What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's how you can help the club...

Acka

Coach
What I'd like to see 1st is a Christmas raffle (Most licenced clubs have them) that rewards members loyalty. For example you make the grand prize $50K and you have runners up prizes like signed memorabillia and prizes from participating sponsors and to be eligible to win you reward members by giving them a ticket in the raffle for every $100 they spend in the club over the year. Also another thing I'd like to see which IMO will make the place a family friendly venue to watch the games at is for every away game put on a BBQ in the little outdoor section adjacent to the Riviera room with the proceeds from the BBQ going to the St George foundation and then have a badge draw 10 minutes after fulltime with a $1000 cash prize. This in theory will encourage people to attend the leagues club which will lead to more revenue which will in the short term lead to grant to the football club increasing and in the long term money for better facilities

Godz Illa

Coach
I don't think raffles and BBQ's are going to open up lucrative revenue streams, nor will they bring the club out of the current 80's bowlo mindset.

I read a proposal/idea/fantasy to develop a 3 or 4 star hotel on the Sizzler site. That is a forward-thinking investment

Acka

Coach
I don't think raffles and BBQ's are going to open up lucrative revenue streams, nor will they bring the club out of the current 80's bowlo mindset.

I read a proposal/idea/fantasy to develop a 3 or 4 star hotel on the Sizzler site. That is a forward-thinking investment

Problem is where do you get the money from for that stuff?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Same place any developer does. These types of things usually involve investment from a number of interested parties, banks included.

TruSaint

Referee
The idea is excellent on a number of fronts.
A Fair priced 3-4 star hotel would be great for anyone attending a sporting event from outa town, or for that special night. It would by default, lift the Club into some action, or be smart and work with the club to maximize patronage for both. Package deal could be arranged ( i.e game day ticket, accommodation, buffet meal etc ). It would provide the area with a much needed boast profiting not just the hotel but surrounding businesses. The list goes on. A feasibility study conducted and provided to private enterprise, with input by developers, council, the club, community, etc would be a good start.

jenninga

First Grade
The idea is excellent on a number of fronts.
A Fair priced 3-4 star hotel would be great for anyone attending a sporting event from outa town, or for that special night. It would by default, lift the Club into some action, or be smart and work with the club to maximize patronage for both. Package deal could be arranged ( i.e game day ticket, accommodation, buffet meal etc ). It would provide the area with a much needed boast profiting not just the hotel but surrounding businesses. The list goes on. A feasibility study conducted and provided to private enterprise, with input by developers, council, the club, community, etc would be a good start.

Great idea in theory,but with 'right game wrong venue' the flavour of the month ,4 Kogarah games will send the joint bust.

TruSaint

Referee
Great idea in theory,but with 'right game wrong venue' the flavour of the month ,4 Kogarah games will send the joint bust.

Jen as much as I hate the idea of right game right desert... this will encompass all sports that use the venue, even post footy season. Local sports, clubs and associations can take advantage of a boutique stadium with a decent hotel, club and eateries wihin a 2 minute wealk.
Merchandise for interstate visitors will increase... not "everything" will directly benefit Saints, but the majority will.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Another reason why we need more games at Kogarah, but no hotel would rely on just that.

Actually, anywhere within coo-ee of the city is a good place for a hotel/resort. The corner is very well serviced by public transport and close to the airport. Prime real estate.

I've had the opportunity to sometimes seen how it works up here on the Gold Coast. One of the big hotel chains picks out a spot, they might buy it but they often lease it and then build away. There'll be a number of council conditions regarding providing public amenities to attract people into the area (at least that's the norm on the GC). The building becomes a multi-functional asset with all sorts of facilties. And a revenue share between owners and developers is often the go.

The land at Sizzlers is worth a fair coin, and my understanding is that something like this has been proposed before.

I can imagine such a hotel having a definite St George feel about it, and a selling point to that end.

TruSaint

Referee
Another reason why we need more games at Kogarah, but no hotel would rely on just that.

