What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hasler and the Dogs - What happened?

Glendale

Juniors
Not a Doggies fan at all. But what is honestly the rush here?

1 week ago Des was a man on the chopping block, he wins one game and boom he's re-signed. We are 5 rounds into the season, what would be the harm in waiting a little longer and assessing how things are going then? Fair enough Des may be the best available coach for the Bulldogs right now, but what is the rush re-sign after one win?

Barkley

Bench
Contract negotiations have been going on for 18months now. So it's not really a hurried decision. Speculation about his sacking was coming from the media, fans and old dogs.

My thoughts are that the Dogs wanted to finalise his contract to end all of the speculation so they can focus on footy.

AJB1102

First Grade
I'll call it now Des will not see out this contract unless he makes some big changes to his roster and footballing philosophy.

dogslife

Coach
It'll probably upset a few of the plebs on the kennel, but he's a proven commodity, you don't just get rid of them unless there's someone better out there, which I'm not entirely sure there is.

Let's not pretend there's not a half a dozen clubs that would snap him up within a minute of his sacking either.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'll call it now Des will not see out this contract unless he makes some big changes to his roster and footballing philosophy.

The roster is the priority. The change to the footballing philosophy evolves with the roster.

t-ba

Post Whore
Not a Doggies fan at all. But what is honestly the rush here?

1 week ago Des was a man on the chopping block, he wins one game and boom he's re-signed. We are 5 rounds into the season, what would be the harm in waiting a little longer and assessing how things are going then? Fair enough Des may be the best available coach for the Bulldogs right now, but what is the rush re-sign after one win?

Manly held off re-signing him a couple of seasons out from his contract finishing and look how that worked out. Hasler will want his future sorted out and has zero compunctions signing ahead.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Life long dogs fan here, in my humble opinion I believe des is slowly killing this club, his player retention is moronic at best. His style is disgraceful to watch as a fan. Our 9, 7 , and 1 are really f**king bad, we are about to let graham and Sam go but keep tolman, f**k me. Let's give lichaa and Moses life long deals worth millions for being total useless merkins. des keeps letting the wrong players go, I appreciate his efforts but his style is tried and tested and old and stale !!. His style of front rowers ball playing died in 2012 along with watching any excitement watching this team. I've been watching this team go backwards since that GF against Souths.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
I was one of the people who rated Des highly back in 2012, now not so much. There have been some serious judgement errors by Des over the last 5 years. The worst being:

1. Letting Ennis go and paying pretty good money to Lichaa. Lichaa is average at best, and that is being generous.

2. Moving J.Reynolds from hooker to the halves. Not even sure if it was Des but whoever did it is an idiot. Reynolds is far more suited to playing hooker.

3. Mbye, enough said.
Don't forget hoppa , garbage. Des has officially lost the plot, and is hoping Foran saves his arse, because I know woods won't.