What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How the NRL should look like.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Expansion would also help players salaries. I do wonder if the nrl and rlpa have spoken about that? The superstars and above average players will be headhunted for those expansion teams once they do get the go ahead and drive up the salaries.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The best players in those comps are all contracted to the top 6 or 7 teams in the NRL. The current bottom 8 teams can't sign them what makes you think a team in Perth can?

Chance at first grade spots and bigger salaries. Currently they are sitting in reserve grade "just in case" the team needs them due to injury or they come good and take someone else's first grade spot. With only 20% of NRL places available for under 20's players to graduate to first grade there must be talent out there that could be developed?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even if that was the case, concessions should be made for any new team and they should be allowed to raid any player not in Nrl and those nrl players that are on the market are free for all. Union, overseas sl/union or anywhere on the planet. However teams need to have a core group of players from the area to have any sort of local affiliation/support.

Well wed have a top class local winger and centre to start us off :) I think we've got about 20 ex Pirates jnrs in NSW cup, Toyota cup and qlnad cup as well but not sure how they are progressing.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Well wed have a top class local winger and centre to start us off :) I think we've got about 20 ex Pirates jnrs in NSW cup, Toyota cup and qlnad cup as well but not sure how they are progressing.

That's good and all but I'd be more happy if you had a top class half or hooker. It would make it a tad more appealing than it already is. With the nrl struggling with participation numbers if the wa government allowed rl/touch into all wa schools as a 2nd sporting option how could the nrl say no to that?

Perth Red

Post Whore
So would I, when do you think melbourne will produce the same? We did produce a good stand off who went to qland cup but not sure what happened to him. I'm sure the wa govt isn't stopping touch being played in schools, just as they don't stop RL being played on our shs scholarship program schools. Maybe if the nrl actually drove it?

Our Jnr numbers are increasingly nicely, 7 new jnr clubs started up in last 3 years.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
So would I, when do you think melbourne will produce the same? We did produce a good stand off who went to qland cup but not sure what happened to him. I'm sure the wa govt isn't stopping touch being played in schools, just as they don't stop RL being played on our shs scholarship program schools. Maybe if the nrl actually drove it?

Our Jnr numbers are increasingly nicely, 7 new jnr clubs started up in last 3 years.

I feel that's one of the obstacles that the Nrl face(esp in Vic) The Nrl really needs to improve there delivery of programs to schools in Vic,WA,SA,NT. Otherwise they are push crap uphill.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Travitoh

First Grade
I feel that's one of the obstacles that the Nrl face(esp in Vic) The Nrl really needs to improve there delivery of programs to schools in Vic,WA,SA,NT. Otherwise they are push crap uphill.

I've been noticing SARL getting into primary schools to run clinics and the like, hopefully it continues and generates some genuine interest.

I would love to see a commitment to rugby league in SA by an NRL club similar to how Souths have in Perth (Brenton Lawrence is an SA boy so maybe Manly?) Roosters Storm should be alright this season but the lack of continued commitment by a club/fixture leaves very little reason to show an interest.

T-Boon

Coach
Touch is the logical format to push into schools, nrl are paying a mint to be branded with touch so should be on the front foot getting it into school programs and building nrl interest through it. In wa the nrlwa and touch wa are different organisations with no connection.

The Aus govt is even funding the opportunity.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_...D=380596&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=44401860

I thought the NRL now own Touch Football rather than "branded with touch". It is a great game. I watch highlights on Youtube a bit. Dylan Hennessy is the best passer of a rugby ball in the world. And women love it. It is big in Victoria.
I think NRL clubs should have an elite touch footy comp played before the NRL games. Open, mixed and ladies.

flippikat

Bench
I've been noticing SARL getting into primary schools to run clinics and the like, hopefully it continues and generates some genuine interest.

I would love to see a commitment to rugby league in SA by an NRL club similar to how Souths have in Perth (Brenton Lawrence is an SA boy so maybe Manly?) Roosters Storm should be alright this season but the lack of continued commitment by a club/fixture leaves very little reason to show an interest.

Good point on Perth being an example for Adelaide to follow.

The groundwork for Perth to be an expansion club has been good - upgrades to their stadium, regular NRL season games played their as a "shop window" for the code, and a growing local league are all excellent progress.

