What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hornby Re-signs for 3yrs

Simon

Juniors
From Dragons web site

Hornby Re-signs for Three Years
26 July 2004

Dragons and rookie Origin fullback Ben Hornby today agreed to terms with the club for three years until the end of the 2007 season.

Hornby is the last of the club’s senior players to make a commitment to the St George Illawarra Dragons for the next few seasons, joining captain Trent Barrett (2008), Jason Ryles (2007), Matt Cooper (2006), Mark Gasnier (2006), Lance Thompson (2006) and Shaun Timmins (2006).

Hornby, 24, the 2003 Dragons Player of the Year, said he had not been in any rush to re-sign prior to the June 30 deadline because he had no interest in going to another club.

The Corrimal Cougars junior has played 76 first grade games with the Dragons since his NRL debut in 2000.

“I’d like to play my whole career with the Dragons – I don’t like going too far from home,” said Hornby.

“The fact that Ryles, Gaz (Gasnier), Baz (Barrett) and Timmo (Timmins) are all staying for the next couple of years also helped with my decision.

“It’s good to be part of a winning side and the players we have on board for the next few seasons give us the best possible opportunity to win a premiership.

“The more games you win also gives everyone in the team more exposure and more opportunity to play representative football.”

Hornby said he enjoyed his first taste of Origin football this season in game, but would love to play a whole series.

“It hadn’t sunk in what I missed out on until I watched the boys doing the victory lap after Origin 3,” Hornby said.

Dragons CEO Peter Doust said he was pleased to finalise Hornby’s arrangements with the club.

“Ben is a significant contributor to our organisation both on and off the field,” Doust said.

“It’s great he will continue to play such an important part in our future.”

Anonymous

Juniors
He was always going to re-sign. Three years is a solid committment.

He's still quite young at 24 and I reckon we have yet to see the best of Ben Hornby.

drake

First Grade
Benny is definately a must keep. I'd love to see him play his whole career at saints. Excellent fullback and all round footballer.
Hopefully by the time he's a 8-10 year veteran there will be a decent concession for it.

Latest posts