What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home circuit

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm 45 in 3 mths time and have just started back getting fit. I don't want to use a gym as usually it's a good excuse not to go. Goal is to get as fit as possible in this time. I will keep it going afterwards but have dropped drinking and a few others things to realise my goal. (Drop 14kgs)

So Just want some feedback on what else I could add. I made a home circuit. I have some straps from a dodgy grant kenny door gym I bought. Though it's great for squats and the like to add some real depth. Have one set of free weights. So most things need to be body weight.

3x20 squats (using door gym)
3x15 push ups
3x20 lunges
4x20 step ups (using chair pushed up against wall)
3x20 pull ups (using door gym)
4x15 shoulder press (using free weight)
3x15 curls
3x20 sit ups
3x15 dips
3x45 sec planks

I can just add reps which I will for some of these as I get fitter. But variety is always better especially if I'm missing something else I need to work on.

I do a lot of mountain bike riding so cardio is not something I need so much. And as for stretching. I use the yoga studio app which I recommend highly and use it 3-4 sessions a week.

Diet is very good since I'm off the beer. Doing some of the man shakes as well.

My current program looks like this. Sat/sun18km mountain bike ride (all single track). Takes me a little over an hour. Do my circuit. Then 1 hr yoga.
Mon. 10km 30min bike ride. 1 hr yoga.
Tues. circuit. 30 min yoga
Wed 10km 30min bike ride. 1 hr yoga
Thurs circuit. 30min yoga.
Friday. Rest. Though I may do the bike ride.

I also on weekdays try to do heaps of push ups in the morning til I can't do anymore.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
Well since posting this. Diet has been very good. Lost 13kg so far. I'm working pretty hard.

I did buy a basic home gym for $50 off gumtree a few weeks ago.

Generally doign 3-4 sessions on the gym, and 2-3 bike sessions. I like yoga and do 2 sessions a week which really helps for flexibility and general wellness.

Goal have changed somewhat. Even losing 13kgs I realise I need to lose more though I realise at the same time it takes a while for the fat to move around (usually delays by 1mth to spread itself out evenly). But really I'm trying to make this a sustainable program. One that matches my life. Just started getting up earlier to see if I can pop the yoga/weights into the morning session before work which opens up the afternoons to enjoy life more.

Iafeta

Referee
Well done. Probably once or twice a fortnight when I use don't have time to get to the gym I will do a garage circuit. Mostly I will do it as one of my cardio dats and use HIIT methods with running and boxing, but it's easy to do an abs session too with body weight.

It looks a good program. Three things to consider. Make sure you do get rest. When you do weights or even build your quads etc through biking, you are effectively ripping your muscle. Once it receives the right macronutrients it then repairs and grows, so that would help convert the fat you are losing to muscle. To repair, the ripped muscle needs a break. Your body transformation happens most when you are away from exercise. Two, alternate your weights - eg don't do curls everyday. By doing curls you are activating bicep ripping. Doing it the next day is possibly too quick. Three, when you hit a plateau, one keep going often your body out of fear will start holding fat as a defensive mechanism but stay patient and you will get through it, and two, change things up. The body can become used to things and become somewhat immune. Eg on the curls go to bigger weights and shorter sets, or move from bicep curls to hammer curls.

Keep going, great work