What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hasler to coach in 2018

BennyV

Referee
Didn't Bennett in his wisdom, announce in the very first week of his final year that he was going to Newcastle?
To throw petrol on the fire, he then proceeded to take our players with him ( Beau Scott )
All that in the first week of 2011 nrl season.
False. He didnt announce it until about 6 rounds in. And he only took Boyd with him. We didn't offer Scott a contract, and only then did Wayne throw him a lifeline.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Perhaps the previous precedent is more suitable for the Des situation seeing as it involved both him and the initial move to the Dogs.

Anyway, we are already wondering why he is still there and if this forum is anything to go by, I don't think there could be anymore angst. I do get your point, but IMO, if there had been a deal signed we would know about it and I think it would at least give us fans a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. It may increase membership numbers as some fans that didn't re-new may as they see change coming as well as a number of other benefits.

As for the players, they are all still playing for contracts and their futures so I cannot see it affecting them that much. If they want top dollar, they will perform no matter what is going on. Personally, I think ol' twinkletoes is on the money. Des probably hasn't even been approached yet.
I will believe we have a new top line coach when I actually see him dressed in our gear carrying out training drills on the oval.....until then its all purely speculation Hasler, Demetriou,Walters, Cleary...the way we are travelling we could end up with Donald Trump

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Yes , I believe that you are pretty close on the money there . I , we , have all said when the news first broke of the possibility of Dessie coming to the Dragons , that the signing of a 1st rate coach must have top priority .
The Dragons board could not stand around with their hands in their pockets , hoping that best available coach was going to fall into their laps .

So at this point of season 2017 , you would at the very least , had expected the board to have made more than just preliminary enquiries . At any well run club , I am sure that they would had wined and dined their target by now .
As far as a signature on a contract is concerned , perhaps sometime later , possibly a month or two down the track .

However , as you have said Twinkletoes , with the track record of our mob , they may still very well believe that the best coach will arrive on the clubs doorstep in the next thunderstorm .

Gareth
As far as I can find out no pen to paper as yet so not looking as good as I would like.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I will believe we have a new top line coach when I actually see him dressed in our gear carrying out training drills on the oval.....until then its all purely speculation Hasler, Demetriou,Walters, Cleary...the way we are travelling we could end up with Donald Trump

BSE
The donald might not be so bad.
He can build a wall that no will get past.lol

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I don't even know where this rumour about Hasler coaching us came from...it sounds just like the Cleary is coming saga from last season. From what I see there is no credible source for jumping to conclusions that our Board has even spoken to any coaches.

Bingo.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
From memory, we didn't offer Beau Scott a contract. He then spoke to Bennett who jumped on it. Another smart move by our board. Deemed too old!!!

Correct.

Scott played a season under Price (2012) before being 'moved on'.

The belief of some that Bennett plundered Dragons' players to Newcastle is a fallacy. The only two that went with him were Boyd (who was always going to follow 'Daddy') and McKinnon, who wanted to be closer to his family.

MattoDragon

Juniors
All correct.

Hasler is a good coach, one of the best in the game. But not even he and an awesome pack of forwards will go far when you have the wrong players in key positions. Lichaa, Mbye, Reynolds and Hopoate are probably a worse spine than ours. Their attack was as bad as ours.

He did win 2 comps at Manly when he had the likes of Orford, Stewart, DCE, Foran, Lyon etc pulling the strings. Proper spine players who know how to play footy.

Hasler is a good coach but he's not a miracle worker. If he does come in 2018, with a possible spine containing Hunt, Field, Dufty, Mann etc, there are endless possibilities.
The players you've named will serve us well into the future, and whether its Des, Ivan or Kevvie, I think we have the players to give them a good platform for success.

MattoDragon

Juniors
The Grand Final years in 2012 and 2014 had 2 important components. A hard nosed hooker and leader in Ennis, and a proper organising half in Hodkinson. Add an electrifying fullback in Barba in 2012 who had a year similar to Hayne in 2009.

These components have been missing the last 2 years and no amount of coaching will help your results if you have the wrong players steering the ship. Ennis especially was a huge loss and the Sharks wouldn't have won a comp without him.

