What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the Squad over performed up to this point of the season ?

The answer is yes.

Problem is a series of tremendous performances have lifted our expectations.

My feeling is the failure to sign Dugan and Packer has dented the enthusiasm of the team.

They lacked energy and discipline. I am a bit worried that both the coaching staff and team are overconfident.

Any squad that is relying on Josh McCrone to steer them to victory is unlikely to regularly win close games.

The pack is very strong.

The back line apart from Dugan and Widdop (2017 version) is very ordinary.

Dragsters

First Grade
The answer is yes.

My feeling is the failure to sign Dugan and Packer has dented the enthusiasm of the team.

They lacked energy and discipline. I am a bit worried that both the coaching staff and team are overconfident.

Any squad that is relying on Josh McCrone to steer them to victory is unlikely to regularly win close games.

The pack is very strong.

No doubt we have exceeded expectations to this point after the disaster that was 2016.

The frustrating part for me is that Mary seems so reluctant to try to continue to improve the team by tweaking selections when warranted.

Agreed McCrone is the obvious weakness. As is our right edge.

I also think we are going to need 4 forwards on the bench pretty soon or risk burning out the biggest strength we have, our forward pack.

FWIW, I would consider trying the following team sooner rather than later...

Mann or Dufty
McDonald
Dugan
Lafai
Flo
Widdop
Nona (when fit)
Vaughan
McInnis
Packer
Friz
Thomson
JDB

Sims
Ah Mau
Host
Leilua

and give them all a decent run in these positions.

Nona's kicking game is needed and allow Dugan on the right edge to develop a combo with Nene.

Old Timer

Coach
I think we have over performed against the doom gloom expectation and I also think several good sides have under preformed and are now lifting whilst we are standing still or going backwards.
So if we over performed against under performers how do you honestly evaluate that?
If we fail to lift and go on with the season then it just goes to show early season form counts for very little as was the case in 2015.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I think it's been a combination of the squad being fit, healthy (relatively injury free) and playing out of their skin. This is a credit to our strength and conditioning team and the players themselves, but unfortunately Mary seems to be the main beneficiary through an extended contract.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
In my opinion we have exceeded expectations based on the last few years but because we have been in the top 4 for half of this year we were all getting carried away with our ability Now we are losing Packer and Dugan and starting to get a few hiccups on the field we are starting to doubt ourselves and realise we are probably suited to the 8 rather than top 4......put it this way if we hadnt been up the top of the table but in the 8 everyone would have be ecstatic ........having said that have we over performed..... answer.. probably yes when you take into consideration our backline......but Im still not writing us off just yet.....on our day we are as good as any of our opposition

latemail

Juniors
Vaughan seems to have fallen of the pace when he wasn't selected for nsw
And this thing with Dugan in the centre I dont get I could beat him over 50 m and I'm a fat cu*t
He's lost all his pace we need some strike out there
Widdop since returning from injury isn't the same player but hey he's sorted out his future so has lafai and he ain't the same either and don't forget Mary's extension as well
Everyone's set

St Georgio

Juniors
I thought we had the super buys of the season , Vaughan, McInness and Nene, so from the outset the Dragons set the standard, but unfortunately the soft underbelly has resurfaced, watch the slide continue. But hey Marys learning every year, I am sure 99% on this forum thought that Marys salvation was at least a top 4 finish, so at this stage they have underachieved

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
So if we continue along the lines of 2015 really nothing has changed ...... Now is the time for Mary to prove me wrong . ( I for one was not happy with his contract extension ) they could have waited .....

Yes mate, most of us thought likewise but all we can do is try and stay positive and hope the team can string a few wins together, starting this week against Parra.
It would be nice to get one over them seeing they got us first time around.
Hopefully, better days ahead, buddy.

Smurf

Juniors
The answer is yes.

The pack is very strong.

Totally agree Saints Forever.
Losing two big internationals has hurt us.

possm

Coach
So if we continue along the lines of 2015 really nothing has changed ...... Now is the time for Mary to prove me wrong . ( I for one was not happy with his contract extension ) they could have waited .....

Or what? ................... The Club has rewarded him with close to $1m for his efforts, so what's the big deal?

