What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hawaii & the Ohana Cup - Golden Opportunity?

jim_57

Staff member
Have just been doing some research on the Ohana Cup played at Aloha Stadium run by Grand Pacific events in Hawaii. Is it just me or does it seem like we should be making a bigger deal of this and supporting it a little better?

Admittedly I never really paid too much attention to it, but the list of sponsors & the stadiun being used are really impressive, TV & Radio partners, Western Union head sponsorship, Hawaii tourism on board. If this was being played in mainland USA RL fans would be jumping out of their skins!

So why do I get the impression RL isn't really getting behind it? The RLIF and Asia-Pacific federation should be all over this golden opportunity. Not sure what the state of RL is in Hawaii anymore as from memory that was an AMNRL venture, but surely some work could be done to get something happening domestically on the back of this being played annually, if not by the USARL then pushed by the Asia-Pacific federation themselves.

It may not be mainland US, but it is USA nonetheless & if we could get a foothold there it could be a great find for Rugby League. It would be interesting to see if Hawaii is part of the "Pacific Strategy". Don't want to run before I walk but if a domestic league could get up & running the opportunity is then there to go to these sponsors with the proposal of a NSW/QLD Cup team ala PNG & Fiji.

It would be typical RL not to make the most of this situation that has fallen in our lap, only to wonder what we were thinking in 10 years when it's probably then a thriving Rugby Union event.

jim_57

Staff member
Maybe even incorporate this event in to an extended Pacific Double header series doubling as an annual Pacific Cup. The USA has every right to compete in such a tournament IMO.

Pool A - PNG, Fiji, USA (PNG V Fiji winner claims Melanesia Cup)
Pool B - Tonga, Samoa, Cook Is. (Pool Winner claims Polynesia Cup).

Hawaii & Sydney both get to host a weekend annually with the 3rd being taken to one of the Pacific Islands or maybe Auckland

W1 - USA V Fiji/PNG, Tonga/Samoa V Cook Is. - Honolulu
W2 - PNG/Fiji V USA, Tonga/Samoa V Cook Is. - Pacific Island or Auckland.
W3 - PNG V Fiji, Samoa V Tonga - Sydney.

Final can be bid for every year?

Evil Homer

Staff member
This event has been happening for years, it has always kind of flown under the radar due to the whole AMNRL thing and the seemingly haphazard nature of Hawaii RL as well as confusion over who the participating teams actually are. I don't know how they manage to rent out Aloha which is a 50,000 seater stadium, nor have I heard or seen any footage of previous events, but if there is interest there then it definitely should be capitalized on. As you've said, Hawaii should be part of the NRL's Pacific strategy if such thing exists. AFAIK the Hawaiians train both RU and RL and are pretty open to anyone getting involved and providing them with some type of structure/opposition, which is where the AMNRL affiliation initially came from.

adamkungl

Immortal
I'm just hoping for streaming at this stage. Still no confirmation, just a "fingers crossed".
Sounds like a cool event.

jim_57

Staff member
This event has been happening for years, it has always kind of flown under the radar due to the whole AMNRL thing and the seemingly haphazard nature of Hawaii RL as well as confusion over who the participating teams actually are. I don't know how they manage to rent out Aloha which is a 50,000 seater stadium, nor have I heard or seen any footage of previous events, but if there is interest there then it definitely should be capitalized on. As you've said, Hawaii should be part of the NRL's Pacific strategy if such thing exists. AFAIK the Hawaiians train both RU and RL and are pretty open to anyone getting involved and providing them with some type of structure/opposition, which is where the AMNRL affiliation initially came from.

Definitely under the radar, until today I've never really paid too much attention to it but did a little research and it looks a really impressive event that RL and it's fans seem to be taking no notice of. Not sure what crowds they have gotten in the past or what we can expect this year. I know this is an event run for profit by GP events but geez the RLIF & APRLF should be actively supporting this event while it's there and working behind the scenes to capitalize on any generated interest. It's almost like it's fallen in their laps and nobody knows what to do with it.

