What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do we feel about Robbie Farah returning?

Tiger05

First Grade
Given we have released MM and Godinet is on the nose, I wouldnt be too sure about Robbie finishing up this year. No info, just get a feeling he might go around again.

I reckon we should sign him on a one year minimal dollar contract.

Tiger05

First Grade
Segyaro would be a good get...

Still a lot of other needs to fill though....

I think the spine is adequate now, but as I have said, they cant do it on their own... need forwards to make some metres and muscle up in defence on their try line and some backs with pace that can defend bombs... MWZ and CT are as weak as kittens and get pushed over the side lines when they are trying to put the ball down in the corner...
Need Nofo back as well..

CT is a worry. He was so poor yesterday. He was embarrassing. He doesn't score tries like gun wingers in the comp in that he isn't a big body.

Still he has been close to our best (if not our best) outside back this season so let's hope he doesn't play like that ever again.

We need some better forwards and better outside backs. I also think our spine is fine but they need better players around them.

I'd love to see us get a dominant middle forward or just a pack of dominant middle forwards. It should be a strength for us but Packer and Matulino simply aren't performing. I'm also more concerned about Packer than Matulino. I think Matulino may come good whereas Packer looks like an overweight slow lard ass.

Nofo and Fonua will give us some grunt when they come back but they both have flaws in their games.

We really need quality signings from here on out.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Segyaro would be a good get...

Still a lot of other needs to fill though....

I think the spine is adequate now, but as I have said, they cant do it on their own... need forwards to make some metres and muscle up in defence on their try line and some backs with pace that can defend bombs... MWZ and CT are as weak as kittens and get pushed over the side lines when they are trying to put the ball down in the corner...
Need Nofo back as well..

Agree

I don’t think we are that far off being a real good team, it’s just that our weaknesses are so weak that they get exposed easily.

The 1 seems fixed up now. Right edge backrower is needed although I think Luke Garner might get a go there against the dragons. Looking forward to see what he brings.

Then some big, strong/fast backs are needed. I’d seriously look at one or even both the Morris boys for a year.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Maybe they need to get some decent outside backs from NZ rugby or Fiji ... something a bit outside the square...

Not sure where they are getting their forwards from though.. need another prop and probably two more backrowers...Maybe Garner will be the solution to one of those needs but still need another....

Hate to say it but Taylor has dropped off alarmingly this season... I don't think he should be considered an automatic selection for the Top 17 next year

Tiger05

First Grade
Hate to say it but Taylor has dropped off alarmingly this season... I don't think he should be considered an automatic selection for the Top 17 next year

I thought he was pretty good on the weekend. He really needs through the rest of the forwards to do their jobs exceptionally well because in attack he really only offers ball playing ability.

Still with 4 quality props and 2 quality edge backrowers around him I think he can add to the team.

His game is suited to a high performing team which we aren't at the moment.

Shredder

Juniors
Hate to be a party pooper guys but their isnt much top quality on the market this year, which means we will need to compete with the better clubs by paying overs again.

I reckon we are short a back rower, a centre and a wing and should hold off on massive purchases.

Im with Vic, I dont think we are that far off. And I think the difference is in mentality rather than skill.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Hate to be a party pooper guys but their isnt much top quality on the market this year, which means we will need to compete with the better clubs by paying overs again.

I reckon we are short a back rower, a centre and a wing and should hold off on massive purchases.

Im with Vic, I dont think we are that far off. And I think the difference is in mentality rather than skill.

Sorry but the “ no talent on the market” excuse won’t cut it with the fans next year... Ivan is going to have to get “creative”..

Like I said l, find some backs in Rugby or the Pacific... gotta find new talent somewhere otherwise they will be running around in the bottom 4 again next year if they go in with what they have at the moment and Ivan probably won’t see 2020

Shredder

Juniors
BR, we have tried converting rugby players before. It hasnt ever ended well.

On Fergo - hes another that is a great player but costs you several games a year with feet for hands.

Time will tell.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Well mate he is going to have to try something because the outside backs they have at the moment are not going to cut it next year...

They need to replace both wingers from yesterday,, assuming Nofo can step up they still need another one.. ( and probably another one for depth...)

In the centres, Kev is leaving and will need to be replaced.. is Fonua the answer? I don't believe so.. should be depth only in my view....

simmo1

First Grade
I never thought I would say this, but we should sign Fergo for next year.