Hence even if we do get Hasler in 2018, we still need the right guys steering the ship. Hunt is a good start, and if Field and Dufty develop, even better.
I agree with the 3 you've mentioned, very similar players to Dessie's grand final dogs. But the final piece in the spine is hooker and just don't think McInnes is up to it. Souths got rid of him for a reason, and after watching both Farah and Cook totally out shine him, I'm not confident McInnes is the man. Guys like Ennis, Cameron Smith and Farah work with their halfback to run the team around the park. I honestly think we are lacking that final piece to be a genuine threat in 2018 and beyond.

MattoDragon

Juniors
Many Clubs have to make decisions when it comes to salary cap management. The secret is to try and replace high priced players with similar quality at a lower price.

For example, I believe it will be likely that the Dragons extend Mann and play him at 6 in 2018 with Widdop being let go. This should represent a positive on the field and a positive effect on our salary cap total.

A Milne for Dugan and one of our young speedy wingers for Nightingale should also provide a similar result.

Sometimes players let go show improvement at other Clubs while their replacement don't live up to expectation. Skilled management decisions can reduce this circumstance.
In 2018, I very much doubt there will be anyone other than Jai Field filling the 6 Jersey.
however, do get what your saying, and good management will succeed. but I do have concerns if Doust and Millward are still in charge of that side of things. After all, in just this last six months we have paid overs for McDonald, big overs for Vaughan and even bigger overs for Hunt.
That concerns me

MattoDragon

Juniors
Other than letting Ennis go, I can't think of any others?

But as others have said, no one could have predicted that Ennis would have his best 2 years at the end of his career, nor that Lichaa would be such a bust.
In fairness to Lichaa, he was gun at the shirees because he was allowed to run the ball and be a very attacking hooker. Des has tried to change him to an all out defensive hooker. So what made him the next big thing, was coached out of him.

MattoDragon

Juniors
I agree Hasler is our best option so let's hope the Club has already agreed to terms with him.
possm, I reckon they've come to terms with someone, otherwise I don't believe Frizell would have signed on for a long contract and there is no way Hunt was signing if he did not know who the coach is. The coach of a club is one of the first considerations to joining a club.

MattoDragon

Juniors
Starting to put a few puzzle pieces together regarding Hasler and if he will coach the Dragons in 2018 (or sooner)
1: The Dogs have not renewed Hasler's contract to date and removed an "offer" last year. This was about the same time there were rumours of us seeking a coach for 2017 to replace McGregor. Cleary seemed to be the one in question but later "declined". Hasler was in confrontation with the Dogs board.
2: Both McGregor's and Hasler's contracts expire in 2017.
3: Signing of Hunt. Although his could be seen as just a kid setting himself up for the future.
4: McGregor stating in an interview "Wether that be at the Dragons or somewhere else"
5: Reports from a very reliable source that Hasler and Cleal will be here in 2018
6: McGregor's retraction from all duties bar coaching (if you can call it that).

Point 6 is the most interesting IMO and it leads me to believe, and taking in point 4, that McGregor is our HC in 2017 and that's it. I think Hasler will come, but the interesting part is wether McGregor stays on as an assistant (ala McFadden) or is pushed out altogether. Personally, I prefer the latter option. In fact, McGregor could be just coaching this year to support his case to "stay on" in an assistant capacity.

Whilst it is all supposition, there does seem a noticeable distancing of McGregor and the HC role. One which I hope will lead to bigger and better things to come.
Hasler will bring his own assistants etc in. There is no way a coach of Hasler's standing would find any use for an incompetent failure.

Last edited:

MattoDragon

Juniors
Whilst the Tele is the worst newspaper in the world it had an article this morning saying Des is getting on much better with the Doggies boardroom post Xmas although with some there is still an issue but the situation is much more amenable.
It also states that Hasler has had no approach from St GI although states if Des is not to stay on at the Dogs then StGI are in the mix to make an offer.
Seems at odds with what others are saying.
I maintain our new coach will be Ivan Cleary. Des will head back to Manly and take Foran with him. Just a gut feeling and one I would prefer comes to reality.

MattoDragon

Juniors
As far as I can tell there will only b 2 clubs possibly looking for coaches next year
Dragons
Tigers
Bulldogs (possibly)

Every other club will have same coaching set up - so based on that scenario the below top line coaches will be available for hire..
Cleary
Walters
Jason Demetriou
Hasler (possibly)
Sheens
Potter
I think you could toss in Manly