What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the wormed turned?

Perth Red

Post Whore
nearlly fell of my cafe stool this morning when, whilst waiting for my daily caffeine fix, I opened up the West Australian, flicked to the back pages with the remote hope of finding a small snippet of RL news and came across a full page of NRL stories. And none of them negative! Cant remember the last time I saw so much NRL coverage in the West mid week. Have they finally realised there are thousands of people in Perth interested in RL?

BDGS

Bench
Perhaps, maybe they are preparing them for something? I wonder what that could be? ;)

Also PR, the new second annual test match between Australia and New Zealand will now always be played 2 weeks after the grand final. The game will alternate between the two countries with the first game being played this year in Newcaslte.

I think this is great for the game, and i see it as an opportunity to take this game around the country when its our turn to host the event. I would like to see it in Perth in 2013.

bennySW

Juniors
Perhaps, maybe they are preparing them for something? I wonder what that could be? ;)

Also PR, the new second annual test match between Australia and New Zealand will now always be played 2 weeks after the grand final. The game will alternate between the two countries with the first game being played this year in Newcaslte.

I think this is great for the game, and i see it as an opportunity to take this game around the country when its our turn to host the event. I would like to see it in Perth in 2013.

HA HA HA nice one mate... never going to happen, (a) the NRL is NOT a national competition, look at the "rig-me-role" we the Reds have had to go thru to get a license, and we still aren't gaurnteed one. Gallop has more blinkers on that the horses at flemington in the carnivals.
and (B) the sticking point where are we going to house 30,000 supporters. Subi is a sh1t hole for watching League, WACA is too small for capacity and so is NIB Stadium with dodgy corporate and media area.

Be nice if It did ever happen, but the closest we'll get to a test match or a serious game will be a $99 flight to Melbourne to watch the test there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm guessing you missed the announcement of the $82million 1st stage upgrade of NIB stadium?

RU has managed to get 35k+ crowds at Subi for Walabies games, see no reason why a Kangaroos v Kiwis couldn't be held there and get 30k.

bennySW

Juniors
yeah I heard that its $90m, or is $8m going to the back pocket of the government or some other free-wheeler and dealer ?

But thats only for the eastern grand stand after the contract (of the temproary seats) is complete at the end of the Super rugby season. We all know how WA works, this wont be finished before the 2013 Super rugby / NRL expansion if it ever does go ahead. We still have 3 more sides of a stadium..

Question I have is every time the Wallabies are in town they play the SAFFA's this is the half way house for there expats, do we have enough "paying" kiwis to watch the game here if we had a RL Test ? and would the media market it well enough, there would have to be careful consideration (i.e. make certain no AFL is on / rugby isn't being played etc)

We all know we are in a AFL State, i just think lets walk before we can run and get a NRL license first, before w**nking ourself about getting an Origin or Test over here some time soon.

BDGS

Bench
HA HA HA nice one mate... never going to happen, (a) the NRL is NOT a national competition, look at the "rig-me-role" we the Reds have had to go thru to get a license, and we still aren't gaurnteed one. Gallop has more blinkers on that the horses at flemington in the carnivals.
and (B) the sticking point where are we going to house 30,000 supporters. Subi is a sh1t hole for watching League, WACA is too small for capacity and so is NIB Stadium with dodgy corporate and media area.

Be nice if It did ever happen, but the closest we'll get to a test match or a serious game will be a $99 flight to Melbourne to watch the test there.

Well that attitude will certainly change things.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well as is often the case it is one step forward and one back when it comes to RL coverage in perth. Todays Sunday Times basically had zero NRL coverage. Poorest covg I have ever seen in the Sunday Times.

MsStorm

Bench
We aren't much better off here in Melbourne re league stories and WE HAVE a team in the NrL

I just discovered this forum believe it or not after all these years lol. Love it.

BDGS

Bench
No, Sunday Times is a News Ltd owned paper. The West is now part of the Ch7 media group.

Well that may be the difference.

We aren't much better off here in Melbourne re league stories and WE HAVE a team in the NrL

I just discovered this forum believe it or not after all these years lol. Love it.

I don't believe you. It says you joined in 2008 and have over 2,000 post.

LOL - Sydney is finding it difficult to get the Tests other than Aust vs PNG at Parra Stadium.

I don't see the boffins at NRL/ARL HQ sending a Test Match to Perth any time soon.

UNLESS of course someone plumps up $$$$$$ to stage it there.

Would be good though and why not? If the Perth Reds get in, should be shared around.

BDGS

Bench
Soon we won't be dealing with them though.

Soon it will be the IC, how different it will be under that remains to be seen.

j5o6hn

Juniors
Always remember this NEWS LTD are not Rugby Leagues friends that why there is so much argy bargy over the Commission,NEWS LTD are a pack of arseholes

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice to see a full RL news page in the West yesterday inc an advert for this weekends WARL games.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Good to see another pro bid article in todays Sunday Times, not online so I'll type it up later.