What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have the Media Forgotten

Canard

Immortal
There was an Geelong player in the last few years (cant remember his name), who got busted, and claimed "I was only holding it for my mates!"

The Melbourne press were totally on his side, and ran several articles about how he "his mates" were scum for not coming forward and claiming responsibility.

El Diablo

Post Whore
they actually mentioned this on League Life the other night

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/4ab91efb07ce3331bc599434127c94ea

Gavin Crosisca says there are ‘huge red flags’ when it comes to AFL players using illicit drugs
Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun
May 11, 2017 9:00pm

COLLINGWOOD premiership player and reformed drug addict Gavin Crosisca says it is “scary” to think AFL players are using the drug ice as fresh claims emerged this week of its use during the off-season.

Fox Sports host Yvonne Sampson claimed on the network on Wednesday night that she “ran into” two AFL players who were high on the drug over an unspecified “off-season”.

The allegations — which did not name the players or their club — were made on panel show “League Life” as a discussion was held about the drugs crisis which has engulfed the NRL.

“I ran into two AFL players in the off season and they were on ice and they said that’s OK, it’s off season,” Sampson said.

“It’s almost like they earned the right to let their hair down and party because it wasn’t during the season, they weren’t in a club environment, they were out doing their own thing.”

Sampson went to ground on Thursday, not responding to attempts to contact her by the Herald Sun.

A Fox Sports spokeswoman said Sampson would not be discussing the matter further while the AFL said it had no comment to make over the unsubstantiated claims.

But Crosisca said there were “huge red flags” about illicit drug use among AFL players, who were playing Russian roulette with both their careers and their health.

“I’ve heard the stories and the rumours about guys using ice and it’s pretty scary to think AFL players are using that drug,” Crosisca said.

“Ice isn’t a drug you can dabble with. It’s not like going out and having 10 beers. It’s a highly-addictive drug that completely takes over the dopamine system of your brain and causes you brain damage.”

The AFL changed its three-strike illicit drugs policy to a two-strike policy in October 2015, with players receiving a $5000 fine and counselling with their first positive test.

Crosisca said any players using illicit drugs knowing those risks were most likely already deep into the addiction cycle and needed more support.

“For them to still be taking that risk means there’s issues,” he said.

“They’re not worrying about the risks and that’s part of that drug-taking culture is we continue to use despite negative consequences and that’s already starting for some of them clearly.”

In a column for the Geelong Advertiser in March, former Melbourne star David Schwarz said the change to a two-strike policy “makes no difference”, adding even former Columbian drug lord Pablo Escobar “wouldn’t have received three strikes if he were playing football in the AFL”.

Overall illicit drug testing results are no longer made public by the AFL but 2013 findings showed just 15 positive tests for stimulants from a total pool of 1998 tests.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...s/news-story/924984d950caccbd79cf028992641f31

AFL boss’ blunt response to Fox Sports star’s damning drugs claim

f41eb086634bc770f20088016b02a928

Foxsports FOX League Channel host Yvonne Sampson.Source:FOX SPORTS

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan has hit back over a claim that two unidentified players had admitted taking the drug ice, saying allegations are easy.

McLachlan also defended the character of AFL players.

Earlier this week, Fox Sports rugby league host Yvonne Sampson said she had seen the two players taking the illicit drug in the off-season.

“They said that’s okay — it’s off season,” she said.

“It’s almost like they earned the right to let their hair down and party because it wasn’t during the season; they weren’t in a club environment; they were out doing their own thing.”

Sampson did not name the players or their clubs.

cb9e26f3890cc59c5aaad22c6e56d6a2

Kevin Sheedy and AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan.Source:AAP

Her comments were made as the NRL reeled from a succession of drugs scandals.

“I’ve been told of the allegations, I obviously can’t comment other than to say that our players aren’t perfect but they are good men and we have great confidence in our drug policy,” McLachlan said.

“I’m not really going to comment but again. Allegations are easy. Again, all I can say. Our players aren’t perfect, I don’t know what the reference is to but I have confidence in our players and our drug policy.

The AFL has an illicit drugs code, separate to the standard WADA anti-doping policy.

ClM2ajDUYAAchk5.jpg

El Diablo

Post Whore
So Vonnie has launched a bigger attack on AFL in 3 seconds than the brains trust at the NRL has been able to organise in the past decade.

Legend.

