What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History of the Premiership Trophy

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
There is one true NRL premiership trophy, and the winner keeps it for a year before handing it back (or defending it).

Then they get a replica. It has one plaque detailing their win, not the larger number on the actual trophy.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Really so its perpetual? Like an amateur sporting club? That beggars belief.

If so they should retain the names of the past winners on the thing, to give it some tradition.
They've been doing that all along I thought, the smaller plaques on the bottom of it have each season's winner. Be interesting to see if they removed the 2007 and 09 plaques or just declared "no winner"?

While I can see the merit of it being a perpetual thing, as in the real trophy lives in the reigning premiers' cabinet for 12 months, I still think there should be some sort of recognisable permanent trophy that the club can keep forever. Seems ridiculous that all you keep is premiership rings as players but nothing as a club...

Godz Illa

Coach
I've seen (and sexually assaulted) the NRL trophy up close when it was at Saints leagues during 2010/11. The 2007 and 2009 badges are still on there but they've been re-engraved. They say: "Withdrawn".

Same for the Giltinan (didn't rape it though)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The players get a ring (see there's allegedly an STGI player trying to pawn his off on eBay) to keep, not sure about medals.

Amozzie

Juniors
I'm pretty sure St. George were given a replica of the JJ Gilitan Shield after or during their run off 11 titles.

Yeah ring is way cooler cos you can wear that shit until you die.

It would be pretty cool if they made replicas of all the trophys from the past and clubs could fill their trophy cabinets with them.

..except for a few.

innsaneink

Referee
I've seen (and sexually assaulted) the NRL trophy up close when it was at Saints leagues during 2010/11. The 2007 and 2009 badges are still on there but they've been re-engraved. They say: "Withdrawn".

Same for the Giltinan (didn't rape it though)

Slops?
Fitzy got in first

fitzy.jpg

The base has a removable plate, not quite sure why....from memory its a weight function thing so it stand properly

Apey

Staff member
Knights office had 1997 and 2001 ones in the office building near the stadium last time I was there. The 1997 one may have been the actual one though?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Perhaps because other high profile sports strike a new replica every year which the winning team gets to keep in pepertuity. Both the NFL and AFL do this.

Leigh.

Yep, same with the Melbourne Cup..

But must admit, as much aa I hate the afl, this is one thing they get right... You go into collingwood's HQ and there ate all the cups they have won... Pretty impressive..

But.. on the flipside, having just one 'holy grail' makes it all the more satisfying when your captain holds it aloft..

Latest posts