What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did you become a Dragon's supporter?

This Year?

Immortal
Like many others, my Dad got me watching footy. But I wasn't really into it that much. Dad coached a local junior team as well as managed the A grade team where we lived. He loved footy and was a Tigers supporter for his entire life.

Anyway, through the years I played in Dad's junior teams on and off, but never really followed the league or had any interest in any one particular team. It wasn't until I was over at a friends house in 92 watching the grand final that I started following the Dragons exclusively. The primary reason was because they were playing the Broncos and all I knew was that Dad hated the Broncos with a passion. From that point on I was Dragons through and through - and to this day hate the Broncos more than other team in the comp.

You and your Dad are both wonderful human beings.

Life's Good

Coach
‘99 grand final against the storm hated the storm still do I was best man at a mates wedding and we we’re late to the alter because of the game gone for the saints ever since up till then I was a dogs supporter what can I say I fell for them that day
There is nothing more encouraging than a man admitting to a problem who finds a cure!

I had no previous connect with St. George with my parents being immigrants of Greek heritage,
I happened to watch the 1971 grand final between St. George and Souths as a youngster in which we were unbackable underdogs.
Down 11-0 and looking no hope, the way we clawed our way back into the game to 11-10 with our lightweight pack lifting against the star studded Souths pack, was just awe inspiring.
Apart from our stalwarts such as Langlands and Smith, it was players like Harry Eden and Col Rasmussen who tackled themselves to a standstill to the very end, that gained my respect and admiration.
History now writes that we got beaten by a late Bob McCarthy try but that was the game and the moment when I became a St. George supporter forever.
It is also exactly the reason I am so cranky about the current day culture and philosophy.
Just a bit of add on trivia.
My Dad`s name was George, my Mum`s name was Georgia, my Son`s name is George and I have 2 nephews called George and a niece called Georgia...
The 23rd of April (St. George`s Day) is a special day for our Family so is it any wonder I ended up a fanatical Saints supporter!

Crush

Coach
Just a bit of add on trivia.
My Dad`s name was George, my Mum`s name was Georgia, my Son`s name is George and I have 2 nephews called George and a niece called Georgia...
The 23rd of April (St. George`s Day) is a special day for our Family so is it any wonder I ended up a fanatical Saints supporter!
Love it mate! You never had a chance with parents names George and Georgia! St George fan by birth!

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All must say this has been very enjoyable reading. I'm in my early 60s now and took the usual family line of strong Saints supporters, born and bred in Sans Souci.

Schooled at Marist Bros Kogarah, yes I was trained by Kenny Boothroyd but teacher called Des Pollard was our coach. Played in great Kogarah school boy team which included legend Robert Stone.

Anyway, life moves on but the loyalty stays the same. Hope the Dragons can knock off a comp again!

SaintPauli

Juniors
Hi All must say this has been very enjoyable reading. I'm in my early 60s now and took the usual family line of strong Saints supporters, born and bred in Sans Souci.

Schooled at Marist Bros Kogarah, yes I was trained by Kenny Boothroyd but teacher called Des Pollard was our coach. Played in great Kogarah school boy team which included legend Robert Stone.

Anyway, life moves on but the loyalty stays the same. Hope the Dragons can knock off a comp again!
Great school great memories of kogarah Marist having a great affiliation with St George, particulary via the great innovative trainer Ken Boothroyd who was at the dragons in the 70's and 80's.

I remember Graham Wynn assisting at the school assembly sport achievement awards to students.

My intro to Dragons was my uncle buying me a red and white plastic stripped hat on the eve of the first 77 rugby league grand final against Parra.
I haven't looked back since although it has been one hell of a roller coast ride! D4L

Ps I have always lived in the St George area.

Last edited:

SaintPauli

Juniors
Seeing this on Tv as a 8ish year old and thinking hoooly f**k these guys are amazing

I was at that game. Appart from it being the Mundine and Blacklock show I got Sunstroke eating too many olives and not enough water. Great day though as we trounced a good Canberra pack with Laurie Daly at the helm.

jak

Bench
It hurts to admit this but I grew up in the Shire. In my formative years I would attend Sharks games along with all of my childhood friends, I wouldn't say I was a rusted on Sharks supporter by any stretch of the imagination. I would have described myself as a lover of the game at this stage.

After a few years of hanging with tragic whinging Sharks dribblers I realised this wasn't the way I saw my life playing out and made the decision to follow a team who represented everything the Sharks weren't. I wanted to be the opposite of a Sharks supporter as those clowns drove me mental. It was a natural move for me to cuddle up to the bosom of the mighty St George Dragons as they were known back then.
all I can say is you poor bastard,at least it is now out in the open and you can get on with the rest of your life.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Spent most of my late 70’s in and around Sans Souci. Played for the local soccer team during that time down at Chuter Ave ( l think ).

Des Pollard is my cousin.
We had a Pollard at the school for over 90 years! ( Father came from a family of 11 )

Great post rasaint.

Crush

Coach
Spent most of my late 70’s in and around Sans Souci. Played for the local soccer team during that time down at Chuter Ave ( l think ).

Des Pollard is my cousin.
We had a Pollard at the school for over 90 years! ( Father came from a family of 11 )

Great post rasaint.
You were playing soccer in Sans Souci in your late 70s? Wow OKB, you must be a fit fellow.

Coffs dragon

Bench
So wonderful reading everyone's stories & a trip down memory lane. If only our club could draw on the past to enable going forward united with pride and passion.
I'm sick of hearing shit like: Brand, Nuclear model, Pathways direction, KPI, our Middle third and "our D"
IMO Back to the future and back to basics to return the game back to the fans! Go the Mighty Dragons:v:

Crush

Coach
So wonderful reading everyone's stories & a trip down memory lane. If only our club could draw on the past to enable going forward united with pride and passion.
I'm sick of hearing shit like: Brand, Nuclear model, Pathways direction, KPI, our Middle third and "our D"
IMO Back to the future and back to basics to return the game back to the fans! Go the Mighty Dragons:v:
When we win the comp or go close to it in 2018 things will be normal again Coffs!

True_Believer

Juniors
You and your Dad are both wonderful human beings.

He also instilled in me a bit of a bizarre following. We were both born in QLD but we followed NSW in origin. Dad always felt NSW was where the league started and where true rugby league was played - given his age it was the only league played on the radio at the time and on TV when it eventually came out. It stuck with me and I've kept with that tradition. That was part of the hatred for Broncos - he felt they were ring-ins in the premier league at the time.

Unfortunately he passed away a couple of years after I started to really follow the league. Would love to be sitting with him in the lounge these days watching the games and moving side to side in unison as we count the tackles and physically follow the hit ups. It's astounding what is passed down through generations and what comes out as an adult that you picked up as a kid.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Born and bred.
Grew up in St George area and my Dad played wing for the Dragons U23's way back in the late 50's. My Mum worked at Penfolds and of course as a kid anything Dragons related was the go.
I played a fair bit in the juniors, proudly wearing my red v jumper wherever i went, however as fate goes my spieting career took a turn as i discovered i was more proficient with a bat and ball.
Spend a lot of time o/s these days but hasnt diminished my desirecto get to as many games as possible and proudly wear my Red V abd suppirt my boys.

Latest posts