What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do we feel about Robbie Farah returning?

macnaz

Staff member
Hear hear.
Further to this, our style of play was always going to be difficult to maintain for the entire season with our roster.
Now we're looking at two byes in three weeks with two new, key spine players entering into the fray. We're in a very good position to launch into the final leg of the season with gusto.
Isnt it 4 byes ..? 2 buys in Robbie and Moses + 1 nrl bye + an Embye

BalmainBoy_1969

Juniors
I wasn't always happy with the way he went about things, but still happy to see him finish his career as a Wests Tiger.
Might just be the missing piece in the puzzle IC's been looking for.

At this stage of the season we may as well try something.

super_coach

First Grade
If nothing else it keeps the interest going for a few more weeks. Sadly our season is done and dusted, but it is now about respect and having a real no9 for the first time in a long while will help.

Okay people will jump out and say we are still a real chance of the 8, I say the eight we have now will not change. Both teams 7 and 8 have a decent run home and are four points in front of us and the teams in front of them would need to crash and burn for us to catch them.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If nothing else it keeps the interest going for a few more weeks. Sadly our season is done and dusted, but it is now about respect and having a real no9 for the first time in a long while will help.

Okay people will jump out and say we are still a real chance of the 8, I say the eight we have now will not change. Both teams 7 and 8 have a decent run home and are four points in front of us and the teams in front of them would need to crash and burn for us to catch them.

agree

28 didnt get you into the 8 last year and i dont think it will this year either. will need to be 30, meaning we have to win 7 of last 9 games (we have a bye in hand). even if 28 does get you there i cant see us winning 6 of the last 9 either.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I believe that there is only 1 bye this year ( 2 points as opposed to 4) so 28 points will be enough...

Still means they need to win 13 games though..

BalmainBoy_1969

Juniors
How Benji sparked Farah's Wests Tigers Homecoming

Author

Alicia Newton

You couldn't script it if you tried.

Robbie Farah officially stepped foot on the Wests Tigers bus on Thursday, 18 months after it motored on without him.
The man to pick him up and take him out to Campbelltown for his first training session?

Benji Marshall, the man who was in a similar boat after his departure from the joint-venture club five years ago.
Farah has revealed how a text message from Marshall floating the idea of a return to coach Ivan Cleary's new-look team sparked a reality he otherwise thought was close to impossible.

"Benji texted me and floated the idea and said would you come back, and I said in a heartbeat," Farah said.
"He said he would speak to Ivan and let me know, Benji got back to me and said Ivan was keen."

Farah's exit at the Tigers in 2016 was on a sour note, but both parties have since reconciled.

The final clearance for the 34-year-old hooker's return came with the board signing off on the deal in a meeting on Tuesday.
"I've got a strong emotional attachment to the club and that never changed," Farah said.
"You always have that fondness for the Tigers and that love. It feels surreal, I never thought it would happen or I'd be back here so soon.

"I'm glad it's been made possible by Ivan and everyone involved in the club that they've welcomed me back."
The time without Marshall and Farah together at the club dates back 1718 days.
"It's crazy, I've got goosebumps just thinking about it. Our careers went down separate paths but to get back and play together and have the opportunity to finish together – it's poetic I guess.
"We grew up together, started our careers here and it would be nice to get the opportunity to finish here."

But with Farah's return comes one final mission.

In a more worrying statistic, the gap between the club's last finals appearance is even worse than the pair's last game played together.

Farah and Marshall will be the last players at the club to have featured for the Tigers in finals football seven seasons ago.
But watching from afar, Farah has liked what Cleary has brought to the table.

"It's been a transformation of the Tigers this year," Farah said. "In the past, we've always been known for the attacking flair whereas this year it's changed with a lot of grit with the way we've defended.

"The defence has been outstanding. I speak to a lot of boys regularly and the one thing is the Tigers will never get beat on effort. "For the teams to have to beat the Tigers they have to turn up to play. That's something we have to continue."

The Tigers received another boost with the addition of Moses Mbye on Monday, completing their mandatory 30-man squad.
Farah said he and Mbye had two bye periods to get combinations going with the side before planning a charge towards the top eight. "But we're not going to be the saviours and come here to change the way things have been going,"

Farah said.
"If I can provide a threat out of nine and Moses at one it can take pressure off the halves. For us, it's about integrating into that system and adding a few touches here and there helping the guys in the halves."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/21...parked-robbie-farahs-wests-tigers-homecoming/

Tigerm

First Grade
How Benji sparked Farah's Wests Tigers Homecoming

Author

Alicia Newton

You couldn't script it if you tried.

