What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History of the Premiership Trophy

It'd be pretty cool if the NRL allowed a team to keep the trophy after reaching a milestone like the champions league do with winning it 5 times or 3 in a row. Easy to do by making it from the NRL's inception.

docbrown

Coach
It'd be pretty cool if the NRL allowed a team to keep the trophy after reaching a milestone like the champions league do with winning it 5 times or 3 in a row. Easy to do by making it from the NRL's inception.

That's what happened with the Royal Agricultural Shield. I kind of like the idea of there being just the one cup though with replicas made for club trophy rooms.

On another point, does our trophy have an actual name? Like is it the Provan-Summons cup or something like that?

I mean originally it was the Winfield Cup but we're not going to call it that for obvious reasons. I've only really heard it referred to as the NRL trophy.

I'd like to make a suggestion that it be referred to as the THE GLADIATORS TROPHY based on the name of the original photograph.

siv

First Grade
It used to be - you win the Trophy 3 times and teh club go to keep it

RASG Trophy - was won 3 times by Easts and they got to keep it and gave it to Dally M
Balmian then won the next won
Souths - won the Truth & Sportsmans Cup - twice

Then the depression years and WWII and no trophy was awarded

Then in 1951 the JJ Giltinan Shield was awarded, but no-one kept it. It was always handed one

During the Windfeld Cup years 2 trophies were awarded on GF day

There have been a few variations on the Provan-Summons trophy since it started

And of course one SL trophy and one Optus Cup

DIOGENES

Juniors
The Labor Daily Cup preceded the Giltinan Shield from 1934 to 1950. Souths were the last winners. The Hugh D Macintosh Shield was the one between 1914-17 won by Balmain. Two Truth and Sportsmans Cups were won by Souths inbetween

Where are all these cups? I know THe RAS Shield is in the National Museum Canberra

DIOGENES

Juniors
The Labour Daily went broke in 1938 so for twelve years the competition advertised something that was no longer in existance - no one seemed to care in those days.

axl rose

Bench
It used to be - you win the Trophy 3 times and teh club go to keep it

RASG Trophy - was won 3 times by Easts and they got to keep it and gave it to Dally M
Balmian then won the next won
Souths - won the Truth & Sportsmans Cup - twice

Then the depression years and WWII and no trophy was awarded

Then in 1951 the JJ Giltinan Shield was awarded, but no-one kept it. It was always handed one

JJ Giltinan Shield is now wasted, give it back to the premiers was it was intended.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The poms refused to release the original Ashes urn, so you only see a replica when Australia wins it.

And there are replicas of the JJ Giltinan Shield, ie at least one in St George Leagues Club.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The base has a removable plate, not quite sure why....from memory its a weight function thing so it stand properly
I always assumed it has a nut and bolt connecting the base to the trophy. lol. Probably not.

When it was first awarded, the players lifted it up and there was no base plate. The hollow base wasn't a good look.

I'm guessing that they eventually worked out it was good advertising space.

_41114006_wests_gi.jpg

winners.jpg

Ben+Hornby+NRL+Grand+Final+Dragons+v+Roosters+VSdjXYI7rmrl.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts