What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How the Sharks found GF glory

How the Cronulla Sharks found grand final glory in season 2016
d8f845f76c8761913a210151e3935fa5

NICK CAMPTON, The Daily Telegraph
October 19, 2016 6:00am
Subscriber only
d8f845f76c8761913a210151e3935fa5

SUCCESS or failure? That’s how NRL clubs judge a season.

But each campaign is made up of small moments that make or break a tilt at premiership glory. These are the moments that mattered for the Cronulla Sharks.

March 28th
14-6 WIN OVER MELBOURNE

Cronulla went 1-2 in their first three matches before this tough victory over Melbourne at Southern Cross Stadium. It was the start of something great as they began their 15-match winning streak.

May 15th
62-0 WIN OVER NEWCASTLE

The equal-biggest win in Sharks history was highlighted by Valentine Holmes scoring four blistering tries with Cronulla running in 11 four-pointers in total to show the competition how far they’d come as an attacking unit.

664969388001_4894453143001_8113588-20160515-201643-VIDEO-STILL.jpg

May 21st
20-12 WIN OVER MANLY

Not only did this narrow victory avenge the Sharks most recent defeat in Round 2 it also gave them sole ownership of top spot on the ladder for the first time in 2016.

June 13th
13-10 WIN OVER COWBOYS

This gripping three-point victory was one of a series of narrow wins by the Sharks and affirmed their premiership credentials by blunting the favoured Cowboys in a tight struggle at Shark Park.

August 1st
18-ALL DRAW WITH GOLD COAST

The 15-straight wins finally ended in one of the mots intense and enthralling games of the season with the plucky Titans fighting tooth and nail to stick with the Sharks. Ten minutes of golden point couldn’t separate the two teams and the draw sent the Sharks into something of a tailspin as they lost their next three matches.

d227a9fb674021f3f3b274bf6cffd07f

August 22nd
12-6 LOSS TO SOUTH SYDNEY

This was the moment Cronulla’s season looked doomed. A grim defeat to lowly South Sydney had their premiership hopes look all but extinguished with just two weeks to play until the finals began.

September 3rd
26-6 LOSS TO MELBOURNE

The minor-premiership showdown was comprehensively Melbourne’s. They always looked in control in this 20-point victory that put the Sharks title credentials back into question.

September 10th
16-14 WIN OVER CANBERRA

Out of form, without skipper Paul Gallen, playing away from home and losing Wade Graham early in the first half makes this one of the most courageous wins in Sharks history. Fighting back from an early 12-0 deficit, Cronulla’s unlikely hero was prop Matt Prior who put in a man of the match display in the 16-14 victory.

September 23rd
32-20 WIN OVER COWBOYS

Cronulla advanced to their first grand final since 1997 and continued their journey towards a maiden title with this 32-20 win over North Queensland nowhere near as close as the scoreline indicated. James Maloney was in superb touch in the win, scoring a double and tearing the Cowboys apart.

October 2nd
14-12 WIN OVER MELBOURNE

Unless you’ve been sinking shoeys for the past couple of weeks this one will still be pretty fresh in your mind. With Andrew Fifita and Luke Lewis leading the way, Cronulla triumphed in the epic grand final showdown with Melbourne 14-12 to claim their first premiership and finally putting an end to those Harold Holt jokes.

57f0f031bb915_20161002001285039499_original_1280x720-1bv1s1h.jpg

####
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...6/news-story/d8f845f76c8761913a210151e3935fa5

Quigs

Immortal
I appreciate the fact Bubby that you are committing an offence against Murdoch and his rags to enlighten all of us heathens. Power to you comrade.

But, if I may be allowed to further add to my previous comment. f**k the Tele-crap and all who sail in her.

Seriously what a nothing article.

This journalist gets paid for that?

And this was premium content in the Telecrap... Lol!

How about doing some real journalist work and seeking an interview with Flanagan and finding out a bit of how he put the side together. I'm sure there's some interesting insights on why Flano went after certain players. What he saw in the young kids in Holmes and Jack Bird. And why he continued to chase seasoned campaigners that were mostly unwanted by other Clubs.

Seriously some of the stuff you see in the papers these days is just lazy copy and paste shit.

carcharias

Immortal
Well bubby...I liked it.
You've motivated me.

My missus is out
I'm 4 home brews deep and I'm gonna watch the game again now.

Arnold

Juniors
thought at one point we had beaten every team in our last game ? I know what I mean. We didn't find the gf win