What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honda civic Type r 2017

Generalzod

Immortal

I would like your honest opinion on this car,I have had a WRX and it was a fantastic car, There are already 250 orders for the type r, or should I go back to the WRX.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade

I would like your honest opinion on this car,I have had a WRX and it was a fantastic car, There are already 250 orders for the type r, or should I go back to the WRX.
Depends what you want in a motor car.

Seems like you're a single male in his early/late 20s with a need for speed who doesn't have a need to cart around a family or tow a boat or caravan.

Your post indicates that the WRX no longer exists or shit itself, hence the bolded/italics..

If you have a million to play with, go for a Lambo Hurracan or Porsche 918 Spyder.

*Coming from a person who owns a Madza 121 Metro*

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

wait for the next iteration of the renault megane rs... should be out here in the next 6 months or so..

justdave

Juniors
Ikea.

French car manufacturers - Peugeot (Poo Joe), Renault and Citroen (Shit Rone). Come to think of it, anything French.

And the grand daddy of all shit brands, Harley-Davidson AKA Hardly-Driveable.. Ridden by middle aged children who want to be wannabees but failed.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Stick with Japanese unless you like crying and feel like providing for a mechanic and his family.
Had a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero once.

A mechanical nightmare which fed two mechanics enough for 1300 Big Macs.

Lasted two months before the Column Integration Module shit itself for the third time.

justdave

Juniors
My second ever car, back in the 80s was Saab. Took me three weeks to find where to put the key to start it. Not sure why I should've realised straight away it was next to the gear stick

Ended up a great smash up derby car at local show

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
My second ever car, back in the 80s was Saab. Took me three weeks to find where to put the key to start it. Not sure why I should've realised straight away it was next to the gear stick

Ended up a great smash up derby car at local show
Plain painful it was. Trying to jam a weird shaped rubberised key into the steering column was never going to work.

Lambretta

First Grade
Ford Focus RS - that would be my pick
But then I'm a sad Pommie git, so everything Ford does has me creaming me knickers

The reviews I've read say the Honda is a great car with a flexible engine and great everyday practicality
Personally from what I've read, the new WRX is a bit of a let down and it's not cheap either

If you're choosing between the two, I would go for the Honda

If you want something a little different, wait for the Renault (but servicing costs will be high)
If you want a hoon machine, go for the Ford RS
If you want a wolf in sheeps clothing, go for the VW Golf R

beave

Coach
I have a 2013 WRX, love it to bits, was the last run of the old shape. The new one, meh. They handle better than mine but the 2L donk I dont rate. Like Lamb said, the Ford Focus is very good as well. If you’re going to get a WRX in the new guise, get the STI if you can afford it.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
If you want something a little different, wait for the Renault (but servicing costs will be high)

au contraire..

renault offer fixed price servicing for the first 3 years..

i've got an RS myself, capped at $300 per 12 month/10,000k service.. reasonably cheap..

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I have a 2013 WRX, love it to bits, was the last run of the old shape. The new one, meh. They handle better than mine but the 2L donk I dont rate. Like Lamb said, the Ford Focus is very good as well. If you’re going to get a WRX in the new guise, get the STI if you can afford it.
Yes.

Lambretta

First Grade
au contraire..

renault offer fixed price servicing for the first 3 years..

i've got an RS myself, capped at $300 per 12 month/10,000k service.. reasonably cheap..

That's big of them - nothing they need to do for the first three years
And after the first three years?

I'm being a little unfair - the Renault is an amazing offering and if I was going to buy new, it would be on my shortlist -- 100% I really do love it

But Euro offerings (whilst amazing to drive) can hit you harder financially over the longer term

I'm not saying don't consider the car - but consider what you are paying for

Personally, I think the additional is worth paying for up to a point.
I'd happily buy a 2 year old Renault and sell it after 3 years
Let someone else do the depreciation - get three solid years from it - enjoy it and move it on before it crucifies you

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade

SMH didn't rate the STI as highly as the Focus amazingly

Type R review - SMH - 7.5 out of 10
http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...r-review-65438.html?trackLink=articleResults4

Subaru WRX review - 6 out of 10
http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/quick-spin--subaru-wrx-65425.html?trackLink=articleResults5

Subaru WRX STI review - 6 out of 10
http://www.drive.com.au/new-car-reviews/road-test--subaru-wrx-sti-spec-r-65340.html

Ford Focus RS review - 7.5 out of 10
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...0160123-gmcpzb.html?trackLink=articleResults3

Panfas

Juniors
I recently traded in my 2009 Golf GTI for a 2017 Honda Civic RS. Well, traded in because my mecatronics (read, gearbox) blew in the GTI...

It is slightly slower in acceleration (7.5s 0-100, up from the GTIs 6.9s), but the overall ride comfort is far superior. The only thing I don't like is it has a CVT gearbox. But I am slowly getting used to it. Mostly it is my years of driving manual or DSG gearboxes, just a vastly different experience.

The Civic Type R is a different beast altogether. It will have the same comfort as the RS but with improved engine and manual gearbox, 0-100km/h at 5.7s. I'd recommend at least having a test drive, and from my RS experience I don't think you will be disappointed

Latest posts