What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hasler to coach in 2018

BrissyRedV

Bench
Who was that English coach who came out here a few years back and stated he would like to coach in NRL - he was coaching the English rugby league side at the time? No nonsense type of guy had an air of authority about him, can't recall his name???
Steve McNamara?

BrissyRedV

Bench
Young no chance in the whole wide world - you have to remember Milliards words.

"We want the coach to be able to bring on our younger players in the squad and be able to produce a competitive team from the squad of players he's been given"

I cant see Millward hiring Young to manage Hunt and co....lol....its ludicrous!!
That is all suggestive of Youngs experience! He and Hornby have both progressed from the Harold Matt's and under 20s demonstrating ability to coach young players and both those squads were given to them without the need for them to be part of their recruitment...

Dragon for life

Juniors
Why is everyone assuming a new coach has been signed up...there is absolutely no evidence to suggest this has happened. This is just like last season where everyone was absolutely certain Cleary had been signed up...and we were all devastated when this turned out to be wrong. No new coach has been signed up for next season!! and it is highly unlikely the Board has even spoken to anyone. I think people on the forum are giving the Board way, way, way too much credit....they are sitting on their hands hoping, hoping that Mary comes through for them and if he doesn't, then they will start looking for a coach..
WTF does "if he doesn't"mean. Surely he has proven this already.

deansykes

Juniors
Catalan Dragons a misfit club in France playing ESL with a bunch of no hopers, bad boys & pensioners many ex NRL hardly a strong club.
At least Walters went there very early on and experienced life away from the NRL and the Broncos..
How many great coaches has Catalans had and what success did they achieve as a comparison?
Who do you think should be the coaches to be looked at on the basis of what was posted earlier is substantially correct?
All well and good for people to say no but what is the real and viable alternative?
Good point re Catalan and their discipline and track record... but its the only team Walters has coached at club level so has to be looked at.

I dont think there are many viable options at the moment to be honest. i'm not sold on Hasler, dont think he is the right fit for the club. I wish JD was given the chance, but that ship has sailed

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Millward is manipulating the playing roster to what he thinks it should be, experienced coaches won't put up with that, so in the end when all the coaches reject us, Millward will go to the board and reluctantly tell them he will take on the coaching duties for the next 5 years.....

possm

Coach
Millward is manipulating the playing roster to what he thinks it should be, experienced coaches won't put up with that, so in the end when all the coaches reject us, Millward will go to the board and reluctantly tell them he will take on the coaching duties for the next 5 years.....
Drain the Swamp!!!!

Reactions: Qdf

grouch

First Grade
Catalan Dragons a misfit club in France playing ESL with a bunch of no hopers, bad boys & pensioners many ex NRL hardly a strong club.
At least Walters went there very early on and experienced life away from the NRL and the Broncos..
How many great coaches has Catalans had and what success did they achieve as a comparison?
Mick Potter took Catalans from a wooden spoon in 2006 (the club's first season in Superleague), to an elimination final in 2008.

When Kevin Walters took over in 09, they reached the finals but not as far. The following year 2010, he took them to a wooden spoon

After he left they signed Trent Robinson, who immediately took them back to a prelim final in 2010, and another one in 2011.

BennyV

Referee
Mick Potter took Catalans from a wooden spoon in 2006 (the club's first season in Superleague), to an elimination final in 2008.

When Kevin Walters took over in 09, they reached the finals but not as far. The following year 2010, he took them to a wooden spoon

After he left they signed Trent Robinson, who immediately took them back to a prelim final in 2010, and another one in 2011.
But keep in mind that he was a good player, has an attacking mindset and will open doors to a flood of young QLD talent that our recruitment team will overlook for some reason...how can we not sign him up!!!

On a side note, Mick Potter wouldn't be a terrible option...

Old Timer

Coach

And how did the rosters compare?

Old Timer

Coach
But keep in mind that he was a good player, has an attacking mindset and will open doors to a flood of young QLD talent that our recruitment team will overlook for some reason...how can we not sign him up!!!

On a side note, Mick Potter wouldn't be a terrible option...
Benny V
I never said sign him, I said he was an option that should not be discounted.
You seem hell bent against him.
If none of the names you bandy around were available but Walters was would you take him in preference to Mc Gregor, Hornby or Young?
Form my interpretation most people who talk of Walters are doing so on the premiss of Hasler, Cleary, JD, Tony Smith not being available so why the angst whenever his name comes up?
You pull the Walters straw man apart but only offer straw men yourself.

Old Timer

Coach
You didn't mention that in your initial question. Moving the goalposts?

In any case, it's an easy enough thing to find for yourself. At a glance, in his wooden spoon season Walters probably had the best squad of the lot, imo.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/super-league-xv-2010/catalans-dragons/summary.html
Not trying to move the goal posts just a simple question as I had not looked up any details.
To me coaching Catalans is like the Warriors a poisoned chalice as there is always some promise but an awful lot of downside it it doesn't go right.

grouch

First Grade
Not trying to move the goal posts just a simple question as I had not looked up any details.
To me coaching Catalans is like the Warriors a poisoned chalice as there is always some promise but an awful lot of downside it it doesn't go right.
Trent Robinson helped Catalans fulfil that promise

And I know an off-contract coach that did the same with the Warriors...

Dragonslayer

First Grade
What a merry-go-round this has become (no pun intended).
McGregor is our coach, endorsed by the Board late last year and stated as "having a bright future" and I'm sure they are just waiting for our team to have a winning streak (lets say 3 games on the trot) before triggering a further extension. No work required, just a signature......job done for X amount of time.
If McGregor fails (I'm talking about in their eyes, not ours) then they may start to look around at what's "available". Hasler....mmm no, Cleary....mmm no. Demetriou...mmm no. Walters....mmm maybe etc etc.
We are more than likely going to have to accept the fact that we will promote from within, or at the very worst throw a lifeline to a sacked coach......my guess Jason Taylor!

Old Timer

Coach
Doesn't mean he's unavailable

You're settling for yet another inferior, cheap option.
Grouch,
Your quote is simply incorrect you need to read and digest my posts instead of skimming over them.
My discussion re Walters is predicated on certain people not being available and therefore the club having very limited options.
All the premiss of certain other people is that everybody is available and one of them has to be better than Walters.
They are only a better option if factually they are available and I interpreted what they have said or what has been said and written about them as meaning they are not available.
Given these circumstances as I asked of Benny V would you take Walters if he was available ahead of McGregor, Hornby and Young?

BrissyRedV

Bench
Doesn't mean he's unavailable

You're settling for yet another inferior, cheap option.
I haven't seen anyone settling for anyone just a discussion on the merits of coaching options in our eyes. It means nothing really, because Doust and Co. will pick whom ever they want which most likely be an internal appointment. Again.

grouch

First Grade
Grouch,
Your quote is simply incorrect you need to read and digest my posts instead of skimming over them.
My discussion re Walters is predicated on certain people not being available and therefore the club having very limited options.
All the premiss of certain other people is that everybody is available and one of them has to be better than Walters.
They are only a better option if factually they are available and I interpreted what they have said or what has been said and written about them as meaning they are not available.
Given these circumstances as I asked of Benny V would you take Walters if he was available ahead of McGregor, Hornby and Young?
Rightio. If that's the choice, then Walters I spose. But if that truly is the choice, the club's management have failed badly yet again
I haven't seen anyone settling for anyone just a discussion on the merits of coaching options in our eyes. It means nothing really, because Doust and Co. will pick whom ever they want which most likely be an internal appointment. Again.
Pretty much, yep.