Robbie Farah officially stepped foot on the Wests Tigers bus on Thursday, 18 months after it motored on without him.
The man to pick him up and take him out to Campbelltown for his first training session?

Benji Marshall, the man who was in a similar boat after his departure from the joint-venture club five years ago.
Farah has revealed how a text message from Marshall floating the idea of a return to coach Ivan Cleary's new-look team sparked a reality he otherwise thought was close to impossible.

"Benji texted me and floated the idea and said would you come back, and I said in a heartbeat," Farah said.
"He said he would speak to Ivan and let me know, Benji got back to me and said Ivan was keen."

Farah's exit at the Tigers in 2016 was on a sour note, but both parties have since reconciled.

The final clearance for the 34-year-old hooker's return came with the board signing off on the deal in a meeting on Tuesday.
"I've got a strong emotional attachment to the club and that never changed," Farah said.
"You always have that fondness for the Tigers and that love. It feels surreal, I never thought it would happen or I'd be back here so soon.

"I'm glad it's been made possible by Ivan and everyone involved in the club that they've welcomed me back."
The time without Marshall and Farah together at the club dates back 1718 days.
"It's crazy, I've got goosebumps just thinking about it. Our careers went down separate paths but to get back and play together and have the opportunity to finish together – it's poetic I guess.
"We grew up together, started our careers here and it would be nice to get the opportunity to finish here."

But with Farah's return comes one final mission.

In a more worrying statistic, the gap between the club's last finals appearance is even worse than the pair's last game played together.

Farah and Marshall will be the last players at the club to have featured for the Tigers in finals football seven seasons ago.
But watching from afar, Farah has liked what Cleary has brought to the table.

"It's been a transformation of the Tigers this year," Farah said. "In the past, we've always been known for the attacking flair whereas this year it's changed with a lot of grit with the way we've defended.

"The defence has been outstanding. I speak to a lot of boys regularly and the one thing is the Tigers will never get beat on effort. "For the teams to have to beat the Tigers they have to turn up to play. That's something we have to continue."

The Tigers received another boost with the addition of Moses Mbye on Monday, completing their mandatory 30-man squad.
Farah said he and Mbye had two bye periods to get combinations going with the side before planning a charge towards the top eight. "But we're not going to be the saviours and come here to change the way things have been going,"

Farah said.
"If I can provide a threat out of nine and Moses at one it can take pressure off the halves. For us, it's about integrating into that system and adding a few touches here and there helping the guys in the halves."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/21...parked-robbie-farahs-wests-tigers-homecoming/
Cool.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Yep we have Buckley’s chance of leapfrogging Cronulla or the broncos.I will b happy if we r very competitive, display much improvement particularly in attack & beat saints & souffs just once each out of the 2 games we have to play them each.Additionally if a miracle occurs & we get on an astonishing winning run that allows me to watch us live in a final I will b beyond euphoric.

super_coach

First Grade
Yep we have Buckley’s chance of leapfrogging Cronulla or the broncos.I will b happy if we r very competitive, display much improvement particularly in attack & beat saints & souffs just once each out of the 2 games we have to play them each.Additionally if a miracle occurs & we get on an astonishing winning run that allows me to watch us live in a final I will b beyond euphoric.

Sharks have a bye and play basically all the bottom teams. Bronks have a harder draw but play most of there harder games at home and still have a few easy ones. As i said the other day if we cant beat the raiders at home we have no chance against Souths and the Dragons

Crazyperpman

Juniors
I have to say I was a little ambivalent about Robbie returning, but as the pics are starting to pop up on social media of him in his WT kit. Its more of a welcome home son vibe. Looking forward to seeing him rip in. He has always been a stubborn bastard and I think he has a point to prove.

Looking forward to the next game at Leichhardt. Robbie back, Mbye in the black and gold, may well turn out to be a great day and one of the more memorable games at the 8th wonder.

Trollhammaren

Juniors

Good read, but Lawrence still featured in our last finals appearance.

And the coach of the opposition who knocked us out of our last finals game... Mr Ivan Cleary.

The Telecrap has a piece today as well.

Benji's SOS to Robbie
It is a nice touch that Robbie Farah's return game with West Tigers will be a Sunday afternoon in the fading sun at Leichhardt Oval - and that the old firm of Farah and Benji Marshall will ride off into that sunset together.

What few know is that Marshall played an integral role in getting Farah back to Leichhardt.

Talks about a return to the Tigers began earlier this season but coach Ivan Cleary was content with his roster.

Stuck in reserve grade at South Sydney, Farah had approaches from other clubs but stayed for two reasons - he liked the coaching and direction of Anthony Seibold and he did not want to play for a third NRL club.

