What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Nrl games will be decided?

BradtheRipper

Juniors
NRL games are becoming so close that all results will be decided by officials.
This season is so good and the salary cap will make it super competitive over the next few years. As in the NFL with a descent team off the field, you can go from wooden spoon to superbowl contenders under 5 seasons.
games will be decided by injuries, officials and the old bounce of the ball luck?

Stay Green!

kaon

Juniors
BradtheRipper said:
As in the NFL with a descent team off the field, you can go from wooden spoon to superbowl contenders under 5 seasons.

Case in point, the Canberra Raiders.

In the middle of last year we were last then the old admin got the flick and we ended up in the top 8. This year we are a very big chance to win the whole thing so, it doesn't take 5 years, only a year and a bit.

In another 5 years we will have a new dynasty of Raiders premierships, and the sydney media will be forced to give us some respect again.

dimitri

First Grade
NRL games are becoming so close that all results will be decided by officials.
This season is so good and the salary cap will make it super competitive over the next few years. As in the NFL with a descent team off the field, you can go from wooden spoon to superbowl contenders under 5 seasons.
games will be decided by injuries, officials and the old bounce of the ball luck?

i agree

Ultima

Juniors
I also agree... The scary thing is the league is getting this good, this close, this intense and the refing has become SO important to the outcome of games.... YET!!!! We still don't have more than TWO full-time refs!!!! I think the NRL need to get real and have at least SEVEN full-timers... Also putting the call out for people who know the rules and aren't blind would go a long way.... Our refs take equal opportunity employment for the disabled a bit too far sometimes...

82notout

Juniors
DaleyIsGod said:
In another 5 years we will have a new dynasty of Raiders premierships, and the sydney media will be forced to give us some respect again.

Because of the cap I think the eras of league dynasties won't happen again. The Bulldogs is a perfect example of this. Great team and probably will win the premiership this year. With the loss of a few of their players for next year it will be interesting to see how they go in 2004.

Without doubt the doggies would have dominated the comp in years to come if there was no cap in place.

kaon

Juniors
82notout said:
DaleyIsGod said:

Without doubt the doggies would have dominated the comp in years to come if there was no cap in place.

Wouldn't that just release the richer clubs such as the Broncos and Roosters to match the Bulldogs spending which would only result in a tiered competition structure?

I also don't agree with fulltime referees, what are they going to do in the other 6 days in the week when there are no Rugby League games?

Ultima

Juniors
kaon said:
I also don't agree with fulltime referees, what are they going to do in the other 6 days in the week when there are no Rugby League games?

Practice maybe? Train to keep up their fitness... The same thing players do basically.... It's not like they don't need it!!! A weekly test on the rules and what they would do in setup situations would be a good idea.... You could have the other full time refs mocking a game or even do something good for the community and get them refing high school games (which I think would be a very good idea really, get back in touch with the grass roots more).