What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hasler Sacked!

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Demetriou or the Walker Brothers would be the ideal options for mine. JD for obvious reason, we know all about his potential.
But the Walker Bros as well because of their success in QLD Cup and alike. I've heard nothing but praise for them and I remember reading an article about Hunt's comeback from reserve grade (the side the Walkers coach) and he had nothing but admiration for them. He basically said they were the sole reason for his return to form.
If they can do that with Benny after just one game, I'm salivating at the thought of what they could do with him and the rest of our squad over a full season.
They're unorthodox, we need a little bit of that.

emu62

Juniors
Suggest we spend some money on a strike centre and one gun winger instead.

A blind drovers dog could take us to the 8 next season with a couple of key additions, maybe even Mary !
Given a choice I'll take the blind drovers dog thanks

possm

Coach
I have a couple of massive problems with us potentially signing Des. Our best asset right now is our junior system and Des treats junior systems the way Blake Ferguson treats women's personal space. He is to junior systems what a whippersnipper is to a lawn. He also destroys his club's salary cap with backended contracts and then walks out before he has to deal with the repercussions. We're only just getting over Bennett doing the exact same thing after he salted the earth in 2011.

I don't think Hasler's worth it. I'd be going after Neil Henry.
What you really meant to day is that the Dogs have a crap junior system with very little talent coming through, so they have to raid other clubs for good players. The pressure the Dogs Board put's on a coach to succeed means that back ended contracts are the only way to recruit a top side at the Dogs.

At the Dragons, Des will have Millward as his recruitment officer and Doust as his check book; a much better situation don't you think?

grouch

First Grade
No one turned bennett down.

The reason the cowboys turned him down was Tallis was inside the cowboys club and told the club not to sign Bennett.....because tallis is a vengeful dick still smarting from being benched in his last game he played at the broncos

No one else turned bennett down.
So.. you admit the Cowboys turned him down. The other club that turned him down was, funnily enough, the Bulldogs. Roy Masters wrote about it at the time. The "family club" were sacking Folkes but chose another of the family, Kevin Moore, instead of the available Bennett.

Haslers record over the past three years is no better than marys, bennett never sunk that low. Never.
Both false. Hasler has more finals appearances and more finals wins. It is objectively better

Bennett's Broncos finished 8th ibn 2007 and were flogged 40-0 in the opening semi. He also missed the finals twice with Newcastle.
Haslers style is more boring than marys, his communication skillls are cave man like, he has no plan B....same as mary.

It hasnt been a one year blip, its three years now....hasler is finished.

Boring, plain, simple strategies he employs is straight out if steve price and marys note book.

Yeahhh.....lets take another loser.

Nope.....time for a fresh face.....JD.
This is all complete nonsense. Des Hasler turned both Manly and Canterbury from also-rans into contenders, if not, premiers. He has demonstrated this ability at two different clubs, two different environments. His public facade communication style has clearly fooled you, because within the sanctum of teams it has obviously worked again and again - and players love him, petulant underperforming whiners like Michael Lichaa aside. To call him a loser is utterly ridiculous and makes a mockery of your argument

Hasler is perfect for us. Our insular club, our inept board, have only seen success when an experienced coach from outside the postcode comes in and rules the place with authority. I don't see Jason Demetriou fitting this bill, as talented as he undoubtedly is.

grouch

First Grade
I have a couple of massive problems with us potentially signing Des. Our best asset right now is our junior system and Des treats junior systems the way Blake Ferguson treats women's personal space. He is to junior systems what a whippersnipper is to a lawn. He also destroys his club's salary cap with backended contracts and then walks out before he has to deal with the repercussions. We're only just getting over Bennett doing the exact same thing after he salted the earth in 2011.

I don't think Hasler's worth it. I'd be going after Neil Henry.
Do you think our supposed best asset has been managed well over the last 6 years? How much worse could Hasler possibly be? he did give NRL debuts to players like Josh Jackson, Dale Finucane, Mbye and Montoya

And I think the whole salary cap trouble thing is a bit overstated.. the trouble didn't harm Manly too badly - they kept on contending after he left. And a convincing argument could be made that the Dogs team with Foran,Woods and Nu Brown is better than one with Reynolds, Graham and Lichaa.

possm

Coach
Jason D with out any second thought.
It will not happen, but it needs to.

All great coaches had one year as their first in charge.

Go back and check out first and second year coaching records of the great coaches, it shows a new coach can have great success if they have a strong background in coaching teams in other grades and competitions.

JD is prime.

Other than JD, if its not Bellamy, Greene, Creeping, Cleary or even Flano.... I couldn't give a damn.

If mary stays.....pray that Hunt and Graham lead us powerfully on field and call the shots.
If JD was going to coach the Dragons, it would have happened in 2017. There will be pressure on the Board to grab either Madge or Hasler. The resistance will come from the Young and Millward factions as deals have been done regarding the career progression of their sons. So it's time for the Board to stand up and be counted and rid this club of these old boy deals.

Doust needs to sack the coaching staff and recommend the Dragons hire either Madge or Hasler with Millward as their recruitment officer and maybe Young and Hornby as reserve grade coach.. Maybe these two apron sting hanger-oners will learn from an experienced coach and obtain some coaching credibility for a future coaching stint in the ESL.

Doust needs to find the money - a sponsor for our coaching staff - in order to make it an EASY decision for the Board.

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Paul Green every day of the week. He may have a bit of the merkin about him but f**k it, he has good results on the board
Cheaper, more exciting option....JD.
We should go cap in hand and bring him back straight after the GF.
Totally capable and smart young coach who has just spent the last year with Bennet getting the Broncos to where they are now.
Has better credentials than most of the new brigade.

Agree re JD
But he will not come back while doust is in charge and I don't blame him.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
If JD was going to coach the Dragons, it would have happened in 2017. There will be pressure on the Board to grab either Madge or Hasler. The resistance will come from the Young and Millward factions as deals have been done regarding the career progression of their sons. So it's time for the Board to stand up and be counted and rid this club of these old boy deals.

Doust needs to sack the coaching staff and recommend the Dragons hire either Madge or Hasler with Millward as their recruitment officer and maybe Young and Hornby as reserve grade coach.. Maybe these two apron sting hanger-oners will learn from an experienced coach and obtain some coaching credibility for a future coaching stint in the ESL.

Doust needs to find the money - a sponsor for our coaching staff - in order to make it an EASY decision for the Board.

Possm
None of this will happen while doust and his mate the board are in charge.
Mary will still be there next year.
I hope I'm wrong .

Latest posts