What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How fat is Idris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Gee Saints... how embarrassing...

Wendell Sailor praises Canterbury-Bankstown centre Jamal Idris

For all his success, bravado and undoubted talent, it took little more than a glance across his hotel room shortly before lights out to put to rest any lingering doubts Wendell Sailor may have had about his decision to retire.
There was a time not too long ago when 'Big Dell' was the biggest and baddest hombre roaming football paddocks around the world.
However, in roommate Jamal Idris, Sailor sees the future of the game and it is bigger, faster and more skilful.
The 2009 NRL Rookie of the Year, Idris looms as the crown jewel in the Indigenous All-Stars' talent-laden backline after injuries forced his idol, Justin Hodges, and fellow Test centre Greg Inglis out of Saturday's inaugural NRL All-Stars clash because of injury.
It is a mantle that sits uneasily with the quietly spoken Idris, but is one Sailor insists he will one day wear unchallenged.
Forget comparisons with Tuqiri, Folau or Inglis, Sailor believes Idris, who was ranked in the top 10 juniors in the world in javelin and was also a national junior recordholder in discus and on the track, is the finest athlete he has encountered in his professional career.
"I have played with some wonderful athletes - Andrew Johns, Lote Tuqiri, Darren Lockyer - but this kid is a different pedigree," Sailor said.
"His body is changing. He will strip down and start getting even bigger and stronger over the next few seasons and, seriously, how scary is that? He will be unstoppable.
"He has just got to realise how good he is and what he can do in the game if he puts his mind to it.
"People talk about Greg Inglis, Johnathan Thurston, Israel Folau but this bloke has that sort of talent and more.
"He has the world at his feet."
In his inimitable style, Sailor said he had plenty of tips to pass on about how to build one's self-belief. His mouth is apparently not slowing at the same rate as his legs.
"It is tough to get to sleep with him there telling you how good he is all night," Idris said.
"He keeps reminding me to refer to him as 'dual international Wendell Sailor' and I guess he has earned it. But to be honest I feel lucky to be part of this. I still remember playing footy back on the lawn at my nan's.
"It seems like yesterday. Now I am rooming with Wendell and getting ready to play with and against the best players in the game. It is pretty special."

It is, particularly for the members of the Indigenous squad, who have allocated much of the week's preparations to addressing the cultural and historical significance of the occasion.
"I used to just hear stories about the great Aboriginal players of the past and loved them.
"But having the chance to listen and learn a bit more of the history of the game in these camps, I definitely have a much better appreciation of what they went through to pave the way for all of us," said Idris, who was also part of the Dreamtime team which played New Zealand Maori in the opening match of the 2008 World Cup in Australia.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26701693-23214,00.html

Ridders

Coach
Dell speaks the truth.

Idris's quest to being the dominant centre in the NRL is well on track.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
What a HUGE thing for the Dell to say. That's a huge compliment and not something to take lightly.

I still think it's pathetic, yet funny at the same time that Idris is a kid entering just his 2nd year of full fg footy after making the leap from SG to FG in the same season and people from other clubs want to pick on him for each and every little thing. How pathetic.

All I can say is, Todd and co please lock this kid up for a long time.

Sleep

Juniors
All the haters are probably still laughing watching him single handedly give the game to the Eels in the prelims.

But speaking of the big fella, will the Biggest Loser wrap in time for him to start the season or is he going to be out for the first few weeks doing additional "conditioning" training. :lol:

aqua_duck

Coach
Having to play out of position doesn't help.
heaps of players play out of position, and it was only a switch from centre to wing, stop making excuses
If he becomes a better player than G.I, I'll walk to Townsville backwards

perverse

Referee
heaps of players play out of position, and it was only a switch from centre to wing, stop making excuses
lol, i'll join ya on that walk if it happens.

of course dell is going to pump him up in the media... he's hardly gonna come out and rubbish his roommate. he's doing what any veteran does when in camp with a youngin, he's pumping up his confidence.

i love all the doggies fans in a frenzy about these comments, lol. idris is a good prospect... but he's got a long way to go. he'll never be an inglis without some more acceleration in his game. bloke looks like a sloth over the first 10 or so.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
All this being said about a 19 year old kid. You give it to him because he's better than you think he should be at his age and with his lack of experience. So you rubbish him to make yourselves feel better.

He'll keep doing what he's doing and I think he'll rip and tear in the All Stars match and have a stellar season. Can't wait.

Bulldog Force

Referee
Dude, no one here even said that. We're just saying that he's a teen prodigy. Where is the comparison to Inglis?

perverse

Referee
Dude, no one here even said that. We're just saying that he's a teen prodigy. Where is the comparison to Inglis?
uh... in the article you blokes are fapping over?
All this being said about a 19 year old kid. You give it to him because he's better than you think he should be at his age and with his lack of experience. So you rubbish him to make yourselves feel better.

He'll keep doing what he's doing and I think he'll rip and tear in the All Stars match and have a stellar season. Can't wait.
who's rubbishing the bloke? we're saying that comparisons to inglis at this stage are extremely premature, which they are. a LOT has to happen for idris to be considered anywhere near that level.

you think because we don't think he'll be as good as inglis that we are rubbishing him? lol.

as i said... great prospect. hopefully he continues to improve, no such thing as too many stars in the game.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
The comment wasn't aimed at you. Look back at the thread and it was aimed at those who continue to call him fat, talentless and all the rest.

Also, I think it was stupid for the Dell to come out and say this. It's simply going to put a heap of pressure on Idris to try and live up to all this hype surrounding him.

perverse

Referee
The comment wasn't aimed at you. Look back at the thread and it was aimed at those who continue to call him fat, talentless and all the rest.

Also, I think it was stupid for the Dell to come out and say this. It's simply going to put a heap of pressure on Idris to try and live up to all this hype surrounding him.
sorry, it's just how the thread flowed. my mistake.

yeah, dell's comments could go either way. in all honesty i think what he said would have been better off with a quiet word in idris' ear rather than all over the media... but we all know how much big dell loves his face/name/opinion in the paper.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
lol, i'll join ya on that walk if it happens.

of course dell is going to pump him up in the media... he's hardly gonna come out and rubbish his roommate. he's doing what any veteran does when in camp with a youngin, he's pumping up his confidence.

i love all the doggies fans in a frenzy about these comments, lol. idris is a good prospect... but he's got a long way to go. he'll never be an inglis without some more acceleration in his game. bloke looks like a sloth over the first 10 or so.

Doggies fans in a frenzy?

I posted the article merely as a poke at the Saints fans who've spent this whole thread trying to have a dig at Idris' figure, only to have one of their club icons give Idris a wrap.

And Sleep, tell me, would you have the guts to actually say that to Idris' face? Always safer behind a keyboard, ain't it? ;-)

Ridders

Coach

19 year old kid playing out of position in the biggest game in his short career. I can't imagine why he shouldn't have been totally comfortable with it:crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.