What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hasler to coach in 2018

Old Timer

Coach
Grouch
If Walters was available and the others not, I too would take him above what is already at the club and yes you are correct the management team, if the above is true have knowingly placed the club in a precarious position yet again.
I posted a long, long time ago that I believed it was all being stitched up that Mary would get an extension and I still firmly believe that to be the case.
All this other talk is just to fill in time until that announcement is made IMO.
If the club had of gone 3-0 it would have be made this week but that bird has flown and as we copped a flogging against Parra and maybe another 1 coming against the Sharks the next opportunity is after Rd 6 as potentially Rds 4 - 6 are reasonable chances for us to perform well if not win.

FlameThrower

Bench
Come the end of the season there are a number of coaches being shown the door.
Taylor / Tigers
Barrett / Manly
Mary / Dragons
Hasler / Dogs
Macguire / Souths

That's a lot of shuffling to be had and on the sidelines is Matthew Elliott and Ivan Cleary... with dark horse of Jason Demitriou - don't rule out one of the above as 2018 coach option.

But If we end up with Hornby or Young, that's it for me...final straw:rage:Gone.

mickeylane

Bench
I haven't seen anyone settling for anyone just a discussion on the merits of coaching options in our eyes. It means nothing really, because Doust and Co. will pick whom ever they want which most likely be an internal appointment. Again.
There is no way an internal appointment is on the cards....no chance - they're not going to finally get their retention right for the first time in 10 years and give it to a bunch of rookies to manage ...no way..

I can see McGregor being retained and that would f**k us...but I'm seeing one of the below coming in..
Hasler
Demetriou w a Mathew Head
Walters
Sheens
Potter w a Mathew Head

BrissyRedV

Bench
There is no way an internal appointment is on the cards....no chance - they're not going to finally get their retention right for the first time in 10 years and give it to a bunch of rookies to manage ...no way..

I can see McGregor being retained and that would f**k us...but I'm seeing one of the below coming in..
Hasler
Demetriou w a Mathew Head
Walters
Sheens
Potter w a Mathew Head
We live in hope that history does not repeat. I thought there was no chance of Mary being retained at the end of last season and wrong I was then...

BennyV

Referee
Benny V
I never said sign him, I said he was an option that should not be discounted.
You seem hell bent against him.
If none of the names you bandy around were available but Walters was would you take him in preference to Mc Gregor, Hornby or Young?
Form my interpretation most people who talk of Walters are doing so on the premiss of Hasler, Cleary, JD, Tony Smith not being available so why the angst whenever his name comes up?
You pull the Walters straw man apart but only offer straw men yourself.
If the choice is Mary, Hornby, Young or Walters, then yes, Walters wins. However, if the choice was Mary, Hornby, Young or literally any other person, alive or dead, to have seen a game of rugby league then we'd still not be choosing the first three.

I'm not hell bent against Walters, I'm hell bent against not getting the best option for the club. The glaringly obvious one is Cleary, and if he has knocked us back then the club should be asking why and what it would take for him to get here. Whatever it is, it's gotta be better than appointing a bloke with a poor ESL record and no NRL experience just because of the reason I listed above.
If not Cleary, there are other options with good records in NRL and/or ESL. As I said, Mick Potter is worth a look in before Walters; not sure what he's doing at the moment but he did ok overseas and was bringing the Tigpies up well before the Farah saga destroyed them. And in terms of unproven coaches, there are still better options (as mentioned, Brennan or Demetriou) and if they are not willing to give up assistant positions for an NRL coaching gig here then we should be asking why and rectifying before settling for a less impressive option.

So yes, Walters is better than the bottom-of-the-barrel options we have internally, but there are PLENTY of available options that we should be working to secure before settling with him. I mean, outside of the champion QLD SOO team, have you seen what a Kevin Walters coached team produces?

St Georgio

Juniors
Mick Potter
Club
Years
Team
2006–08 Catalans Dragons GMS 89, W41,D3, L45 46%
2009–10 St. HelensGMS 68,W 49,D 0, L19, 72%
2011–12 Bradford Bulls GMS 58,W 25,D3,L 30, 43%
Potter coached St. George Illawarra's Premier League side for four years before being appointed in February 2006 as Head Coach for the French rugby league team Catalans Dragons, succeeding Steve Deakin.[2] Potter coached the team to the 2007 Challenge Cup Final and in 2008 was named Super League coach of the year.

