What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henry Peranara

OldPanther

Coach
Try given off a ball taken out of the hands by a player in front of the catcher
Penrith dummy half passes the ball into Tom T who did the right thing by rolling out of the play the ball -- penalty

Some bizarre calls and not just Perenara being trigger happy in the ruck.

Turbo barely moved and stuck his head up. If he actually rolls away and stays down it doesn't get called.

OldPanther

Coach
The KPI would have have to reviewed throughly and yes it should be assumed that refs that don't penalize enough should be scrutinized as well, asking the same questions as above.

Just out of curiosity I had a look at the stats on the weekend. On average there were 70 sets of 6 in each game. If the KPI is set at 14 that would mean 1 in every 5 sets incurs a penalty and would be deemed acceptable. At 16 that means 1 in every 4 sets would incur a penalty and be deemed acceptable.

Great. Now I'm going to be looking for this lol.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
I think he did ok. I watched the game again this morning and he set the tone early with a penalty against Panthers(Rein in the ruck) and Manly seemed intent on pushing the limit. Not to mention 2 back chat penalties, a late shoulder on Cleary and marty taupau's weird hug on the ground.

Thanks Tony Archer :)

Lambretta

First Grade
Turbo barely moved and stuck his head up. If he actually rolls away and stays down it doesn't get called.

Yes, he was a bit unlucky there was Turbo
Personally I would have called play on as I thought the dummy half threw it straight at him, but the fact his head was sticking up (whereas in the other game mentioned the player was lying flat) probably cost him

I don't have a problem with the two calls as there were big enough differences to call them differently

Zadar

Juniors
Yes, he was a bit unlucky there was Turbo
Personally I would have called play on as I thought the dummy half threw it straight at him, but the fact his head was sticking up (whereas in the other game mentioned the player was lying flat) probably cost him

I don't have a problem with the two calls as there were big enough differences to call them differently

If a defending player is lying in behind the ruck, the attacking team has in my opinion won the contest at the play the ball, and if the ball is purposely or accidentally thrown at him, it should be a penalty. Barring a genuine injury, the player should be making every attempt to get out of the way.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
If a defending player is lying in behind the ruck, the attacking team has in my opinion won the contest at the play the ball, and if the ball is purposely or accidentally thrown at him, it should be a penalty. Barring a genuine injury, the player should be making every attempt to get out of the way.

Agree actually.

Of course they milk it, but unless you keep that interpretation black and white, it will get even messier in the ruck.

Lambretta

First Grade

Agreed but getting out of the way depends on the situation. If you try and stand you present a bigger target than if you lie on the floor. Therefore you are trying to get out of the way you cause more of an impediment than if you remain motionless.

Players can't disappear, so they have to try not to interfere from where they are

Earlier in the year in Super League there were instances where players just threw balls straight at players who were lying motionless on the ground to win penalties. These were deliberate ploys to win penalties.

The RFL looked at this and said that penalties would not be awarded if the defender was not interfering and that looking for deliberate penalties was against the spirit of the game and was unsportsmanlike conduct. Since they made that ruling, no one has tried to do it. Problem solved.

The NRL has it right. Players who are not interfering and the ball is thrown at them...... play on

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Soooo

This incompetent is not refereeing this weekend.

Having annual leave of course....
They cycle plenty of refs out of the lists each weekend, especially this time of year when there's not 8 games a round. I doubt it's any sort of punishment.

Scaven

Juniors
It doesn't matter who you support. The penalties themselves were fair. It was the bunker that messed up, not the ref.
That would be fair enough if the count was 14-10 or something. He kept his whistle out of his mouth when Manly had the ball plain and simple.

OldPanther

Coach
That would be fair enough if the count was 14-10 or something. He kept his whistle out of his mouth when Manly had the ball plain and simple.

We got the first penalty of the game against us. I'd argue that Panthers just didn't push their luck as much as Manly. Manly did a similar thing to us, when things went against them they reacted poorly which meant more penalties.