What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hodges suing the game?

Anonymous

Juniors
Justin Hodges is looking at going to court over the condition of the Lang Park surface. He seems to think its the cause of his injury.
Players suing the game over injuries is like a shadow on the game and I was wondering when it was going to be tested.

Slugs

Willow said:
Justin Hodges is looking at going to court over the condition of the Lang Park surface. He seems to think its the cause of his injury.
Players suing the game over injuries is like a shadow on the game and I was wondering when it was going to be tested.

Justin Hodges is just a big sook

Let him sue.....if he wins no League Side would ever sign him up again

Imagine every player that gets injured blaming the ground......what a lot of hogwash :roll: :roll:

Anonymous

Juniors
The whole compensation and litigation thing in sport has been a worry for some time.

So far, it's been pretty much agreed that in a contact sport like League, players know what they're getting themselves in for.

It's also pretty much agreed that if a player ever successfully sues the game for getting injured then we all might as well shut up shop.

Hodges is already receiving compensation because he is a professional footballer. The notion that he wants to take it further shows that he has tickets on himself.

Slugs

Willow said:
The whole compensation and litigation thing in sport has been a worry for some time.

So far, it's been pretty much agreed that in a contact sport like League, players know what they're getting themselves in for.

It's also pretty much agreed that if a player ever successfully sues the game for getting injured then we all might as well shut up shop.

Hodges is already receiving compensation because he is a professional footballer. The notion that he wants to take it further shows that he has tickets on himself.

Couldn't agree more.

It is a pre-requisite to be a sook when you play for The Rorters...He has had some good grounding there :roll: :roll:

El Diablo

Post Whore
I dunno. The ground was pretty dodgy looking and both he and Bowman have a right to be peeved.

It's no diff than having an unsafe work place. Why shouldn't the players be allowed the same rights as others?

legend

Coach
Personally, I hope he doesn't sue but if the QRL knew full well the ground was not up to playing standard and let's face it, it wasn't, then Hodges most certainly has a case.

The bigget problem is it sets a precedent that will filter down to park footy that could potentially kill off the game and not just RL. Every sport in Australia would be affected with insurance companies using his case as an excuse tojack up the prices again.

Green Eye

Juniors
El Duque said:
It's no diff than having an unsafe work place. Why shouldn't the players be allowed the same rights as others?

You can't be serious. They play footy for a living. It's part of their job to get smashed and be smashed (physically not in the drinking sense although there is lots of that too :lol: )

Their work place is not safe because that is the kind of work they do.

Next they'll be saying tackling is banned because its dangerous. Yeah lets all be a bunch of pansies in our f**king skirts and sue. The ground may have been shite but they still played on it knowing full well.

I seriously doubt the sand had anything to do with his injury anyway... Lang park has been a sand pit for years... look at old footage when Renouf runs down the side to score for the broncos.. there's bloody sand flying everywhere.

Rugby League + sueing = end of game.

Look at all the obstetricians now that don't want to assist it births because they can get sued 21 years after the birth of a child.... what a joke.

Its gone too far and its all John Howards fault. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Backpacker

Juniors
I was under the impression that his manager had been approached by lawyers offering legal representation should he wish to pursue the matter further and he is considering it at this point. If this is correct, he hasn't gone out and decided to sue, rather thinking about something that has been laid on a plate to him. Once he's had time to think about it, hopefully, he will realise that setting a precedence like this, would not be beneficial for the game overall.

Yes slugs, big sookie rooster. Blah blah blah. :roll: :roll: :roll: Your like a scratched CD. I'm sure if one of the Sth Sydney players had actually managed to make a SOO team and had been injured for the season, you may look at it a little differently.