Potter succeeded Daniel Anderson as head coach of St. Helens at the beginning of the 2009 season.[3]

In May 2010 he announced that he is to leave St. Helens at the end of the 2010 season. In July 2010 Potter signed a 2-year contract to return to Bradford Bulls, this time as head coach, commencing 2011. Despite the club being placed in receivership in 2012, the team was on the verge of making the semis as Potter remained as unpaid coach.
You would think his resume would be more impressive than Kevin Walters.
I also think he was given the rough end of the stick from the Tigpies, I actually think he could be really good for US, Mick Potter is a Red V man. St Helens/St George!
If you were to see Potters Resume before joining the Tigpies , he would have been the best selection for our club smashing McGregor and Price out of the Park, this is the type of resume that I would like to see before giving a rookie the job!

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If the choice is Mary, Hornby, Young or Walters, then yes, Walters wins. However, if the choice was Mary, Hornby, Young or literally any other person, alive or dead, to have seen a game of rugby league then we'd still not be choosing the first three.

I'm not hell bent against Walters, I'm hell bent against not getting the best option for the club. The glaringly obvious one is Cleary, and if he has knocked us back then the club should be asking why and what it would take for him to get here. Whatever it is, it's gotta be better than appointing a bloke with a poor ESL record and no NRL experience just because of the reason I listed above.
If not Cleary, there are other options with good records in NRL and/or ESL. As I said, Mick Potter is worth a look in before Walters; not sure what he's doing at the moment but he did ok overseas and was bringing the Tigpies up well before the Farah saga destroyed them. And in terms of unproven coaches, there are still better options (as mentioned, Brennan or Demetriou) and if they are not willing to give up assistant positions for an NRL coaching gig here then we should be asking why and rectifying before settling for a less impressive option.

So yes, Walters is better than the bottom-of-the-barrel options we have internally, but there are PLENTY of available options that we should be working to secure before settling with him. I mean, outside of the champion QLD SOO team, have you seen what a Kevin Walters coached team produces?

I'm curious to see if Walters is so complimentary to us on Sunday (assuming he's doing our game of course), we couldn't do much wrong by him last week. Makes you wonder a little bit.

As for Potter, I think he would be a good choice for the HC role. He has NRL experience, he coached o/s and was a lower grade coach with us, so he knows the system. The Tigpies are or were a poison chalice for any coach particularly with Farrah there, so it will be interesting to see if JT can get them firing this year.

Potter would be my first choice and he would be available straight away as I think he's currently only coaching one of the Islander teams. As for the "rookies" I would give Brennan first shot, he's done a pretty good apprenticeship under several coaches at Penrith and has a good reputation and only just missed out on the Knights job. I think JD is being groomed to take over from Bennett. Walters would be 3rd choice.

possm

Coach

The official reason Cleary knocked us back is because he refused to did-lodge a sitting coach. Maybe the real reason is that the Board insisted on Millward maintaining control of pathways and recruitment. I couldn't see any good head coach agreeing to such lunacy. The coach is accountable for the success of the team.

mickeylane

Bench
I'm curious to see if Walters is so complimentary to us on Sunday (assuming he's doing our game of course), we couldn't do much wrong by him last week. Makes you wonder a little bit.

As for Potter, I think he would be a good choice for the HC role. He has NRL experience, he coached o/s and was a lower grade coach with us, so he knows the system. The Tigpies are or were a poison chalice for any coach particularly with Farrah there, so it will be interesting to see if JT can get them firing this year.

Potter would be my first choice and he would be available straight away as I think he's currently only coaching one of the Islander teams. As for the "rookies" I would give Brennan first shot, he's done a pretty good apprenticeship under several coaches at Penrith and has a good reputation and only just missed out on the Knights job. I think JD is being groomed to take over from Bennett. Walters would be 3rd choice.
I noticed that as well - he was very complimentary of our ineptness! I almost felt he had agreed to coach us alraedy

FlameThrower

Bench
I can't see anything in Walters that will change what we have now...
St Georgio, listed Mick Potters CV that's not too bad...

Dannyboy80

Juniors
Rumour doing the rounds on twitter is that Mary is being resigned for two more years... no basis to it just yet, but I'll keep a close eye..

Frank Facer

First Grade
Could it be that those behind the scenes who have power and control want to keep that power and control? I believe that it has been the case since Bennett left us. If they resign Mary, who apparently has no say in recruitment right now and was the case with Price for a while too, they will keep that control. Any good coach, such as Bellamy, Bennett, Hasler, Cleary, Arthur, etc would want to have control of the players that he wants and the players he doesn't want. Is that why we are having trouble getting to top line coach to coach us?

A good coach is very important, but I think our biggest problem lies behind the scenes. We need a complete overhaul of the board, CEO, Club President, etc and what ever position Craig Young holds. I am still giving Millward time to prove himself. The signing of Hunt is a step in the right direction.

Latest posts