Next step may be working with GP Events to get actual test teams involved and maybe get a Pacific Double Header in there with other support events like there is currently. If the RL community actively acknowledged & promoted it could become a massive annual event.

Heritage XIII

Juniors
I hear they usually get 8-10,000 for the last couple of Ohana Cups. It has got excellent TV coverage & promotion on local Hawaii TV so hopefully recoerds are broken this year. Apparently Steve Hart from Foxsports is over there going by his twitter acount, so we should hear a bit of news about it. Can't find any streaming of past matches only the promo for this year

Local Hawii TV

http://www.kitv.com/clip/12663028/weekend-rugby-comes-to-the-aloha-stadium

http://www.kitv.com/Clip/12645323/2016-ohana-cup-rugby-league-rules-explained

http://www.kitv.com/clip/12630412/ohana-cup-coming-to-hawaii

http://www.kitv.com/clip/12668425/ohana-cup-two-day-event-to-benefit-reach

That second photo is clearly a Pacific Test photo at Penrith.

Nonetheless, the Ohana Cup does attract reasonable crowds and, in fact, would possibly be the biggest crowds for RL in the USA ever. But for whatever reason it is overlooked because it's in Hawaii.

roughyed8

Juniors
That second photo is clearly a Pacific Test photo at Penrith.

Nonetheless, the Ohana Cup does attract reasonable crowds and, in fact, would possibly be the biggest crowds for RL in the USA ever. But for whatever reason it is overlooked because it's in Hawaii.
Whoops my mistake:oops:, tag on it said Ohana cup.

Bronxnation

Juniors
If anyone missed it:
For the first time in it's six year history, the 2016 Ohana Cup will be streamed live internationally thanks to Sportsta.

The tournament, played at Honolulu's Aloha Stadium features a triple header of Rugby League with teams from six countries taking part. The event will take place on Saturday, August 20.

Live stream includes both the Canada v Fiji & Tonga v Samoa clashes.

The event will be broadcast live on Saturday, August 20th beginning at 6:00 p.m. HST:
www.sportsta.tv/channels/2016-ohana-cup/

Tournament Schedule:
4:00pm: NSW Police Rugby League v Hawaiian Rugby League Chiefs
6:00pm: Canada Wolverines Rugby League v Fiji National Rugby League Limited Residents
8:00pm: Tonga National Rugby League Residents v Rugby League Samoa (RLS) Residents

http://www.asiapacificrl.com/2016/08/20/live-streaming-ohana-cup-2016/

https://www.facebook.com/IntlRL/?fref=ts - Source

jim_57

Staff member
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/news/2016/7/wests-tigers-hawaii-bound-for-2017/

Wests Tigers close to finalising a trial game at Aloha Stadium in the 2017 pre-season.

Hopefully some sort of partnership can come of this, an Annual game or 2 to try and establish their brand plus links with Hawaii RL for train & trial for promising players, coaching clinics for Juniors etc.

I really think more NRL & SL clubs should be doing likewise, picking a nation/area to partner with to grow their brand and in return bring professional opportunities to players all over the world.

adamkungl

Immortal
I really think more NRL & SL clubs should be doing likewise, picking a nation/area to partner with to grow their brand and in return bring professional opportunities to players all over the world.

I like this idea. But I suppose most clubs are flat out breaking even without spending money in Serbia or whatever

jim_57

Staff member
I like this idea. But I suppose most clubs are flat out breaking even without spending money in Serbia or whatever

True for some clubs, but a lot would easily be able to afford it, a pre-season training camp is nothing out of the ordinary, but playing a trial there and partnering with the local league Organization would be much more valuable and would take little kore effort/output from the clubs.

Places like South Africa, Japan, South America, Pacific Islands would be obvious ones for NRL teams, Russia, Italy, Spain etc for SL clubs and North American areas/states for both.

siv

First Grade
Trick is have a Hawaii team playing in a Pacific Cup or Pacific Shield

They have more in common with the Pacific nations

Latest posts