What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hopefully a new ref this week....

Ribs

Bench
I only got a chance to watch the replay last night of the Manly game and it was pretty evident why the game was so stifled. That joke of a ref was scared of giving penalties for play the ball infringements.

Both sides were laying all over the ruck and both teams were getting their defense set before the play the ball. I remember at the game thinking that Manly were up on us quickly but seeing the replay, its not hard to see why. There were no quick play the balls and no team was able to get a roll on, so all we got was the forwards bashing each other and pressure on passes two wide of the ruck. Makes for very ordinary football.

Who was that gimp anyway? I hadnt seen much of him before.

Sticks

Juniors
Steve Lyons, yeah it seemed like he didn't assist the game from a spectators perspective. In all fairness he seemed to be pretty poor for both sides.
I think we have Mander this week.

Sticks

Ribs

Bench
Yeah dont get me wrong, the play the ball area was terrible for both teams and both defenses were getting set and coming forward. Their forwards muscled up and well done to them, but our outside backs would have cut them to bits given a little space. It was a very poor game and I dont think that Lyons has the balls to referee first grade.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Anyone could have been the ref last Sunday. Saints were awful, it's no excuse...

Having said that, I don't really have faith in any of the whilste-blowers running around.

Cheers,
Ben S.

Ribs

Bench
I disagree. With the closeness of the competition this year, a referee who cant control the play the ball makes winning a lottery. Saints have been going wide all year to great success and they simply were not able to on Sunday. When they tried, Timmins passes were arriving with the defence and nothing was working.

We were terrible, sure, but the game had to be played one pass wide of the ruck due to the slowness of the play the ball.

Sticks

Juniors
The AFL is presently going thru a tough time with their umpires as well. I honestly think that both codes have sped up to the extent that the whistle blowers can't keep up with them. The AFL has since implimented 3 umpires but over the last 3 seasons that has not seemed to help as there has been some mighty blunders and frustrating inconsistancies. So would it be feasible to incorporate another ref onto the NRL paddock??. League doesn't move as fast as 'Rules so maybe a 10m and a play the ball ref could be a possibility. Then again a play the ball ref has the potential to get in the road of a play and thus open a can of worms.
Why not try this during the pre-season and play it from there??.

Sticks

Chook_Raper

Juniors
As long as the referee makes the same calls for both sides and remains consistent, there is no way you can whinge about him. The Dragons lost because they couldn't adapt.