What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herbert "Nutsy'' Bolt

One fight that even 'Nutsy' Bolt couldn't win
PETER FITZSIMONS
April 24, 2010

Herbert Bolt, the famed and fiery Newtown centre, was among about 250 soldiers recently identified from mass graves on the Western Front, writes Peter FitzSimons.

Herbert Bolt, known as "Nutsy'', was a hell of a footballer and a hard man to beat. Born and raised in the very heart of rugby league, Newtown, he played no fewer than 52 matches for the legendary Bluebags from 1912 to 1915 and represented NSW twice on their tour of Queensland in 1913.

A rugged utility back who usually played in the centres, he liked scoring tries and brawling, though not necessarily in that order. In the first of those Queensland matches, "[Dally] Messenger made a fine run and sent the ball to Bolt, who again crossed." In the second match, Nutsy was quite rightly sent off for brawling, with, "the action of the referee receiving general endorsement."

Nutsy never minded a fight, no matter the odds.

And so, notwithstanding the fact that he had a beloved young wife, Jennie, and baby daughter, Monica, when Newtown was eliminated from the 1915 City Cup, Nutsy went off to the Sydney Showground and was soon training with the 55th Battalion - one of the battalions destined to write its name in blood on the Western Front.

For the Newtown footballer was soon in the thick of it like few men have ever been in the thick of any battle, before or since.

On the warm evening of July 19, 1916, Nutsy and his comrades of the 55th Battalion were at the prow of the Australian 5th Division when - at the behest of a British general for whom it seemed like a good idea - they attacked the entrenched German positions atop the ridge of Fromelles, from across a boggy 400 yards of open ground.

A contemporary account describes the scene, "Stammering scores of German machine-guns spluttered violently, drowning the noise of the cannonade. The air was thick with bullets, swishing in a flat criss-crossed lattice of death … Hundreds were mown down in the flicker of an eyelid, like great rows of teeth knocked from a comb … Men were cut in two by streams of bullets [that] swept like whirling knives … It was the charge of the Light Brigade once more, but more terrible, more hopeless."

In the middle of it all, Nutsy kept fighting. As dawn broke after that terrible night - a night when the 5th Australian Division had lost over 5000 men killed or wounded - he was still alive and had even reached the first of the German trenches. His battalion mate, F Johnston left an account of what happened then …

"On the morning of 20.7.16 at about 5am at Fleurbaix, [Nutsy] and I were close to one another, when we were attacked by the Germans. He got more than six of them with his bayonet and the butt of his rifle, when he got a bullet through the head. He fell instantly, being killed outright. He was as game as any man, and was a well-known Newtown footballer."

All who knew him were devastated at the news of his death, and the Newtown club rallied to raise funds for his widow and child. Events included a fancy dress parade down King St, Newtown, and then on to Erskineville Oval, where a series of novelty events were held, including a race where those who were first across the finish line then had to dismember an effigy of the Kaiser, with the winner being the person with the biggest portion. With the money raised, the Bluebags were able to purchase a house for Jennie and wee Monica.

Meanwhile, there Nutsy lay for nigh on the next 90 years, in a mass grave at Fromelles, and would have so remained in anonymity for all eternity, were it not for one thing. Due to the persistence of the Victorian schoolteacher and amateur historian, Lambis Englezos - who couldn't reconcile the numbers of war graves apparent with those Australians confirmed to have been killed - the forgotten mass grave was finally discovered in 2008 and exhumed in 2009. And, after DNA testing, the remains of Nutsy were finally positively identified only weeks ago.

"I am absolutely ecstatic," says Robert Bolt, 60, of Clovelly, who, as Nutsy's oldest living male relative, provided the DNA sample which matched. "And my sons - one of whom is such dead-ringer for Nutsy, that's what we call him - are equally over the moon. The whole family is thrilled that he will now have his own marked grave, because that is what he, and all of them, deserve."

In a sacred ceremony on July 19, Herbert "Nutsy" Bolt will be reinterred in the new Australian War Grave Cemetery at Fromelles, with his own grave-stone, and the grand-daughter he never knew, baby Monica's daughter, Josephine Shelley, 60, of Taren Point, attending.

Lest we forget.

With thanks to noted rugby league historian Terry Williams, who is compiling a book on the involvement of rugby league players in WWI.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ven-nutsy-bolt-couldnt-win-20100423-tj56.html

bluebag43

Juniors
A great post and yet another reminder of some of the great men that have played for Newtown and another reason why the club has to be kept alive.

It is part of Australia's heritage and folklore.

I hope one day, my son who is turning out to be a very good footballer pulls on the royal blue. It will be the proudest day of my life!

I wish all Bluebag and rugby league supporters a good Anzac Day tomorrow!

boo_boo

Juniors
bluebag43, i agree with your sentiments entirely.
The game of Rugby League has changed over the years & now we have to put up with all this corporate pandering just to survive in the game that great clubs like Newtown, Souths, Easts, Norths, Wests & Balmain helped build yet are for various reasons lost to the NRL.
May the true spirit of the game be returned to those who love the game & the spirit of all the foundation clubs that made all the sacrifices to build the game never be pushed aside to compensate the greed that is required to remain competitive in the NRL.

silverfox

Juniors
A great post and yet another reminder of some of the great men that have played for Newtown and another reason why the club has to be kept alive.

It is part of Australia's heritage and folklore.

I hope one day, my son who is turning out to be a very good footballer pulls on the royal blue. It will be the proudest day of my life!

I wish all Bluebag and rugby league supporters a good Anzac Day tomorrow!

Your son can play in the royal blue now - oh thats right - but he cant play under the n logo - because politics has once again taken away something from 300 kids.

greg

Juniors
Any wonder hardly anybody posts here anymore...yet another topic turned political. Silly me I thought this particular thread was about Nutsy Bolt and Newtown history/tradition. There is another thread dealing with the N logo and the juniors.
I too hope your son becomes a bluebag one day BB43.

silverfox

Juniors
Any wonder hardly anybody posts here anymore...yet another topic turned political. Silly me I thought this particular thread was about Nutsy Bolt and Newtown history/tradition. There is another thread dealing with the N logo and the juniors.
I too hope your son becomes a bluebag one day BB43.

Yeh so do i - and i hope the juniors also know about nutsy and his courage. Thats the message we should be sending the kids - thats my point. Not hijacking the forums as you seem to think. But it is a reminder of how far this club as come and what it has been turned into. Its sad that my kid cant do the same.....

boo_boo

Juniors
We are all equally passionate in our own individual way but dont let inner politics eat at the soul of your great club.
The mighty Bluebags have earned their right to be respected as a big part of the game of Rugby League & it's history & traditions & nobody can deny them that.
Dividing opinions should be left at just that & all true supporters will never desert their club so i hope you blokes will see reason to agree to disagree at some point.

Latest posts