A shame that the final piece of the puzzle - an actual commitment by the NRL for their own club, and an entry date - is still nowhere to be seen.

However, if the NRL are serious about expansion, they need to identify WHERE the new teams will likely be, and encourage clubs to take games there, along with the extra money for grassroots, in the run-up to expansion. Y'know, kinda like what that other sport does with it's expansion... ;)

davi

Juniors
Paul Kent has put his beak into it, suggesting the NRL must expand in Adelaide and Perth before looking at a second team in Brisbane. Interesting his article gives some insight into the NRL for expansion and suggests missed opportunities and failure to relocate Sydney clubs that were suggested by the 1992 Bradley report were put in the too hard basket. Its an interesting read.......

The future of rugby league is at stake and the NRL must get its expansion plans in motion
Paul Kent, The Daily Telegraph
41 minutes ago

THIS all began with Laurie Daley saying last week it was cruel to ask Origin players to back up for their clubs.

Suddenly, everybody came forth with their big idea, hatched under a dim bulb, and off we went.

Before we go any further it is best to understand that rugby league is not a game void of ideas.

Indeed, too often we go the other way.

We take on every good idea and squeeze them together without ever appreciating that the secret to a souffle is just the right amount of sugar and salt, not as much as you can shovel in.

Daley’s comments shined a light on scheduling and so the natural next step was to find a way to lessen the workload on players. Stand alone Origin weekends emerged as the popular choice, not for the first time.

Good idea.

Instead of playing Origin on a Wednesday, they whizzed, let’s play it on a weekend and suspend the home and away competition for that weekend.

It was an opportunity to make player welfare a priority and give everybody a chance to rest.

That suited everybody until it didn’t.

Just one game the entire weekend?

Do that and we are opening the door to the NRL’s natural rivals, the AFL, to schedule blockbuster games in Sydney and Brisbane as part of their planned infiltration of traditional rugby league strongholds.

So back they came again, the thinkers, and presented with all that vacant landscape they could not help themselves and so they proposed international games across the rest of the weekend. Fiji and Samoa, New Zealand and Tonga. NSW and Queensland country teams playing each other, the State Cup rep teams filling whatever hole was left.

We could take the games to the bush and have our own little international festival.

It was beautiful.

Until it wasn’t.

The rest everybody was promoting was no longer a rest because and the club competition was still suffering.

One idea bumps into another and the roll is unstoppable.

The conversation then drifted where it usually does, about scheduling and Brisbane’s advantage being a one-town club and the seven day turnaround it regularly affords them, because of television ratings, and so quickly we were on to fixing that as well.

We went through it all on Triple M on Sunday and then yesterday Phil Rothfield rolled the grenade in the room by suggesting a Sydney club has to go _ it could be any club except Cronulla _ and off we went again.

Of course he is right.

And meanwhile the NRL sits back saying nothing and we realise it is because it has nothing to say.

Nobody knows what the NRL landscape will look like in 50 years. Nobody knows what it will look like in 20 years or even five years.

At some point the NRL has to acknowledge the game needs to grow and planning must begin now.

The problem was how to implement it, an idea that became redundant when Super League broke in 1995.

Doesn’t mean the problem went away, though.

Smith, not tied by tradition, recognised it and considered a quieter strategy.

The plan was to allow natural competition to take course. Let the clubs spend until one became financially vulnerable and went to the NRL for support.

The NRL would save the club from closing, but only if it agreed to voluntarily relocate.

At the same time the NRL was offering a $15 million incentive for any club that relocated.

The NRL’s club of choice was Cronulla.

It made the most sense. Geographically it is completely surrounded by St George Illawarra and at the time was financially vulnerable.

The Sharks have now insured themselves, though, through developments that make it one of Sydney’s more financially viable clubs.

Meanwhile the game is suffering financially, so the $15 million is no longer there, and the game has no plan for its future.

So, if a national competition is in everybody’s 50-year vision, when does it begin?

What are the steps towards attaining it?

If the game remains in current markets its growth is minimal and the AFL, with its own expansion, will continue gouging huge chunks of NRL heartland until it is all theirs.

So why would the NRL consider a second team in Brisbane, where it already dominates the market and would only weaken the Broncos’ stronghold, before it has teams in Perth or Adelaide or wherever they plan to go?

