What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home ground record thus far

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Right Game Right Venue (Hahahahahahahahaha)

SFTG
The RGRV 'strategy' is gone and it's not a coincidence that we are winning home games again.

The debate and rhetoric of previous years is still in memory:
"It's the future of the game"
"The crowds will come"
"The crowds don't come so it's the fault of the fans"
"We don't need Kogarah or Wollongong to win"
...and the greatest myth of all, "we need the money".

I know there are a lot of factors that come into play when a team starts winning, but we should never dismiss home ground atmosphere. Every advantage counts.

JDHD

Juniors
The RGRV 'strategy' is gone and it's not a coincidence that we are winning home games again.

"The crowds will come"

I know there are a lot of factors that come into play when a team starts winning, but we should never dismiss home ground atmosphere. Every advantage counts.

If you think we won’t go back to ANZ the instant the upgrade is finished, I have bad news for you.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If you think we won’t go back to ANZ the instant the upgrade is finished, I have bad news for you.
Well I didn't suggest that, and I wouldn't put it past the douchebags to make the same mistake again. I respect your thoughts on the matter but I hope you're wrong with your prediction, and we're not destined to be sold this sick pup again.

What a fallacy the RGRV 'strategy' was from the outset.

Let's not forget the club signed a four year deal to sell our home games to neutral venues. The reasoning behind it still eludes me. It was no surprise that there was zero consultation with the fans.

What did surprise me was that other stakeholders were also left out of the loop. The announcement from club admin in November 2013 immediately pissed off Bruce Gordon who promptly removed his sponsorship from Kogarah - money lost there. Then as as a sweetener the club gave Wollongong the 2014 Charity Shield, registering the smallest CS crowd since 1997 and damaging the concept - money lost there. Then they pump up the crowd numbers at Homebush through free tickets, thereby making our Red V membership a joke - money lost there.

I could go on... but I'm losing money just talking about it.

Btw, I call it "Homebush". or that "souless cavernous shithole". ANZ is a bank. Hmmm... come to think of it, the description might fit just as well.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
That’s because we’re winning though

There has been a big increase because we are winning and competitive in most matches.
Also playing at kogarah and win is huge as supporters love those grounds.
But just walking around the Traditional saints area .
I live at Blakehurst you can see a lot more dragon supporters wearing the colours walking around.
That's great.
I can tell you that Mary is always telling the boy's to make our home grounds a fortress.
So far so good.
Mary is not a great technician (but is improving) but he a great motivator.
Imo
But the main reason is home ground advantage

dragonssamy61

First Grade

"The crowds will come"

Agree well put mate

mickeylane

Bench
Agree well put mate
There has been a big increase because we are winning and competitive in most matches.
Also playing at kogarah and win is huge as supporters love those grounds.
But just walking around the Traditional saints area .
I live at Blakehurst you can see a lot more dragon supporters wearing the colours walking around.
That's great.
I can tell you that Mary is always telling the boy's to make our home grounds a fortress.
So far so good.
Mary is not a great technician (but is improving) but he a great motivator.
Imo
But the main reason is home ground advantage
Agreed! McGregor has really got into the minds of all the players and got them focused on their roles - not many coaches except the Bennett’s and Bellamy’s of the world have mastered this skill - plus it helps to be a former champion player - the message resonates more when the message comes from someone that can relate to what the player is thinking or going through - I think any other coach fails this year the Dragons !

TruSaint

Referee

You raise a good point and to be frank, I also think we may revert back to ANZ... sadly

What our Club will do from a financial viewpoint, is interesting. Winning at our true homes games has tangible value though.

If 2 points can be converted to $$$, it has a massive say. Is it enough to get a guaranteed "x" amount by signing up to ANZ ? What is the opportunity cost ?

My point is having lets say 17k at Kogarah/Win and the same number at ANZ, what component are Saints members? How many neutrals / ANZ members make up a day out at that stadium ?

If the Club management looks closely at the spin off from having a real home ground advantage, winning, merchandise sales, memberships increases, and so forth, then maybe any perceived benefits from aligning ourselves with a soulless venue is nullified.

Time will tell, but its been many a years since we have had such success at our historic venues, and that is reflected on the position we hold on the ladder IMHO.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
So true, true.
I agree 100%
If I can remember correctly to make anything from home (that is money-wise on the day) .
We need 13,500 at the game.
The thing that anz had was the 100,00 you got for each game regardless of the crowd. This year the rent for kogarah is cheaper than last year.
But this year we have a increase in yearly tickets expecially the 12 home games.
We are doing well in merch ect as well.
Not sure how that compares.
But when we make the semis that will increase 3 x.

Latest posts