What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get CONSISTENCY

mickeylane

Bench
The opposition teams are all coached well to play against us.
They attack the middle early dragging 3 some times 4 forwards into the vicinity of the tackle.
Because we do not make many dominant tackles as evidenced by the requirement for the 3rd man in to be around the legs (often JDB)to stop the forward progress, if the opposition do get a quick play the ball they can swing it wide quickly.
Once we have committed the forwards to the centre the edges become frail and we start to slide in defence.
Because we have slow outside backs and play a compressed defensive line, once the attacking player gets on our defenders outside shoulder its all over as they have too much speed or we have the likes of Widdop and Dugan barrelling across trying to compensate and the hole opens up back on the inside.
It should be noted that we don't give away that many penalties for being too long getting up in a dominant tackle, it is more for laying around the legs of the players in the ruck or not getting square as we back peddle to get back on side.
As much as we talk about our strong pack and the "D" we are not a dominating defensive side except when on the goal line.

I think the dragons are playing a high risk game - there are 2 aspects to their risk which for a kind of reminds me of the Bulldogs in the early 2000s.

1. I think Mcgregor has a belief that if our defence does not get fragmented and is always set - that a team will find it difficult to score against us, I have yet to see us a Cop a try thru the Middle - it's been through errors of ours and misreads off the edges of our defence once the errors occurred and our team being disjointed as a consequence.

Mcgegor purposefully allows the opposition kicker to put the ball up without bodies rushing the ball handler so to preserve the line of defence IMO as they're is no other explanation for the not rushing the kicker continuously.

2. The up and in defence against the Sharks was very aggressive and high risk but it worked because the Sharks forced their passes trying to get tone outside edges.. Our defence is brutal I don't care what people say because Packer, Debellin, Thompson, Vaughan, Frizzell all hit hard... Our outside backs especially Lafai and Mcdonald were kamikaze like when they were compressing smothering the outside backs just as they were receiving the ball - there would have been at least 15 meters of space to the touch line after Mcdonald had compressed in - he was caught out once but you would have to count the times they snuffed out the attack early rather than sliding ..

I must admit I prefer this kind of attitude in defence it shows confidence and no longer are teams looking down at us - they're now looking at us with a bit of fear and as the season goes and we keep doing what we're doing more consistently we will be a team that will be feared for our bustling defence..

Old Timer

Coach
mickeylane
What we did against the Sharks ultimately worked and got us the win but we were incredibly lucky to get away with it and as well all know the sharks blew a fair few solid chances against us.
Also Gallen is such a ball hog we were able to contain him to a large degree.
If Gallen hadn't demanded so much ball I believe they would have smacked our arse well and truly.
Warriors are rabble and the game could go either way depending on their attacking flair on the night as if RTS and SJ are light on their feet they will cause plenty of issues.
For mine we will know how are are going when we play Manly.
They have a couple of very tough forwards who can dish it out and Tommy Turbo does make a lot of brakes in the middle of the paddock so let's see how the pigs handle him.

Crush

Coach
Our most consistent line up:
1: Jack DeBelin

2: Nene McDonald
3: Jack DeBelin
4: Jack DeBelin
5: Jack DeBelin

6: Gareth Widdop
7: Jack DeBelin

8: Paul Vaughan
9: Cameron McInness
10: Jack DeBelin
11: Tyson Frizell
12: Jack DeBelin
13: Jack DeBelin

Bench
Jack DeBelin
Jack DeBelin
Jack DeBelin
Jack DeBelin

18th man: Kurt Mann
This is just craziness. I agree with you that JDB should be in all those positions except 17. I think Kurt Mann has to come onto the bench in 17 just in case some thing happened to Nene McDonald during the game

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This is just craziness. I agree with you that JDB should be in all those positions except 17. I think Kurt Mann has to come onto the bench in 17 just in case some thing happened to Nene McDonald during the game
Getting Kurt Mann into the bench isn't the problem..

It's getting him off the bench and onto the field..

BennyV

Referee
mickeylane
What we did against the Sharks ultimately worked and got us the win but we were incredibly lucky to get away with it and as well all know the sharks blew a fair few solid chances against us.
Also Gallen is such a ball hog we were able to contain him to a large degree.
If Gallen hadn't demanded so much ball I believe they would have smacked our arse well and truly.
Warriors are rabble and the game could go either way depending on their attacking flair on the night as if RTS and SJ are light on their feet they will cause plenty of issues.
For mine we will know how are are going when we play Manly.
They have a couple of very tough forwards who can dish it out and Tommy Turbo does make a lot of brakes in the middle of the paddock so let's see how the pigs handle him.
While I'm fairly confident of a win this weekend, if Warriors get anywhere near the amount of ball in our attacking zone that Cronulla got we are absolutely toast. Johnson and Foran are took smart to fall victim to a up-and-in defense, by the second or third attacking set they will start putting kicks behind Aitken and Nightingale and our whole defensive structure is screwed.

Crush

Coach
While I'm fairly confident of a win this weekend, if Warriors get anywhere near the amount of ball in our attacking zone that Cronulla got we are absolutely toast. Johnson and Foran are took smart to fall victim to a up-and-in defense, by the second or third attacking set they will start putting kicks behind Aitken and Nightingale and our whole defensive structure is screwed.
With Foran at 6, Johnson will be lethal. I've got a baaaaaad feeling about this......

