What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's how you can help the club...

Dragon Jim

Juniors
I signed up a few weeks ago, ticked the 5 year option and they told me I was not entitled to that option, and that I had to tick the 3 year Associate Member option.

Not happy now that I read through this thread and seeing that I was effectively duped.

I wonder if I can go back and hand back this one and get the 5 year one.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Membership actually increased from 28706 in 2012 to 29263 in 2013 according to the 2013 annual report
Acka, it used to be much, much higher.

The cap on membership is 50,000 - this is written in the Constitution. There was a time when you had to go on a waiting list to be a member.

Thank you for the slight 2013 adjustment, but sadly, any membership graph will show a drop over the years. There are ways to fix this decline and we need to voice that at later date. But right now we need to get it heading in the right direction.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I signed up a few weeks ago, ticked the 5 year option and they told me I was not entitled to that option, and that I had to tick the 3 year Associate Member option.

Not happy now that I read through this thread and seeing that I was effectively duped.

Well, you were given the wrong information there Jim. Must be a way to fix it. Perhaps tell them you were sold the wrong membership and want an upgrade. Please let me know how you go.

FTR, I moved from Sydney to the Gold Coast 15 years ago. I have renewed my membership using the online form at least two times over that period. Once I just printed it out and sent it via Australia Post. I have also scanned it and emailed it. Either way, I never speak to anyone.

Alternatively, you can just do it on the phone or just front up at the Taj.

St George Leagues Club. 124 Princes Highway, Kogarah, NSW.
Phone (02) 95871022.

Postal Address: Locked Bag 1500, Ramsgate, 2217.
Email: membership@stgeorge.org.au

Dragonbaal

Juniors
My mate went to Wenty Leagues the other night to watch us play Storm and he was impressed by not only the facilities ,but how warm the welcome was when he arrived.
Something our Leagues Club should start with ,better attitude to welcoming and services.Just applying a coat of paint,laying new carpet and throwing new chairs in means nothing if attitude and quality of food is still sh*t.

totally agree Jenninga-I used to be a leagues club member back in the days when they actually had some entertainment on there and a night club, and was a friendly place to go. I did not renew my membership when the only expansions done to the club was, of course, to the pokie areas, and now all it is are wall to wall poker machines-they cannot even get their act together enough to re open the auditorium or turn it into something else. The food is very average, and even when I was a member I hardly ever ate there, and the attitude of the staff leaves alot to be desired.

So Willow, I don't know if you have an contacts at the leagues club but I will only consider becoming a member again when they provide some type of entertainment instead of bloody pokies!!

They need to fix their attitude.

Stagger Lee

Bench

Sorry that you had problems too, I suspect many people have had this 'act' carried out on them. I had to forfeit my associate membership but it just made me more determined to persevere and get full membership so I can effect change and stop this sort of thing happening in the future.

It would be great for you to post the outcome of any dealings you have with them over this issue.

backdoor

Juniors
Unless things have changed, many of those who frequent the Taj are not members of the club but gain entry through reciprocal membership of other clubs.
I recall being stunned and disappointed (when handing out how to vote fliers as part of a campaign many years ago) by the number of people who claimed to not be members.

It could of course been that the alternative candidate at the time was not blessed with movie star looks or physique....

RedVee

First Grade
"Like" to this thread.
I've been a full mbr since Jan 1980. The old Taj ain't what she used to be.

saint.nick

Coach
It actually outrages me that a club tries to dupe people into buying cheaper packages, all in the purpose of sacrificing income for political security...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So Willow, I don't know if you have an contacts at the leagues club but I will only consider becoming a member again when they provide some type of entertainment instead of bloody pokies!!

They need to fix their attitude.
I agree with you on the entertainment vs pokies. I also agree that there needs to be an attitude change.

But the only way you can bring about change is through your membership. By being a FULL 5-year member, you will have the power to vote at meetings in the future.

We are on the same page Dragonbaal. As Club members, you and I have equal influence on those important future meetings. I urge you not to remove yourself from the process of decision making.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks Willow, I will sign up to that 5 year membership soon, every little bit counts.
Thanks to everyone as well. As you say Minh, it all counts.

