HASLER

Discussion in 'St George Illawarra Dragons' started by LINESPEED, Oct 13, 2017.

1. LINESPEED

LINESPEED Juniors

Time to make the phone call Doust - and save everyone's arses, along with the coming season.

There is no better option than Hasler right now.
    Or are you choosing Mary over him FFS?
    Right now he'll come cheap.

2. Emu01

Emu01 Juniors

I agree we need a new coach but Des totally wrecked their cap by overspending by a million dollars even though he was warned by the Nrl to stop spending he kept on going.

The Bulldogs only had one local junior in their team in Reynolds,which tells me he can’t be bothered bringing local talent through to first grade just buy players..

I think he’d be a massive risk to our club.

We have taken the spending and recruitment away from Mary as to minimise mistakes. I don’t want to hand all that back to Des and see the dragons end up like the Bulldogs.

3. JohnnoMcJohnno

JohnnoMcJohnno Juniors

He's better than Mary, but maybe by not as much as you think. Bulldogs backline play was shit like ours, bulldogs forwards played the power game like ours, bulldogs hooker was told to stop running and just pass like ours, bulldogs fullback was a good kick returner but did nothing else like ours.

I see Hasler, Madge and Mary all coaching much the same game plan. Its yesterdays plan not what we need for tomorrow. May as well stick with Mary if Hasler is the alternative and save the money.

4. Life's Good

Life's Good First Grade

Dare to dream I say but the reality is Mary is going nowhere before the start of the season. Accept that or you are in for a tough off season.

Crush, hazzbeen and Dannyboy80 like this.
  5. Slippery Morris

Slippery Morris First Grade

Wow some bag Mary but then say we need Hasler. Wouldn't you want the team to move forward not backwards? Unlimited cap at the Dogs and still no comp and in the same time had rookies coach (Robinson, Flanno and Maguire) their teams to win a comp. When Maguire had his full team on the field they won most games unlike Hasler

Best available coaches are Jason Demitriou, Maguire then daylight.

6. SaintPauli

SaintPauli Juniors

Des Hasler is not the answer for our club moving forward as the last 12 months have indicated.
    We need a coach who recognizes the need for both a good forward pack , halves , 9 and fullback which we have, but to also bring in centres and wingers who can line break, catch high balls, have the speed to recover in defence. Our next priority signings or junior upgrades need to be in centers and wingers.
    I still believe Jason D is the answer as he has done enough over the last 5 years to get a crack.

7. possm

possm First Grade

At the moment Doust and the Board still sign off on the signing of players, Millward just finds the players and prepares the contract. Des would have had the Dogs board sign off on all the deals and of course the CEO and the Board would have been well aware of the cap balance each time they signed off on a contract.

TheOnlyTeam likes this.
  8. This Year?

This Year? Bench

a paperclip would be better than Mary. Hasler would at least add some dramatics to the post match interviews, but I don't think he would be a good fit for us. We need a man motivating type coach.

merahputih and ouryear like this.
  9. Emu01

Emu01 Juniors

Yes sorry Ralene Castle was signing off on Des’s over spending. Guess what they sacked her as well.. Sorry she resigned.(was pushed)

ouryear likes this.
  10. LINESPEED

LINESPEED Juniors

Agree Possm
    The Bankstown Mafia screwed Hasler over though
    And too many lumbering forwards - always searching for 'Cement-like' characters like Paul Langmack who ended Sterlo's career with a big hit.
    They haven't had a Mortimer or Lamb for a while either
    People do have short memories though:
    5 Grandfinals in 8 years wasn't too bad for Hasler in 2014
    Can't really see how coaches can lose ability that quickly.
    We couldn't miss the semis with him at the helm I reckon - still, if the forum wants Mary -
    well ..... let's all settle back for much of the same

11. 2010

2010 Juniors

JD has been mentioned in respect of the coaching job at the titans. Does that mean he would move from the Broncos.
    I would take him as our coach any day. But I am dreaming

12. dragonssamy61

dragonssamy61 Bench

I don't think you will see JD back at the dragons unfortunately.

13. BennyV

BennyV Coach

Hasler made grand finals with the likes of Sam Perret, Kris Keating and Josh Reynolds in his spine! He'd do great with our team.

As would Madge, Demetriou, Brennan, T.Smith. I'd also be open to...
    [​IMG]

14. ouryear

ouryear Juniors

You are joking right?
    F...king Des Hasler?

The guy who finished behind even Mary?

The guy who coaches the most boring football style in Australia?

The guy who needs grammar lessons... and a lesson on how to look people in the eye?

Lol...now I have heard everything.

From bad to ......

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  15. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Juniors

A few points:

1. SGI would need to pay McGregor out from the remainder of his contract; this won't happen given the club is in financial debt to the NRL.

2. The club has needed an EXPERIENCED coach since Price's departure, As a premiership winning coach, Hasler fits the above criteria perfectly.

3. Considering his lack of NRL experience, I don't understand the fawning over Demetriou. He may well work out as a first grade coach one day, but after the failures of Price and McGregor, SGI simply cannot afford to game again on a rookie.

Not that I believe he would return anyway.

SGMax and LINESPEED like this.
  16. LINESPEED

LINESPEED Juniors

Yeah Jimmy, we can't keep being a training ground for rookie coaches, especially with Young, Hornby & Head next cabs off the Old Boys' rank FFS.
    With astute signings and management that didn't get us into debt we shoulda won half a dozen titles at least since '79?

17. epDragon62

epDragon62 Bench

1. depressing really that is likely to be true.
    2. Despite criticism of Hasler I believe this to be correct and a new gig would freshen Hasler up
    3. I agree that SGI cannot go the rookie way again, however and paradoxically, I suspect JD would do well...

18. Saint_JimmyG

Saint_JimmyG Juniors

Shoulda, coulda, didn't.

Mind you, Saints got screwed by ex News Limited employee Bill Harrigan (not to mention, Chris Ward), and David "not held" Manson in '99 and '96 respectively.

19. LINESPEED

LINESPEED Juniors

Yeah a few years apprenticeship IN THE ESL does wonders

20. epDragon62

epDragon62 Bench

It’s settled then, Mary to the ESL!!