A national competition is vital.

It enriches the broadcast deal. It allows clubs to sell their brand as a national product. It opens the door to bigger sponsors looking for national exposure.

At some point the game has to return to its future."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/e7daf0ba40bde79ccc53919dcc57a79e

big hit!

Bench
It's a bit funny how the NRL hasn't been able to get a second club into the sport's second biggest market.

couldn't organise a root in a brothel

ATOWN2

Juniors
Sydney needs to get rid of 1 or 2 clubs. Brisbane needs a 2nd club. Perth and Adelaide both need a club. If you look at the history of mergers they have been unsuccessful so teams shouldn't be relocated they should just be scrapped. My 2 cents.

https://www.facebook.com/EverythingRugbyLeague/posts/1489981094400426:0
Developing the great game of Rugby League in non-traditional areas can often be a thankless and arduous task. Many thought the job done when the Western Reds played their first game in front of 24,395 local fans back in 1995. As fans of this page no doubt know, this optimism was short lived as the club became the victims of the Super League war along with other expansion clubs like the Adelaide Rams. The eyes of the world’s Rugby League fans then went away from Perth as the local first grade teams began to fold shortly after their ARL team.

These days the league is starting to recover as 6 full clubs participate in the first division, consisting of teams from Under 6’s right through to first grade.

One of these clubs is the Joondalup Giants.

The club was first formed in 1990 and plays in all age brackets (bar Under 12’s) along with women’s league tag and multiple teams for Under 18’s.

“When the Western Reds were here, there was fourteen or fifteen first grade clubs full with talent trying to make it into the Western Reds stem. They came from all around Australia” says Joondalup Giants Club President Sam Norton.

Playing League in Perth means the Giants face many of the same challenges of a developing Rugby League nation. “We do struggle to find Rugby League grounds in WA. A few of the more established clubs (i.e South Perth and Fremantle) who’ve been around for more than 50 years have had their own grounds for a long time but newer clubs like us struggle to get the council to allocate space to us due to the popularity of Aussie Rules and Soccer in Western Australia”. The economic downturn in Perth has affected funding opportunities as many sponsors traditionally came from the construction industry. “We had to be more innovative with the way we seek sponsorship but we’ve done well this year” says Sam.

Largely due to the Western Force (Super Rugby Competition), Rugby Union has more juniors than Rugby League in Western Australia. When asked about the rumours that The Force are set to fold, Sam thinks this would have a positive effect for League in Perth. “We have players leave League for Rugby Union. The reason they leave is an easier pathway to a professional career”. In a huge positive for League, The West Coast Pirates currently have a team in the SG Ball Under 18’s competition, the same league that NRL players traditionally go through. Whilst the team isn’t fairing too well in the competition, they always come back to the local league much better players and help grow the skillset of teams such as Joondalup. “It’s a big success for us to have a team that flies to Sydney every other week. We also have a state side in the Combined Affiliate States. Last year Joondalup had 2 players selected in the combined affiliate state side… who went onto play in Fiji last year. We hope to have a couple of players make this side to play against Wayne Bennett’s England at NIB Stadium”.

Many east coast teams receive a lot of their funding from Poker Machines. These machines are illegal in Perth, making funding even more difficult for Joondalup. The club doesn’t receive any money from the Australia Rugby League Commission or NRL WA, however NRL WA does help with merchandise, equipment and seeking grants from the local councils. We get most of our funds from independent sponsorship and game day bar and food”.

Earlier this month was a huge day for the club, starting at 10am Saturday morning and going all the way until midnight. The Giant’s managed to achieve their biggest ever attendance which Sam estimates to be around 1,000 people. This was also the first ever night game the Giants have ever had. The game was made possible by a recent upgrade in the lighting. “We sold every drop of alcohol and every piece of food that night” says Sam. The Giants beat arch rival North Beach with a last minute try to entertain the crown and hopefully leave them coming back to future games. To put this into perspective, North Beach won the local premiership in all three Senior Grades last year.

