What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How the St George Illawarra Dragons got their groove back after death threats to coach and CEO

Old Timer

Coach
Re #20 I forgot to add that seeing as it's all in the press investigate the Foran / Wilson matter as well and either deal with Foran for making the threats or Wilson's husband for lying about it.
Sick to death of all the bad shit that happens or is propertied to happen in this game let alone the rest of society as it should be a safe place for everyone regardless of whether you like them or not.

Red V for life

Juniors
I am as one-eyed and passionate as all of us on here and the last 3 years or so have been pretty darn painful. I have cursed at Mary, Doust and anyone else involved or the predicament we have found ourselves in...

BUT

threats like the ones alleged in the article are just not on. At the end of the day it is a game...not life and death.

And can I just say that I hope Doust, Mary and the team get the job done this year. The (very) early signs are that lessons have be learned (painfully) and where that happens, growth occurs.

That's not meant to be an endorsement of Doust, Mary and co. I'd just rather them go out on the up...especially Mary. It would be a shame if his lasting reputation was "shit coach" rather than "great player and club man"

Last edited:

This Year?

Immortal
Maybe it was this guy:

achmed_the_dead_terrorist.jpg

j0nesy

Bench
"The simplicity of how we're going to play is a relief to everyone."

That's a part of the problem. Our style of play is overly simple. Last night our props were sitting ducks as we continued to play one out and angled runs back to the centre of the ruck. Parramatta just crowded the centre of the field and continually belted us backwards with 3 or 4 defenders. Too simple, too predictable. We played simple and still managed to fumble a lot of ball. It's a worry.

OzDragon

Coach
Unfortunately see it a lot via twitter. The dopes on there send death threats over anything, no matter how trivial (like a game release getting delayed by a week)

They are not fans. They are scum of the lowest order.

possm

Coach
The sooner the Club announces our new coach for 2018 is Hasler or Cleary or Walters, the soon we will begin the climb out of this mess.

Any thought of extending Mary's contract or appointing members of his coaching staff or any other rookie - including Barratt - would see the Dragan's fan base rise up in protest to a level never experienced previously. Why because we have had enough. The time has come for management to do their job or resign.

Last edited:

gonz

Juniors

That's a part of the problem. Our style of play is overly simple. Last night our props were sitting ducks as we continued to play one out and angled runs back to the centre of the ruck. Parramatta just crowded the centre of the field and continually belted us backwards with 3 or 4 defenders. Too simple, too predictable. We played simple and still managed to fumble a lot of ball. It's a worry.
Simplicity = no idea STILL

blacksafake

First Grade

Dragons Footy!!!!!!!
Been that way since waterboy Price & now L plate is carrying on the tradition.So this is what Doust means when he employs a coach from within & says they know our systems:rolleyes:

grouch

First Grade
I remember the good old days of 2014, when the likes of Andrew Webster would wait until we'd opened the season with 3 straight wins before penning such a ridiculous "times they are a changin" article. I'm heartened by the knowledge that the coach at the start of 2014 was sacked before that year was out. They f**ked up the replacement choice, though.

possm

Coach
There is no logical reason for Mary and his coaching staff's contracts to be extended and there should be no reason for Doust to stay.

It's time now to act. I predict if it is announced that Mary is gone at end of season, there would be a big uplift in performance because:

All players who's contract expires at end of season will know they are performing for the new coach. No bias and a fresh set of eyes.

I believe Mary will take the cash and move on immediately, so no more stupid selections and much better management of the bench.

Maybe a seasoned retired NRL coach will knock the squad into shape prior to end of season.

Qdf

Juniors

Yeah,
PARRA were at least a metre off side all day.Real good reffeeing...

Gomarchin

Juniors
Are there any other clubs interested in signing Mary as their coach?

NO.

Why? Because he has limited ability and insight and the only reason he was appointed in the first place is because he bleeds "red and white', is one of the boys and had success coaching in the Illawarra league.

emu52

Juniors
It is hard to attack and move forward when the defending team is at least a metre in front of the referee