What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me understand my loss of love for the Raiders

Stewbum

Juniors
So if i got this right, you were a die-hard Raiders supporter from about 1987 to 1996, then gave up on them.

If you simply wish to break this down into a date range (and that would suggest my long and detailed post warrants no more consideration than that) then no, not quite - from the win over Newtown in Newtown's last season (late in season 1982 I think) until a sharp fading of support began around 1996 until perhaps the early to mid 2000's when I discovered I had lost all feeling but goodwill towards the club.

And gave up on them suggests I thought they were no good. I definitely supported the ARL in the war and favoured the Crushers and Wests accordingly as Canberra were in Superleague which I detested.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Well you said the passion for Raiders came when the club started having a connection with Brisbane clubs. I'm no expert but I'm guessing that was around the 86-87 time period when guys like Meninga, belcher and Jackson came to Raiders. Then you supported them until around 96-97 when suddenly you lost passion for them. You claim it was because of super league but you say you later cheered on the broncos. Anyone that hates super league hates the broncos, they were pretty much co-creators of the whole thing and they also killed your beloved BRL. To cheer them on (shane perry or not) shows you're a pretty fickle and unloyal. You supported raiders during the glory years (86-96) but the second they started having average years you lost passion for them (citing jerseys and super league, yet going on to cheer for the broncos of all clubs) and now that they are having their best season in 20 years (since 95) you're suddenly looking for an excuse to be passionate about them again.

P.s they went back to their lime green jumpers about a dozen years ago

Last edited:

Stewbum

Juniors
Appreciate the effort and thought that went into your ascerbic post. Will reply in detail later.

Medium Rare

Juniors
Without reading the original post im going to reply with - Your loss is about another ten thousand people's gain.

Stewbum

Juniors
Mate, your post is thought provoking and I won't waste time pointing out the misconceptions contained therein about my character. I would urge you to again consider the divided loyalty every Queenslander pre-88 had between two comps and two teams.

Never have I wavered in 35 years from Redcliffe. I travel 100 clicks per home game. Redcliffe went without a premiership from 1966 through 1993. It's been 10 years since our last but my support never changed.

You made me recall a time I again followed Canberra at least closely (and I know when the jerseys changed believe me) - when Moggy was down there! 100 first grade games for Reddy and I saw almost all of them.

As for the Broncos again it's a hard thing for me to reconcile with my younger self. You guys might never get it. Imagine Canberra was your team but they were not in the NRL. You watch your players spill blood for your team week in week out. Now a deal is struck and you're a feeder (well associated with anyway) an NRL club you've always disliked. But now your favourite players are in their jersey and two play in a premiership winning side. It changed me. Perry and Roberts were legends of the Qld Cup stamped with "Will never make it higher" on their backs. They did, I loved it, lost my hatred of the Broncs, and that was the end of being a Raider.

It surprises me how bitter you all are towards this post. Perhaps tiddly winks and agreeing with each other is your thing.

Oh and for the finals I support in order Brisbane, NQ, GC, Canberra, Storm.

Stewbum

Juniors
Without reading the original post im going to reply with - Your loss is about another ten thousand people's gain.

I will now leave you guys to tear the corpse of this thread as you see fit. Cheers to the two forumers for their consideration.B

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I don't know what you expected.

"Hey guys I use to love the raiders when they were the best. Then they got shit...I meant they changed the shade of green, so now I like the Broncos!"

DiegoNT

First Grade
Sounds like you are a self hating Bronco's supporter, because of super-league and the effect they had on the BRL in 88, but now that Raiders are coming good again you are trying to jump back on the bamdwagon like you did in their glory days of the late 80s, early 90s

CGD

Juniors
What a ridiculous troll.

Left one of the best to the end. "I am supporting 5 of the 8 teams this finals series".

Seek help.

soc123_au

Staff member
INGREDIENTS
chicken wings, cut in two and tip removed

• HOT SAUCE
  • 1⁄2cup ketchup (I have even used the hot ketchup for this!)
  • 2tablespoons hot sauce (use more or less, depending on amount of heat desired)
  • 3tablespoons minced dried onion
  • DIRECTIONS
    1. Set oven to broil.
    2. Prepare the wings on a shallow cookie sheet that is lined with foil, and spray with a non-stick cooking spray, or prepare a broiler pan.
    3. Arrange the wings evenly in a single layer.
    4. Place under the broiler until lightly browned (watch closely to not burn the wings) set wings aside.
    5. In a saucepan combine all sauce ingredients, and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes (adjust the hot pepper sauce to suit taste).
    6. Up to this point, all above can all be prepared a day in advance and refrigerated.
    7. Set oven to 375 degrees F.
    8. Using long tongs, dip each wing in the hot sauce, and place evenly on a greased baking sheet.
    9. Bake for 35-40 minutes (basting with remaining sauce during cooking).
    10. To crisp up the wings, place under broiler for a couple of minutes.

This Year?

Immortal
I don't know what you expected.

"Hey guys I use to love the raiders when they were the best. Then they got shit...I meant they changed the shade of green, so now I like the Broncos!"

I cringed. Anybody that would switch to the Broncos needs a CT scan of their head.

Chachi

Bench
What the f*** is this shit?

"Before the Broncos came in I liked the Raiders because they were full of Queenslanders and they were the best in the comp. Then the Broncos came good and I jumped ship..."

Hilarious trolling. Who gives a toss?

Latest posts