Exactly how does a guy end up becoming Club President of one of Perth’s favourite clubs? “I played a bit of junior league in Canberra, then moved to Perth. Whilst at a Rabbitohs vs Warriors game in Perth I was sitting behind some Joondalup Giants players and overheard their conversation (about the Giants) and decided to play for them. After an ACL injury I had surgery and then put my hand up to take on the role as Club President”. This just goes to show what the annual South Sydney Rabbitohs (now in it’s ninth season) means to Rugby League in Perth. Adding to this, Roy Assatasi, Greg Inglis and George Burgess are due in town to run a junior clinic for Joondalup at the end of this month. This relationship isn’t all one way though as the Rabbitohs now have more than 1,500 registered members in WA.

We at ERL believe that an NRL team in Perth is an absolute necessity and are optimistic of seeing this in the next 10 years. Sam believes an NRL club would be massive not just for Joondalup but for all the clubs in Perth. “It’s so important for the juniors to see a pathway into an NRL side. There’s just too many benefits to list”. Before this happens, Perth fans will have the luxury of seeing at least one NRL game each year, a 2019 State of Origin game and possibly even the NRL Nines.

For regular readers of ERL feature, you may know that we usually ask our interviewees what their dream scenario ten years do the track is. We believe Sam’s dreams for the club and game could genuinely be achieved. “Joondalup Giants have our own field that we own or at least has a very long term lease which could be developed into a small 2-3,000 seat ground. In addition to this, I’d like to see an NRL team in Perth with the Giants being a direct feeder club. I also would like to have a partnership with the Huddersfield Giants in England who we share the same mascot and colours with. I have already reach out to their CEO”.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nice to see an article from grass roots RL in WA. Our Snr mens team just won the affiliated states championship for the 8th year in a row.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Wow that's impressive - I don't know the exact number but that has got to be miles ahead of the number of Victorian born players at that level wouldn't it?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Touch footy is surely the NRL's secret weapon here. Non-contact version of the game, NRL branded and can be played by males and females of all sizes

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Touch is the logical format to push into schools, nrl are paying a mint to be branded with touch so should be on the front foot getting it into school programs and building nrl interest through it. In wa the nrlwa and touch wa are different organisations with no connection.

The Aus govt is even funding the opportunity.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_...D=380596&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=44401860
Sorry - I saw this after I wrote my previous message. Doesn't Touch Football Australia partner with the NRL nationwide? If that's not the case then I don't see the point in the partnership. I assumed that the move was to boost playing numbers of women and also boost the playing numbers of both sexes in the AFL states.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Do that and we are opening the door to the NRL’s natural rivals, the AFL, to schedule blockbuster games in Sydney and Brisbane as part of their planned infiltration of traditional rugby league strongholds.

hahahaha OMG hillarious - blockbuster AFL game in Brisbane - funniest thing I've heard for a while. It might draw 11K instead of 10K

Billythekid

First Grade
Yeah the idea that we'd be leaving ourselves open to an AFL invasion by having a standalone origin period is total horse shit.

What media coverage do you think any AFL game would get in Sydney or Brisbane during the standalone origin period? Every piece of media would be wall to wall origin and no other sport could get a look in.

They would also be competing against the biggest sporting spectacle in Australia which dominates QLD and NSW. Good luck trying to show off your game that week.

If anything the current setup where we have a 8-9 week period where the NRL plays second fiddle to origin and you have bye weeks and games missing their stars is a much bigger opportunity for rival codes.

If that is truly the reason the NRL don't want standalone origin weekends than we're even dumber than I thought.

alien

Referee
North Queensland Cowboys
Sunshine Coast Falcons
Redcliffe Dolphins
Brisbane Broncos
Gold Coast Titans
Newcastle Knights
Manly - Central Coast Sea Eagles
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St. George Illawarra Sharks
Western Suburbs Magpies
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
Canberra Raiders
Melbourne Storm
Adelaide Bears
Perth Roosters
Auckland Warriors
Wellington Orcas
Christchurch Bulls

- 20 clubs.
- 19 rounds (play every team once, and if you play one team at home, the next year you play them away, and so on..)
- Keep the top 8 finals system.
- State of Origin on weekends with no NRL club games but internationals eg. NZ v England, Samoa v Tonga, Fiji v PNG.
- Australia Kangaroos matches only after the NRL season, and Kangaroo matches after every NRL season!

Last edited: