football at souths supports his own ideas given he will be affected directly by their impact on pathways

Perth Red

Post Whore
So full of hope beginning of last year. Finally the game was being run independently, had decent $'s in the bank, Smith seemed the progressive business CEO the game was crying out for, Richardson employed with a mandate to expand and grow the game. How disappointing it has all turned out.

Diesel

Referee
Who are the hacks that are white acting progression? The commission members or certain "power" clubs?

I expected to see some progression after 4 years of the commission but all I see is the old establishment but they've multiplied.

Latest posts