He'd be good for us, unfortunately he is a known glory hunter so can't see him going to a team that is unlikely to play finals.

Isaako at the Broncos looks the best of the off-contract list. Good finisher, game breaking ability and goal kicker. Be very hard to get him away from Brisbane, but if they go with Oates and Kahu on the wings he might look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Shredder

Juniors
Presumably Thomson takes one wing. Other than yesterday hes been good this year.

Funo would take one centre spot. Unluck injury for him.

Ivan doesnt seem to like Nofo.

I wold like to sign Earl, but the uproar from the forums around this arent even worth floating the idea.

Tiger05

First Grade
Maybe they need to get some decent outside backs from NZ rugby or Fiji ... something a bit outside the square...

I think we need to try something like this. A quality outside back would make a massive difference to our team. We need someone like JAC.

Tiger05

First Grade
BR, we have tried converting rugby players before. It hasnt ever ended well.

We have to give it a shot unless we can get some other players. If not from rugby then young league players. We can't go to market and get another old proven but average league player.

I don't think we are that far off if we can get rid of some dead wood over the next couple of years (Reynolds, Packer and Matulino being the key players to move on) and replace those guys with quality players plus another quality signing or two.

We've been really poor recently but we've made a tonne of mistakes which means you don't have a chance to win.

I said the following on the game thread last night.

So we have some guys signed long term such as Reynolds and Packer, not much we can do about that at the moment but I think others should be asked to look elsewhere at seasons end. The winger is number 1 but gee, Sue has to go as well.

Rona may be the only player around who may be interested but he could cost us big dollars as we are desperate.

I'd call on Garath Ellis and offer him a role as UK talent scout as surely he'd be able to suggest/nominate a centre or 2 and an Ellis clone.

From rugby, I think Rona would be the best and it's not like he's a rah rah crossing to league, he has experience. Oh and there's always Marika Koroibete and he's only 25.

No one has mentioned the Poms, surely there's a pom worth a try, another G Schofield, E Hanley, A Currier, thinking of Currier, maybe just a hard nut who played with him like Pobjie.

ed612313

Juniors
Amazes me that people still think, after all the FAILURES at our club alone, that Rugby Union players can cut in in the NRL. They cant - FACT. Very very few can.
Look at the few players in recent years that couldn't make our 1st grade team that have been Wallabies or would have made the Wannaby squad if not for injury....
1) Korobeiti
2) Taqele Naiyavoro
3) Chance Peni
Admittedly Koro was too good for State Cup but fact is he played a fair bit of it for us... As for the other 2 - 100% RESERVE GRADERS.
Been plenty of others also recently ie John Grant.
The only 2 of moderate success since Wests Tigers have been around are Jarrod Saffy and Sam Harris.
England is the way to go 100% or maybe even snag a few juniors from France/PNG and work with them for a few years.
Forget established Rugby Union players... They are 2nd rate

Vic Mackey

Referee
Amazes me that people still think, after all the FAILURES at our club alone, that Rugby Union players can cut in in the NRL. They cant - FACT. Very very few can.
Look at the few players in recent years that couldn't make our 1st grade team that have been Wallabies or would have made the Wannaby squad if not for injury....
1) Korobeiti
2) Taqele Naiyavoro
3) Chance Peni
Admittedly Koro was too good for State Cup but fact is he played a fair bit of it for us... As for the other 2 - 100% RESERVE GRADERS.
Been plenty of others also recently ie John Grant.
The only 2 of moderate success since Wests Tigers have been around are Jarrod Saffy and Sam Harris.
England is the way to go 100% or maybe even snag a few juniors from France/PNG and work with them for a few years.
Forget established Rugby Union players... They are 2nd rate

Whilst I agree, there is always the odd diamond. Will never forget Tim Sheens found Tuiaki playing Manly club rugby of all places. What I wouldn’t give for another of him right now

BuffaloRules

Coach
Funniest post ive seen in a long time.... Hilarious in fact...

Did you watch the game on Sunday?

They cant go into 2019 without some new outside backs.. I think its the biggest weakness now on the team and the ones they have at the moment don't cut it...

If players are not available from within the NRL then they are going tot have to look elsewhere..

Last edited:

Latest posts