Give her Greenberg's job. Can't do any worse.
the AFL media and fans are out for her blood on twitter

butchmcdick

Immortal
Former Carlton player claims drug use rife in AFL
Updated 18 May 2005, 7:04am

PHOTO: Laurence Angwin ... says drug use common in the AFL. (Getty Images)
MAP: Carlton 3053
The Carlton Football Club says it is disappointed over fresh drug claims by former player Laurence Angwin, who was sacked last year for taking ecstasy.

Angwin has claimed in an interview with The Bulletin magazine that he, team-mate Karl Norman and three high-profile Carlton players took drugs the night before they turned up to training in April last year suffering the effects of their partying.

Angwin had his contract cancelled while Norman is still at the club.

Angwin told the magazine that he was first offered drugs by another Carlton player just two months after joining the club.

"There were two guys there, both players who could get you whatever you wanted," he said.

He also says that drug use is common in the AFL and that he could name a number of players who "used drugs, usually ecstasy, every two weeks or so".

"And it wasn't just Carlton where this was happening, it was just commonplace, especially amongst the younger blokes because it only cost you $25-$40, you didn't put on weight and you didn't feel sick at training," he said.

Angwin says he and Norman were not the only ones that did drugs on the night before they turned up to training under the influence.

"We were with three other Carlton players, higher profile players than us, who were also doing it but they weren't tested and we didn't dob them in," he said.

"No one at Carlton asked us if other players were involved because, I guess, they didn't want to hear the answer."

Carlton says it fully investigated the matter at the time but found there was no evidence to suggest that any other player was taking drugs.

"You have to understand Angwin was denying he had even taken drugs until the results proved otherwise," Carlton chief executive officer Michael Malouf told The Bulletin.

Angwin has also claimed Carlton has not provided the drug counselling or assistance it promised after his sacking.

But the club says Angwin has not taken up its offer of help.

"My understanding is that, for whatever reasons, Laurence did not take up the opportunity," Mr Malouf said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-05-18/former-carlton-player-claims-drug-use-rife-in-afl/1572922

Yes this story is 12 years old but the reason I remember it is that I was living in Tasmania at the time it came out (Burnie in da house y'all ) and the outright denial from the afl media and attacks on Angwin were ferocious

The AFL footy show were particularly savage

Twelve years down the road and it seems Angwin for all his faults was bang on

El Diablo

Post Whore
Former Carlton player claims drug use rife in AFL
Updated 18 May 2005, 7:04am

PHOTO: Laurence Angwin ... says drug use common in the AFL. (Getty Images)
MAP: Carlton 3053
The Carlton Football Club says it is disappointed over fresh drug claims by former player Laurence Angwin, who was sacked last year for taking ecstasy.

Angwin has claimed in an interview with The Bulletin magazine that he, team-mate Karl Norman and three high-profile Carlton players took drugs the night before they turned up to training in April last year suffering the effects of their partying.

Angwin had his contract cancelled while Norman is still at the club.

Angwin told the magazine that he was first offered drugs by another Carlton player just two months after joining the club.

"There were two guys there, both players who could get you whatever you wanted," he said.

He also says that drug use is common in the AFL and that he could name a number of players who "used drugs, usually ecstasy, every two weeks or so".

"And it wasn't just Carlton where this was happening, it was just commonplace, especially amongst the younger blokes because it only cost you $25-$40, you didn't put on weight and you didn't feel sick at training," he said.

Angwin says he and Norman were not the only ones that did drugs on the night before they turned up to training under the influence.

"We were with three other Carlton players, higher profile players than us, who were also doing it but they weren't tested and we didn't dob them in," he said.

"No one at Carlton asked us if other players were involved because, I guess, they didn't want to hear the answer."

Carlton says it fully investigated the matter at the time but found there was no evidence to suggest that any other player was taking drugs.

"You have to understand Angwin was denying he had even taken drugs until the results proved otherwise," Carlton chief executive officer Michael Malouf told The Bulletin.

Angwin has also claimed Carlton has not provided the drug counselling or assistance it promised after his sacking.

But the club says Angwin has not taken up its offer of help.

"My understanding is that, for whatever reasons, Laurence did not take up the opportunity," Mr Malouf said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2005-05-18/former-carlton-player-claims-drug-use-rife-in-afl/1572922

Yes this story is 12 years old but the reason I remember it is that I was living in Tasmania at the time it came out (Burnie in da house y'all ) and the outright denial from the afl media and attacks on Angwin were ferocious

The AFL footy show were particularly savage

Twelve years down the road and it seems Angwin for all his faults was bang on

it starts at junior level in AFL

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...s/news-story/45f3f515c824c9e2e260f86a25d7f605

Coaches supplying ice to players in grassroots footy crisis
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
March 23, 2015 7:12am

UPDATE: SUBURBAN and bush footballers are using ice as a performance-enhancing substance, with some getting the drug from their coaches, senior police have revealed.

