What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have we forgetten this bloke?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Shane Watson?

This young Tasmanian is a good allrounder and I thought he played pretty good in the one-dayers against England and Sri Lanka. His bowling improved and his batting was up to standard. Its a shame he got injured before the WC though, that robbed his chances. After that some people seem to be forgetting this bloke, he is a good allrounder and has a good future in one-day cricket.

The Colonel

Immortal
I think he is much more suited to the longer form of the game and should be pressed into the test side with the injuries to Gillespie, McGrath and McGill thus allowing Gilchrist to bat in a position that bests suits him - no 6.

His bowling is good however would benefit being able to develop a rythm that he doesn't get in the one day game.

Anonymous

Juniors
I don't think he played County Cricket.

He will not be forgotten. As soon as the one dayers start Shane Watson will be back.

Anonymous

Juniors
In saying that though, there is going to be some stiff competition in the ING cup matches.

Ian Harvey proved in the World Cup that he should not be forgotten.

Who could forget Andy Symonds after he proved himself at the highest level?

Shane Watson is going to have to earn his spot. Can't wait.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
WE're talking allrounders here,

I wont consider Symonds and Harvey as the genuine allrounders, Harvey is more of a bowler than a batsman, Symonds is more of a batsman than a bowler.

I suppose Bichel can do a bit of both on the day, he did that in the World Cup. You would think Watson has got a spot there somewhere. Michael Clarke is also considered an allrounder, but is more of a batsman.

Anonymous

Juniors
Point taken.

You can throw Simon Katich in there as well, he has really developed as a bowler over the last 12 months.

Doctor

Bench
I don't think anyone has 'forgottten' Watson - but he will have to prove himself again in state cricket - he isn't an automatic call-up.

Like anyone who is injured, he will need to display his ability to play well at state cricket, but equally so, he will need to show the selectors his injury is not hampering his cricket. You don't want players making comebacks in Test cricket or one day cricket - especially an inexperienced player like Watson.

His bowling is generally tidy, his batting can be quite handy - so he makes for a decent allrounder. But the strength of Australian cricket is such that they don't need him in Test matches yet. If they wanted a 5th bowler they could drop a batsmen because they already have an excellent batting line-up and a number 7 who would play at Number Three in most other international sides.

Andy Bichel is batting well, and Brett Lee is no slouch with the bat - unless Watson averages over 40 batting, and around 25 bowling, he will struggle to make the Test side - especially a full-strength one.

One Day cricket is different though - if he is fit, I doubt whether he would miss the one-day series early next year, especially after having several months of state cricket to get his game back to the right standard.