What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hasler and the Dogs - What happened?

Barkley

Bench
Yep, he hasn't lived up to that price tag. I think Moses would be a good 5/8 if he played next to a decent Half.

But he has shown that he can't lead a team around the park.

Spot On

Coach
I am officially off the Mbye train....good athlete but not a footy player. Dogs need to make a change in the halves.

The game has become obsessed with 'good athletes' and as a result there are f**k all footballers left.

Something has to change.

I nominate pissing the interchange off and having some footballers with skill back into play making positions and encouraging the ball to actually be passed. Even some centres who can pass would be welcomed.

Grapple

Bench
See, your avatar hints that you're referring to Bulldogs, but you definitely described the Dragons there...

Stop trying to make this about your team. We are easily better than you guys in every aspect. Quit trying to rob us of our potential do anything significant, bastards!

BennyV

Referee
Stop trying to make this about your team. We are easily better than you guys in every aspect. Quit trying to rob us of our potential do anything significant, bastards!
Apparently so. Even when we win they let me down...

Basil Brush

Juniors
There are so many problems at Canterbury that it is not funny.

Their spine is rubbish. Hoppa is slow as with no creativity (when he chooses to play), Reynolds tries hard but not much else, Mbye has talent as a running half but struggles with most other stuff, and Lichaa just disappears most of the time.

I will be very surprised if they make the 8 this year.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
EL10UhT.gif

some11

Referee
A field goal, something, anything.

Maybe bait an opposition player into getting themselves sent off to make it easier?

Rabbit toes

First Grade
This post was prompted by the 2017 top 8 flops thread, and the quite a few posters believing the Broncos will miss the 8 this year. I remember when the signing was first announced, Bennett's move to the Broncos was talked up by fans of various clubs (not just the Broncos) as their great new hope, obviously off the back of his successes previously at the Broncos.

Remarkable how much has changed in the following years. It started off strong, with a GF appearance against Cowboys in 2015 where they lost. That was Milford's breakout year, which contributed a fair bit to their success clearly. Ever since then however, Bennett's broncos have seen a steady decline. Runners-up became 5th in 2016 only to go out in week 2 of the finals against Cowboys.

Considering the pedigree Wayne walked into the joint with in 2015, his results have been average at best. 1 GF appearance notwithstanding, he previously led the broncos to many finals appearances, 5 GF's and 5 premierships, one of which was the 15-8 schooling of Melbourne. He was being talked up as still an elite coach up there with Bellyache and Hasler. So why such a big drop off in success?

For mine, their recruitment and player management under his watch has been horrendous. The word that comes to mind is "boring". They don't have many players capable of the individual brilliance that the likes of Barba and Milford are capable of, and their pack, physically small compared to other clubs, can't provide a good enough platform to mask the severe lack of flair in the spine and backline. Anthony Milford and Ben Hunt just don't seem to have what it takes to be a premiership halves pairing. In fact in all honesty, Hunt is a liability more than anything else. His handling issues on field see him drop it far more often than any half should ever (his grand final knock-on is the stuff of legend, just as one example). By extension Milford, for all his obvious talent just doesn't have enough to carry the whole spine/backline on his own.

This, combined with certain players like Sam Thaiday among others being over the hill and even worse off season gains and losses this year and things aren't looking great for Wayne and the Stable. The mighty have fallen bigly.
Bigly!

Yoda

Juniors
The game has become obsessed with 'good athletes' and as a result there are f**k all footballers left.

Something has to change.

I nominate pissing the interchange off and having some footballers with skill back into play making positions and encouraging the ball to actually be passed. Even some centres who can pass would be welcomed.

Spot on Spot On.

I've seen a shift in junior rep teams to pick athletes with size rather than genuine footballers. If it keeps going we may only have a few halfbacks running around in 10 years time.

some11

Referee
What a load of shit, remember when they tried to sign all four Mata'utia brothers.

Not to mention the balls-up with Fifita.

Latest posts