Actually, anywhere within coo-ee of the city is a good place for a hotel/resort. The corner is very well serviced by public transport and close to the airport. Prime real estate.

I've had the opportunity to sometimes seen how it works up here on the Gold Coast. One of the big hotel chains picks out a spot, they might buy it but they often lease it and then build away. There'll be a number of council conditions regarding providing public amenities to attract people into the area (at least that's the norm on the GC). The building becomes a multi-functional asset with all sorts of facilties. And a revenue share between owners and developers is often the go.

The land at Sizzlers is worth a fair coin, and my understanding is that something like this has been proposed before.

I can imagine such a hotel having a definite St George feel about it, and a selling point to that end.

The selling points above have merit.
Position... Leverage from the games... accommodation alternative... Easy access etc etc etc.
There are many hotels globally that have "food chains" incorporated.
Sizzler / Nandos / etc can exploit this site, reduce their overheads and still maintain a presence.

Benny

First Grade
A hotel gives ongoing revenue and could be marketed in a number of ways:

- Sports Games at Kogarah (Dragons plus A League, Big Bash etc)

- Visiting Sports Teams (Soceroos, Manchester United etc - fans not teams)

- Training Teams Utilising Kogarah (Train on ground, stay in hotel and eat at Club)

- Airport Hotel (Offer free shuttle and try to capture some of market for passengers in transit)

- City Hotel (close enough to city and transport)

TonyT6

Bench
Can anyone confirm how the leagues club is zoned?The Dark Prince once told a mate of mine they can't do any development on the place due to the zoning.

Maybe R2K can confirm?

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Can anyone confirm how the leagues club is zoned?The Dark Prince once told a mate of mine they can't do any development on the place due to the zoning.

Maybe R2K can confirm?

I've been told the issue may be the Sizzler site. I remember a Mr D. Robinson telling me it had to be strata titled so not even sure the club owns it. He then went and had lunch and a lie down as that was enough for him that day.
Willow, when I head down to Olde Sydney Town, if not staying with relos that are all located in the South, the only decent place to stay is the Novotel. If there was a new motel/ facility built at Kogarah, it would suit me perfectly purely from a geographical point of view and a base to go from....oh, plus I could drink schooners of New on tap and wander over to watch the Dragons.
As for you Tru....my days of throwing TV's out the windows into swimming pools are behind me but jeez, my kids can wake the dead if needed :D

RedVee

First Grade

There was a proposal some years ago to build a hotel through the middle of the club, up through the auditorium area - if I remember rightly.

What gets me is the Club was one of the first to broaden its income base by bringing Sizzler into the car park. But for the last couple of decades it has been removing options. Auditorium and discos gone, gym and squash courts gone, bowling club gone, Grange restaurant gone.

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
I'm no expert here but a ring. Not a ring of fire from the dodgy restaurant but a knock them
Down boxing ring. I know souths juniors have boxing and it attracts boxers from all over Sydney, the gong, Newcastle and beyond. But I'm talking a decent ring to house good big fights. If not an octogon. Rex-kwon-do isn't that what all the young fellas are into. UFC menaces. Just thinking, people like watching modern day gladiators. It's that sort if a world. Otherwise music and good music at that might be suffice.

j0nesy

Bench
Hotel in the club would do well, but not run by the club. We have a best western at Wollongong golf club and it's regularly booked out and helps pay for course redevelopment. Great spot to stay game day in the gong too, parking right next to the ground and steelers club...

Acka

Coach
There was a proposal some years ago to build a hotel through the middle of the club, up through the auditorium area - if I remember rightly.

What gets me is the Club was one of the first to broaden its income base by bringing Sizzler into the car park. But for the last couple of decades it has been removing options. Auditorium and discos gone, gym and squash courts gone, bowling club gone, Grange restaurant gone.

The Grange is actually back as and all you can eat buffet.

http://www.stgeorgeleagues.com.au/restaurants-and-bars/restaurants/grange-buffet-restaurant