Then a month ago, Marshall texted Farah to say the club needed him.

Talks were reopened and Cleary was keen to see it through.

Cleary received a sharp lesson in the value of a quality rake last Sunday when Josh Hodgson made a very successful return for Canberra against his team.

Farah made his first appearance since rejoinging the club at the Tigers' sportsman's lunch yesterday. It was also his first opportunity to see some of the board members who helped decide his fate earlier this week.

Club chair Marina Go backed Farah's return.

"The board fully supports the decision of our head coach Ivan Cleary to sign Robbie for the rest of the season," Go said. "We welcome him back,"

The Tigers play Gold Coast next week and Farah will run out for his 248th game for the club.

I wonder when Marshall sent him a text a month ago, was it because he could see they needed a 9 or IC saw it and prompted Benji, I guess we'll never know.

Good read, but Lawrence still featured in our last finals appearance.

And the coach of the opposition who knocked us out of our last finals game... Mr Ivan Cleary
and it's interesting to look back on the team that day Trollhammaren,

1. Moltzen
2 Ryan
3 Aysford
4 Lawrence
5 Tuqiri
6 Marshall
7 Lui
8 Gibbs
9 Farah
10 Galloway
11 Fulton
12 Ellis
13 Heighington
14 Flanagan
15 Groat
16 Woods
17 Utai

Matt Groat ay, what ever happened to him?

The Warriors had a couple of guys we all know. Packer and Matulino

Das Hassler

Bench
I'm
and it's interesting to look back on the team that day Trollhammaren,

1. Moltzen
2 Ryan
3 Aysford
4 Lawrence
5 Tuqiri
6 Marshall
7 Lui
8 Gibbs
9 Farah
10 Galloway
11 Fulton
12 Ellis
13 Heighington
14 Flanagan
15 Groat
16 Woods
17 Utai

Matt Groat ay, what ever happened to him?

The Warriors had a couple of guys we all know. Packer and Matulino

Groat....disappeared down the rabbit hole via the Dragons if i recall

We started this season with no hope. We assembled a team that included a number of seasoned first graders with the idea of creating a winning culture of accountability. We started the season with flying colours. Players who busted their guts out got picked, and it looked like we may be headed for a top 4 finish.

Unfortunately our season completely dropped off. This wasn't from a lack of trying, and it certainly wasn't from poor culture or coaching. It simply was that certain players in certain positions were not up for week in week out regular FG. Yes it sucks, but thats the harsh truth we have all been turkey slapped in the face with.

The biggest deficiencies we have been facing have been our fullback, goal kicker and hooker...so what has Cleary done? Did he put out a media article whinging about the NRL and how his team had no SOO players? Did he talk about how we are building to something special and we need to just wait for our juniors to develop? Did he make any excuses whatsoever?

f**k. NO.

He f**king went out and signed a new fullback that can kick goals, then negotiated for said player to start ASAP. He then found an 80 minute hooker with a wealth of experience and negotiated for said player to also start A S f**kING P.

My personal feelings of whether I want a club legend to have his well deserved fairytale ending to Wests Tigers is completely irrelevant to this story. Our coach identified weakness and he fixed it.

Agree with this. Not particularly happy that it is a player that burnt the club to the ground on the way out, but Ivan's job is on the line and he is better than what we currently have. That is Ivan fixing deficiencies in our roster and despite my personal feelings for Farah I am hoping Ivan's mid season moves are vindicated.

Tiger05

First Grade
Absolute winner this bloke...if you want to cause unrest,division,release talent,sign duds,have no attack or defence,continually lose with no hope of a brighter future then this clown is your man.

I think he was unlucky and he handled himself well post getting the sack. He just bet big on the big 3 turning into gun players and carrying the club. He bet a fortune on those guys and had to get rid of Robbie due to salary cap pressure.

Robbie was massively overpaid. He was a great hooker when he had extra pace but at some point he simply became a good 1st grade player who was being paid as the next immortal. I can basically understand JT trying to oust Robbie.

He made a massive mistake though in creating a shithouse culture at the club with 3 merkins who thought the whole world revolved around them and the club had to bend over and be f**ked up the ass by them. I can though understand his decision in relation to those 3-4 players but it was a really poor decision. I think with someone like IC at the helm this situation would have been handled a lot better but it was always going to blow-up because those three merkins were real merkins.

I honestly think the experience that he got here would have helped him a lot. The problem is that he should never have been given that job and the latitude that he was allowed in that role. He wasn't a professional manager which is what you need today.