What it boils down to, is the paddock was a disgrace and, if the threat of legal action means that they seriously look at playing Origin 3 elsewhere if the problem isn't sorted by then, then it's not a bad thing. I certainly don't want another Rooster in the same boat after origin 3 because of a dodgy ground. Having said that, I don't want to see a player from another team in that position either. But then, I'm not so blindingly one eyed and inhumane that I find pleasure in seeing players from other teams suffer injuries that could end a career.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Green Eye said:
El Duque said:

You can't be serious. They play footy for a living. It's part of their job to get smashed and be smashed (physically not in the drinking sense although there is lots of that too :lol: )

Their work place is not safe because that is the kind of work they do.

It's got nothing to do with the work. Horses race yet when the track is a bog they call off the meet. Same goes with RL.

I seriously doubt the sand had anything to do with his injury anyway... Lang park has been a sand pit for years... look at old footage when Renouf runs down the side to score for the broncos.. there's bloody sand flying everywhere.

I don't think it's a case of a bit of sand. Certain areas seemed unstable underfoot apparently. Look how easily Tallis took a divot out when he kicked.

Rugby League + sueing = end of game.

Why? Did it end when Gary Jack sued Ian Roberts?

Slugs

Roosters Managment have just come out and said they will not support Justin Hodges if he decides to go ahead.

Sanity has prevailed after all

Well done Roosters Management :idea: :idea: :idea:

Green Eye

Juniors
El Duque said:
It's got nothing to do with the work. Horses race yet when the track is a bog they call off the meet. Same goes with RL.

Have you ever seen a RL game in the rain? :roll:

El Duque said:
I don't think it's a case of a bit of sand. Certain areas seemed unstable underfoot apparently. Look how easily Tallis took a divot out when he kicked.

See my point above. If the ground is wet isn't that far more dangerous?

El Duque said:
Why? Did it end when Gary Jack sued Ian Roberts?

We are talking about insurance companies... completely different from your example.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Have you never heard of a game being called off because of rain?

There was one only a few years ago. Can't recall the two teams.

Anonymous

Juniors
Ian Roberts being sued was one incident between two players. Players suing over the condition of the field opens up a hornets nest of litigation.

El, I don't recall a game being canned because of the rain but it may have happened. In any case it's so rare that you can't remember.

But we have seen games played in mud pits and what about the game played in the snow and ice in Canberra a few years back? Lang Park wasn't as bad as that.

Whether Hodges is going to sue or not is irrelevant. Its the suggestion that causes concern... the idea is floating around now.

Hodges and others are already protected 'as workers' because they're professional Rugby League players.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Willow said:
El, I don't recall a game being canned because of the rain but it may have happened. In any case it's so rare that you can't remember.

It was the 1997 round 10 game between Newcastle and Souths. It was played in July instead of May because of the rain.

Anonymous

Juniors
Must have been a swamp... no thats Toyota Park...
You know what I mean, it must have a quagmire
because we've all seen games played in the mud...
and what about the Canberra match in the snow?
And what about in the UK? They play on ice every year.
Lang Park wasnt as bad as any of these other 'work places.'

~bedsy~

First Grade
He said yesterday arvo that he would not sue. That's a good thing too, players get season ending injuries all the time. Yes the feild is a sand pit and should be improved, but it didn't cause the injuries.
Look at Clint Newton last night, his out for the season and Marathon is a great ground. It happens all the time and you can't predicit when or why it happens.

sretsoor

Juniors
El Duque said:
Willow said:

It was the 1997 round 10 game between Newcastle and Souths. It was played in July instead of May because of the rain.

Thats correct but from memory it was more the car park and access to the ground being flooded and as Newcastle rely so heavily on gate takings, the game was postponed so the crowd could watch the game. They could have played but no one would have been there.

Anonymous

Juniors
sretsoor said:
El Duque said:
Willow said:

Thats correct but from memory it was more the car park and access to the ground being flooded and as Newcastle rely so heavily on gate takings, the game was postponed so the crowd could watch the game. They could have played but no one would have been there.

Thanks for that sretsoor and welcome to TFR.

Hows them apples, El?