SEAT 1A

Bench
Yes, the squad and Mary have over achieved. I was dreading the year so, I'm loving it.

Who knows how it's going to finish however, they are having a go and have pride back in the jersey.

possm

Coach
Its a FACT that you reckon its a mess?
Nice. I like that CC.
It's a MESS. Imagine if it wasn't a mess:
Dugan
Macdonald
Aitken
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
Hunt
Vaughan
McInnes
Packer
Thompson
Frizell
De Belin

Ah Mau
Kerr
Lawrie
Sims

We could bring Kerr and Lawrie through this year and have the above line up for 2018.

Now with our MESS we will have to play Mann at fullback even though Mary still refuses to select him at 1. - Mann is less than Dugan.

Aitken will need to do a lot of defensive work in the off-season to be a good right centre in 2018. - Aitken on tilt.

We will have to find a run on prop to partner Vaughan and he will have to go through the off-season and first few rounds to settle in. - WHO?

Crush

Coach
It's a MESS. Imagine if it wasn't a mess:
Dugan
Macdonald
Aitken
Lafai
Nightingale
Widdop
Hunt
Vaughan
McInnes
Packer
Thompson
Frizell
De Belin

Ah Mau
Kerr
Lawrie
Sims

We could bring Kerr and Lawrie through this year and have the above line up for 2018.

Now with our MESS we will have to play Mann at fullback even though Mary still refuses to select him at 1. - Mann is less than Dugan.

Aitken will need to do a lot of defensive work in the off-season to be a good right centre in 2018. - Aitken on tilt.

We will have to find a run on prop to partner Vaughan and he will have to go through the off-season and first few rounds to settle in. - WHO?
Nice use of the BOLD function Poss. Strong.

mickeylane

Bench
I think Dragons have over achieved in everyone's eyes except the players themselves who obviously believed in them selves.

I think we make top 6 no probs which is great news and a massive plus building for the future.

Losing Dugan has been a blessing in respect that he's not a team player and Dragons are a team w no individuals - we need team players all round to be an effective team.

Losing Packer will be short term pain for long term gain which means someone like Kerr or Lawrie will get a chance in first grade.

Hunt will be the clubs messiah - Mark my words we will be a totally different team w Hunt in the team and a bloody dangerous team in any teams quarter w Hunt on the ball.

He's the 2nd coming of Andrew Johns -
Powerful
Innovative in attack
Unbelievable front on defender
Great long pass
Great short kick
Quick off the mark

Strap on your jet pack - Hunt is coming!!

Old Timer

Coach
I think Dragons have over achieved in everyone's eyes except the players themselves who obviously believed in them selves.

I think we make top 6 no probs which is great news and a massive plus building for the future.

Losing Dugan has been a blessing in respect that he's not a team player and Dragons are a team w no individuals - we need team players all round to be an effective team.

Losing Packer will be short term pain for long term gain which means someone like Kerr or Lawrie will get a chance in first grade.

Hunt will be the clubs messiah - Mark my words we will be a totally different team w Hunt in the team and a bloody dangerous team in any teams quarter w Hunt on the ball.

He's the 2nd coming of Andrew Johns -
Powerful
Innovative in attack
Unbelievable front on defender
Great long pass
Great short kick
Quick off the mark

Strap on your jet pack - Hunt is coming!!
What about the other AJ is he still coming?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yes we have over performed up to this point of the season. We started the season off as second favourites for the spoon. We have the worst halfback in the comp and a fullback who struggles to pass the ball.

Life's Good

Coach
Absolutely we are over achieving. I am not going to disrespect the players other than to say we didn't really look good on paper at all. The off season signings(Vaughan, McInnes & McDonald)were upgrades in their positions but I don't think anyone thought they would be enough to turn us into contenders. We have obviously started the year really well but we are now seeing the effect of a pretty much one dimensional playing style(the all hailed power game). Realistically, the performances against the Tigers & Dogs is a glimpse of where most of our expectation lay before a ball had been kicked. In a way I am mighty impressed with where we are on the ladder but that is tempered by frustration that we don't appear to have another gear(coaching & playing wise).

Latest posts