Your voting rights will kick in in 3 years, that's why it's important to take the 5-year full membership (there was an unfortunate 3-year amendment to the Constitution in 2010). But in the bigger scheme of things, 3 years is a short time.

Not having a shot at any individuals on the Club Board. We simply need to get the membership up so the fans can help the club in $ terms... and vote at meetings to get the Taj and this great Club moving forward again.

Benny

First Grade
I've been a 5 year member since I was 18 and will continue to do so until I die.

Also a member of Steelers Club.

Haven't been to either venue in years though have played my fair share of Table Tennis at the Taj over the years.

Benny

First Grade
Also remember days where being a Season Ticket holder (late 90's) got you membership to St.George DRLFC and Leagues Club.

Acka

Coach
Not sure about Wenty,but if someone wanted to rent an area to use as a food area and knew their business ,why not.Clubs ,like any business these days need to think outside the square.David Jones do the same renting floor space to brands.

But the only revenue the club will see is the rent. My brother has worked in the club/pub industry his whole life and he says they struggle to break even on food and beverage sales on a good day hence why a lot of clubs are leasing out space

Acka

Coach
"Like" to this thread.
I've been a full mbr since Jan 1980. The old Taj ain't what she used to be.

You can say that about a lot of licenced venues especially in the St George area. I've lived in the St George area my whole life and every licenced venue had some form of live entertainment now I can't think of any that do.

jenninga

First Grade
I agree with you on the entertainment vs pokies. I also agree that there needs to be an attitude change.

But the only way you can bring about change is through your membership. By being a FULL 5-year member, you will have the power to vote at meetings in the future.

We are on the same page Dragonbaal. As Club members, you and I have equal influence on those important future meetings. I urge you not to remove yourself from the process of decision making.

I have to apologise for the negative rant against the club as we all know they need to improve the facilities etc.
Agree with what this thread is about.

Acka

Coach
I have to apologise for the negative rant against the club as we all know they need to improve the facilities etc.
Agree with what this thread is about.

I can understand where you are coming from. It would be great if they brought back the auditorium but I'd prefer it if they got the football club grant back to previous levels. Last year the leagues club made a profit of $2.35 million but the grant to the football club was only $987K whereas in previous years it had been around the $4.5 million mark

possm

Coach
Does the grant from the NRL go to the Leagues Club for use by the Football Club or is it given directly to the Football Club?

The NRL grant has increased substantially over the past few years which should result on less call for funds from the Leagues Club.

Does revenue from gate takings, merchandise, sponsorship and marketing drives go directly to the Football Club or to the Leagues Club?

I remember the days when the pupose of having a Leagues Club was to financially support the Football Club and also to provide community and entertainment for the members.

I think our Leagues Club should re-engage with the St George District by:

Produciing a plan to further upgrade the Leagues Club.

Offering Life membership with special perks (to be dertermined by the Board) at a cororate price.

Committing to up grade the Club to accomadate first class live entertainment for Friday and Saturday Nights and regular live entertainment on every other night.

Running special auctions for items such as game balls, corner posts, player clothing etc after each home game.

Run a 'win a Jeep' raffle to be drawn at the Club after each home game.

And any other fundraising suggestions that help get the Club back on its feet.

I remember the days when the purpose of having a Leagues Club was to financially support the Football Club and also to provide community and entertainment for the members.

I think our Leagues Club should re-engage with the St George District by:

Produciing a plan to further upgrade the Leagues Club.

Offering Life membership with special perks (to be dertermined by the Board) at a cororate price.

Committing to up-grade the Club to accomadate first class live entertainment for Friday and Saturday Nights and regular live entertainment on every other night.

Running special auctions for items such as game balls, corner posts, player clothing etc after each home game.

Run a 'win a Jeep' raffle to be drawn at the Club after each home game.

And any other fundraising suggestions that help get the Club back on its feet.

If need be, the Club could become a united football club incorporating soccer, union and Australian Rules entities in the local district to bolster number and fund the upgrade of the Club.

Last edited:

Latest posts