What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How old is too old?

druid25

Juniors
Had a discussion with a friend of mine yesterday. Hadn't seen him in a long time, and both of us are keen NRL fans. We were both saying that we are feeling quite old these days (we were at the races and there were alot of young girls around - talking about getting their licences etc).
Any I have always said that I will play rugby league at some stage in my life, because when playing touch I have shown a fair amount of natural talent - In mixed touch last year I scored three tries in the second half of one of the games, that sort of thing. But yeah, I was saying that it feels strange that alot of the players are younger than me now. Like Dugan is so much younger. So this makes me think that it is getting to the stage where it will be hard if not impossible to make it into the NRL.

I am 27 years old now and looking to start playing in few weeks (have a calf injury atm). My friend told me that the warriors hooker heramya? started playing in the NRL at 27. Hearing that gave me a bit of hope.
What I ask you is how old is too old? When are you too old to start playing rugby leage if you hope to become professional?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you ever want to turn pro I'd say you need to start playing before you turn 12. If you're an absolute freak for natural physical ability you might up that to 15 or so.

Alternately if you really believe in yourself you can do anything. I'd suggest making your debut sometime before your mid-30s would be better though.

But really, if you're so talented why not become a rock star? The groupies are better and it pays more. And you can keep rocking out til you're 70.

BDGS

Bench
heremaia played a lot of his life though in the junior grades.

I think it would be impossible for you to make it now, but prove me wrong and i will happy to buy you a beer when you do.

Good luck.

P.S get ready to be insulted by dumbarses on this site.

Look, it's not impossible to make it in the NRL if you're 26 or 27. Many players have made their debuts at around that age in the last five years or so. But the number of players cracking it at that age are decreasing. That's because clubs throw players on the scrap heap when they are 21, maybe 23 or 24 for a forward. If you haven't made it by then they don't want to know you. But occasionally a Heremaia or a George Carmont comes along who impresses enough in a local league to get a start. But it probably requires even more luck than normal. There would be hundreds of players your age who COULD have played NRL if they'd been spotted, developed and had a bit more luck with injuries or other life circumstances. Many of those players are running around in parks all over the country or have dropped out altogether.

druid25

Juniors
Yeah well I am completely confident that if I do start playing I will make it. I am just more worried about whether it is worth it.
I mean I will probably need to play for two years before I make reserve grade or NRL and then I am almost 30. They probably wouldn't pick me for origin without at least two seasons. So I then may only get three years at the top....hmmm....i dont know. So if my career goes as expected I would be 35 when I go for my next contract, and that is when you earn the big money. They might say I am too old (although I would argue during negotiations that my body is less battered because I started late - might make it to 40)

At the moment I am just about to finish my plumbing apprenticeship. So the money could start flowing in from that and I feel it would be an easier life if I stay as is. And I would also avoid the fishbowl existance they say that the NRL is like....I don't know what would you lot do??

The great part of playing NRL would be the experience I could use when I start coaching. Alot of the big coaches have been players before.

aqua_duck

Coach
There's a difference between showing flair playing mixed touch and even lower grade football. A mate of mine played for Manly NYC in 08, played about half the season and got hurt, career over. This bloke only played half a season of under 20's but against us mere mortals he's like Graeme Langlands, we played oztag together, 2nd division mens which is quite competitive, and he scored something like 35 tries in 10 matches.

Didgi

I think it would be impossible for you to make it now, but prove me wrong and i will happy to buy you a beer when you do.

Good luck.

:lol::lol: You thought it was serious?

Poul

Juniors
I think it would be impossible for you to make it into the NRL. Why don't you try something far easier, like a professional career in rugby union or AFL?

ironhorse

Juniors
Probably get a go at AFL . Did i hear they have over 100 interchanges per match ? Failing that you could be a Roosters forward , think they do about 12 mins a game.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Good luck.

More classic Bear. :lol: Dumbarse.

Eels Dude

Coach
So you play in a band from the UK and you're hoping to get a start in the NRL and origin.... thanks troll.

Loudstrat

Coach
Ignore all the negative imbeciles in here. Ring a bloke called Russell Crowe - he'll give any nuffy a go.

Chook Norris

First Grade
he'd definitely make this side pretty comfortably
808850-gold-coast-suns.jpg

Latest posts