What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench
Smh is stating that a woman in America has filed a civil lawsuit that she was raped by him. The attorney general did not prosecute for lack of evidence at the time.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Jarryd Hayne is innocent until proven guilty.

There is literally no reason we should have this thread right now.

Worth remembering Hayne was cleared of this very allegation in a criminal court already 2 years ago. This is now a civil case.

Again, no good can come from this thread. It will be completely hearsay and the airing of grievances against Hayne because people just don't like him.

As of right now Jarryd Hayne is an innocent man, please keep this in mind.

merahputih

Juniors
According to the SMH it is a civil case.
Burden of proof is a lot lower in civil cases. Criminal case against Hayne was dropped for lack of evidence. The main purpose of civil cases ( eg OJ Simpson) is to extract damages from the respondent if succesful.

Gareth67

First Grade
I am not suggesting that the man is guilty of the charges , but I could never understand why he made such a quick decision about leaving the 49'er's .

More so after only a few weeks earlier , he had told the media about how well advanced his training was , for the next season .

Still , I think that there may be more to it , than what has been ' alleged ' by the other party , there's always 2 sides to every story . In other words , don't hang the poor begger just yet .

Last edited:

Drag Queen

Bench
According to the SMH it is a civil case.
Burden of proof is a lot lower in civil cases. Criminal case against Hayne was dropped for lack of evidence. The main purpose of civil cases ( eg OJ Simpson) is to extract damages from the respondent if succesful.
It states this is a civil case. Why? rape is rape right. I'm a girl and this seems contradictory that she wouldn't file criminal charges. I should add I'm not a fan of the Hayne Plane. Civil suits bring in the $$. I hope this isn't factual.

Last edited:

Brutalitops

Juniors
It states this is a civil case. Why? rape is rape right. I'm a girl and this seems contradictory that she wouldn't file criminal charges. I should add I'm not a fan of the Hayne Plane. Civil suits bring in the $$. I hope this this isn't factual.
Was reported as a criminal case in May 2016, police investigated the matter and did not lay charges as there was insufficient evidence to even proceed to the courts.

Now the woman in question is taking the matter to the civil courts (who have a lower burden of proof). Even if Hayne was found guilty here, he wouldn't face criminal charges I believe, most likely financial penalties

Drag Queen

Bench
Was reported as a criminal case in May 2016, police investigated the matter and did not lay charges as there was insufficient evidence to even proceed to the courts.

Now the woman in question is taking the matter to the civil courts (who have a lower burden of proof). Even if Hayne was found guilty here, he wouldn't face criminal charges I believe, most likely financial penalties
Thanks for clarifying.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Meraputih,

Main purpose of a civil case may be money however - in a criminal case Jarryd does not have to testify.

In a civil case, he must be deposed by the plaintiff's lawyers. His version will be placed on record and if he tells any untruth's he is liable to criminal charges.

He is in a very "hairy" predicament.

Worked here in the States for 25 years as an investigator - burden of proof is 51 per cent.

This will be settled.

ST Tangles 01

Juniors
Meraputih,

Main purpose of a civil case may be money however - in a criminal case Jarryd does not have to testify.

In a civil case, he must be deposed by the plaintiff's lawyers. His version will be placed on record and if he tells any untruth's he is liable to criminal charges.

He is in a very "hairy" predicament.

Worked here in the States for 25 years as an investigator - burden of proof is 51 per cent.

This will be settled.

Hi Banjo,

My understanding is that he does not have to return to the States for a civil case but the hearing can proceed without him.

Is this correct?

Cheers

Banjo2014

Juniors
If Jarryd doesn't appear at the civil trial, the plaintiff will likely win—but not always. The judge will verify that the plaintiff served the defendant with court papers, that neither party requested a postponement, and that there is some basis (evidence) supporting the plaintiff’s case before issuing a default judgment.

Default judgment is a binding judgment in favor of either party based on some failure to take action by the other party. Most often, it is a judgment in favor of a plaintiff when the defendant has not responded to a summons or has failed to appear before a court of law.

In the current climate:- Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, TJ Miller, Gene Simmons, Morgan Spurlock, Mario Bartoli, Dustin Hoffman, Bryan Singer, Geoffrey Rush, Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Russel Simmons, Sylvester Stallone, Tom Sizemore, Steven Seagal, Richard Dreyfuss, Jeremy Piven, Kevin Spacey, Trumpie, Bill O'Reilly (Fox), Casey Affleck, Woody Allen, Roman Polanski, Roger Ailes (Fox), Mike Tyson, Martin Lawrence - list goes on.

Jarryd's civil case has come up at a very inopportune time for him and he could get "hammered" if it goes to trial.

My advice - Settle young man, take the pill, sort it out on the Courthouse steps - very unlikely that he will get a sympathetic jury - Hillsong - Jerusalem trips - being a new daddy or NOT.

Investigating a case now, where a young woman invited the defendant to her room. Allegation was made. He was fired from his job of 14 years and is now facing civil action.

JDHD

Juniors
My stance on nrl players being accused of sex crimes and DV is that they should hold a press conference and say "I am innocent of the charges laid against me and intend to prove so I'm a court of law. However, in solidarity with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault, I am standing myself down from football until the court proceedings are complete".

Smh is stating that a woman in America has filed a civil lawsuit that she was raped by him. The attorney general did not prosecute for lack of evidence at the time.
This is now a civil case and as such will not affect him playing until there is a verdict or a settlement.
He is entitled to due process and justice without any innuendo or conclusion.
My issue with Hayne is the amount of media coverage he gets.
I for one am sick of it.
He is over the hill, over rated and over here!
The game could do with some alternative headlines other than a day in the life of Jarrod Hayne.
He was a dud at the Titans and he will be a dud at Parramatta.
His best playing days are well and truly behind him..
So let's talk about someone else for a change.

Drag Queen

Bench
Langlands is my all time favourite player so obviously I am taking some interest in this matter.

Not looking for an argument but you are incorrect.

Extract from the SMH
"The former St George fullback - one of only eight rugby league players to have attained the game's greatest title - stands accused of historical sexual abuse of a girl on the Gold Coast in the suburb of Molendinar."

I would suggest "a girl" is very much singular.

I too was incorrect in that there were 6 occasions in question and not 3 obviously that was updated from the earlierl news releases.
Couldn't possibly be true then. Don't lose sleep over it OT. Langlands is an impossible case given he has full blown dementia. Failed to front court. One of my girls is on the prosecution team. I can't say any more.

Drag Queen

Bench
If that is the case then don't conceal the" inside evidence" you have go immediately to the police and let justice be served as it appears by your comment you are indeed blocking natural justice.

The "I have a secret" methodology you are employing serves no good purpose for any party in this matter and it is exactly the same mentality people had about Lindy Chamberlain.
Put up or STFU and let the matter proceed via the proper legal channels.
BTW I never doubted Lindy Chamberlain's innocence.

If that is the case then don't conceal the" inside evidence" you have go immediately to the police and let justice be served as it appears by your comment you are indeed blocking natural justice.

The "I have a secret" methodology you are employing serves no good purpose for any party in this matter and it is exactly the same mentality people had about Lindy Chamberlain.
Put up or STFU and let the matter proceed via the proper legal channels.
Quite simply - there is a legal process that must be respected.
Any conjecture is premature.
I find it odd that the claim(s) are made 30-40 years after the alleged event.
Langlands is entitled to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise.
BTW he is also my all time favourite St. George footballer and I am sad to see this case tarnish his legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.