What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Intensity Interval Training

Red Bear

Referee
Lol they get easier, trust me.

Tried burpee HIIT today, the only one HIIT session I did it smashed me so bad, I was screaming after each rep by the sixth set. My legs are so f**ked now.
Burpees are the most tiring exercise around, they dont look hard or seem hard the first couple but they kill you

Burpees are the most tiring exercise around, they dont look hard or seem hard the first couple but they kill you

Burpees are awesome. I do mine starting lying face down right on the ground, then do an explosive pushup to get to the standing position in one movement. Way harder this way, can put a lot more energy into faster than with the traditional way.

I measured my resting heartrate the other day, 44bpm. Pretty good for a big guy I thought. HIIT = fit. By the time league season comes around I'm going to be a f**king machine :evil:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Take it a little slower first up Cliffy, so you can get the timing right

Ive seen blokes try and bash out military burpees (like the ones described by EP above but with a jump at the top) at full tilt and totally muck up the timing. Knees to the face, faceplanting and rolled ankles usually ensue.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Yeah I tried to do them slower couldn't, just can't figure out how you're supposed to do it lol. Stuck to regular burpees. Really enjoying it though, I feel like crap for about ten minutes after, but I love how much it forces me to push myself.

Red Bear

Referee
I struggle with burpee/push ups due to terrible shoulders, going to do some swimming again to help the old upper body. Was in a reasonable routine until about march with swimming, then conjunctivitis ruined me.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Damn you Cliffy, those core rows are killers

I added a new exercise to my session tonight too. I filled a wheelbarrow up with 50kgs of weights and did 10x hill climbs up my street, pushing the barrow at full tilt. I was this close to spewing my guts up

:lol:

What an arsehole. :sarcasm:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Some serious interval trainers here.

How does sprinting a cricket pitch with two pushups at each end rate? I try to bash out about 10-15 at a time x 4 or 5.

My training isn't as well organised as some of you mob, just trying to do stuff that hurts.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Good stuff mate. As long as your rest periods arnt too long between intervals and your heart rate stays up then you're on the right track.

Thomas

First Grade
Good stuff mate. As long as your rest periods arnt too long between intervals and your heart rate stays up then you're on the right track.

That's pretty much it. There are no real rules to HIIT other than keeping your heart rate up and having minimal rests in between sets. Do whatever you want as long as you keep the intensity up.

BTW burpees suck hard. I've started doing them and feel like hurling after my last set.

Latest posts