Uplifting

Juniors
I probably should have given Packer a spot too.

possm

Coach
I'm concerned Mary didn't notice how bad McCrone was last game and how his performance limited the teams ability to compete. I dearly hope that Mary gives Mann significant minutes to show his talent in the halves.

Capital

Juniors
I'm concerned Mary didn't notice how bad McCrone was last game and how his performance limited the teams ability to compete. I dearly hope that Mary gives Mann significant minutes to show his talent in the halves.
I'm not sure Mann will be any better at halfback. He seems suited to the role of a running 5/8 to me. So partnering him and Widdop may start to look like last year.

I have no confidence in this team to keep winning so I think Mann will get a chance in the halves at some stage this season.

possm

Coach
I'm not sure Mann will be any better at halfback. He seems suited to the role of a running 5/8 to me. So partnering him and Widdop may start to look like last year.

I have no confidence in this team to keep winning so I think Mann will get a chance in the halves at some stage this season.
I agree, Mann is a running five-eighth. So move Widdop to seven and give Mann a run at 6. In 2018 we need a 6, we already have a 7 in Hunt.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Agree Possm.
In the interest of consistent results Mary has to have players GAME READY to replace injured & suspended ones.
The Dragons have had the same run-on 13 for 4 games - that's rare, and can change suddenly..

Plans for a rainy day?
What was Baden Powell's motto? BE PREPARED?

Players will lose form across the season and need replacing?

Mary's putting all his eggs in one basket and not making proper contingency plans for forced changes that will come as the season wears on.

Give Mann a fullish game - otherwise how can we expect him to perform & slot easily into the game plan?
Have we a backup hooker (OR SPINE for that matter?)who's has some game time?
Who replaces Duges when he gets injured or goes to Origin?
What genuine game time is Field getting?
Have we got 2 reserve backs in form, ready, fit & toughened for FG?
A couple of EXPERIENCED forwards outside the 17 - READY to fit in?
Seems like a potential recipe for loss of consistency? Delusion?

I know bashing coaches has become a blood sport this week.
But hey, I'm just asking politely ATM.

Crush

Coach
Forget Mann to the halves. Will not happen. At best he will get a run on the wing when dugan plays origin and nightingale moves to fullback.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I happen to know for a fact that all players and coaching staff dedicate 2 hours after each video session reading these posts. In fact it is standard practice across the NRL to spend a great deal of time concerning yourself with what anonymous people with no credentials are writing about you on the internet.

A much appreciated post & very interesting, because I've been wondering how much of a waste of time this might be.
Reading these posts wouldn't do the confidence of some players, coaches & CEO's much good I reckon - unless they're thick skinned!
Josh, Gareth, Mary & Peter cop such a pasting.
So in a way I'm surprised about the dedicated 2 hours given to reading the thoughts of fans.
Humans are inquisitive though, so I do believe this stuff may be read.
And every fan sees something different in each game - so the forum's full of ideas & perspective.

And the holy grail here is the perfect game and that magical winning streak!

Perfect consistency.

And it's no illusion, because it was achieved by the Dragons for 11yrs. What a blueprint for success right before our eyes. Many commentators still despise that success and have enjoyed predicting our demise towards the wooden spoon.

So highly paid professionals, both coaches & players, looking for that edge that improves their performance would/should of course listen - and find answers to questions and issues posed by these threads.

Otherwise this is just mindless flagellation of sorts!

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
A much appreciated post & very interesting, because I've been wondering how much of a waste of time this might be.
Reading these posts wouldn't do the confidence of some players, coaches & CEO's much good I reckon - unless they're thick skinned!
Josh, Gareth, Mary & Peter cop such a pasting.
So in a way I'm surprised about the dedicated 2 hours given to reading the thoughts of fans.
Humans are inquisitive though, so I do believe this stuff may be read.
And every fan sees something different in each game - so the forum's full of ideas & perspective.

And the holy grail here is the perfect game and consistency maintained.
And it's no illusion, because it was achieved by the Dragons for 11yrs. What a blueprint for success right before our eyes. Many commentators still despise that success and have enjoyed predicting our demise towards the wooden spoon.

So highly paid professionals, both coaches & players, looking for that edge that improves their performance would/should of course listen - and find answers to questions and issues posed by these threads.

Otherwise this is just mindless flagellation of sorts!
It's therapy for the passionate at the very least, regardless of views.
I have no doubt that players and staff 'have a peek' on here at least occassionally, perhaps more so after a win.

LINESPEED

Juniors
It's therapy for the passionate at the very least, regardless of views.
I have no doubt that players and staff 'have a peek' on here at least occassionally, perhaps more so after a win.

Defend the MIDDLE of the park like it's trench warfare boys!

Blitzkrieg for the first 20 minutes
And you'll suffer
fewer bombs
fewer chips in behind
Less fatigue in the long run

And you'll BREAK that win/loss cycle of inconsistency

LINESPEED

Juniors
While I'm fairly confident of a win this weekend, if Warriors get anywhere near the amount of ball in our attacking zone that Cronulla got we are absolutely toast. Johnson and Foran are took smart to fall victim to a up-and-in defense, by the second or third attacking set they will start putting kicks behind Aitken and Nightingale and our whole defensive structure is screwed.[/QUOTE

A bomb or chip kick on our line will be a defensive failure.
How many will we give away to the Warriors??