Footballers are putting their lives in danger by using the drug just minutes before they run on to the field in some cases — often feeling “like Superman”.

Abusers are as young as 14 and in some teams, there are as many as nine players on ice, football administrators and police have told the Herald Sun.

Players with heightened levels of aggression are also putting rivals at risk, ending up in tribunals for serious acts like striking, they say.

The Andrews Government is being warned to do more, with police saying sporting clubs — once a refuge in the war against drugs — are now part of the problem.

A government inquiry into the use of methamphetamines, released last September, acknowledges the use of ice in sport.

But former head of the Purana Taskforce, Jim O’Brien, says the $45 million committed by the Government to tackle the ice problem is a “drop in the ocean”.

6af58c03d73f1ca42404d0d635ca06d2

Police have revealed footy players as young as 14 are using ice minutes before running on to the field.
Leading community figures say it might be time to start random drug-testing in suburban and country football.

Former Hawthorn and Richmond footballer Billy Nicholls was today sentenced to 11 years’ jail for shooting two men after his life spiralled out of control while using ice.

Geelong police Senior-Sergeant Tony Francis, spearheading the town’s Ice Fight program, has revealed the depth of the problem.

“We know coaches have given players ice and we know players are using ice as a performance-enhancer.

“We know through police channels that it is being used as a performance-enhancing drug and we know kids in the teenage bracket are using it.

“We know coaches who are giving it to people to enhance their performance. It makes people feel like Superman. They are ready to run through brick walls but there are huge side effects with the paranoia and psychosis it can cause.

“It also affects your heart so there are real medical issues associated with it.”

Lindenow Football Club official and anti-ice advocate Chris Daffey said players were taking ice only minutes before playing.

“We have heard of blokes who smoke ice before a game, smoking it in the car or behind the club rooms and then run straight out,’’ he said.

“I have no doubt there have been cases before the tribunal where players have been on ice and then struck other players.

“I have no doubt at all that has happened.”

Mr Daffey told SEN today that it was an issue for all clubs.

“This is not an issue that is confined to one club or one league, it’s statewide,” he said.

“It is an issue for our club from a point of view of looking after our players and player welfare

“This is something that is going to continue happening in the future and there is no point sugar coating it.”

He said drug abuse was more of a problem in the higher-ranking teams.

“In our league I wouldn’t suggest that players are doing it for a performance enhancing expectation,” he said.

“We are at the lower end of leagues in terms of ranking but definitely at the top end of some of your higher-performing leagues I think it would be an issue.

“Obviously when there is more money involved and you are paying players some of them will do whatever it takes, we’ve seen that happen before.

“I’ve heard of coaches and clubs supplying players but I wouldn’t say that is happening in our league.”

Warragul Senior Constable Kevin McLaren said football clubs must consider drug-testing.

“We are seeing average footballers addicted to ice all of a sudden being best-and-fairest. You tell me what’s going on,” the police youth resources worker said.

external

origin:video_integrator.JpYWtsbTr117TJjoMLs5SUdXWWw0DWeX

The ice plague

The Victorian Government’s Inquiry Into the Supply and Use of Methamphetamines quotes Odyssey House’s Stefan Gruenert, who discusses how kids in sporting clubs are using ice to enhance performances.

“The use of methamphetamine by athletes and sportspeople to enhance physical prowess is a classic example of situational drug use,’’ it states.

The Victorian Government this month committed $45 million to the fight against ice, but former Purana boss O’Brien said that amount was nowhere near enough to combat the problem. He said: “$45 million is a drop in the ocean compared to what it is costing us.

“It is a billion dollars a year alone for all the drug-related crimes and health issues in Victoria,” Mr O’Brien said.

“Their response is a trickle-down which people will have to fight for with funding submissions to get a share of the money.”

jon.ralph@news.com.au

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Vonnie is a star.

Maybe the AFL should ask her privately who they were so they can keep an eye on what's going on. Instead they will do what they did to Dale Lewis, which I mentioned earlier in this thread, and dismiss and slander her by making out she is lying. Why would she? She has nothing to gain, she is very good at her job and doesn't need to pointscore.

Last edited: