What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge wrap on Parramatta Eels' 17-year-old Bevan French

Forty20

First Grade
Hayne was a once in 5 generations talent .... but his application of that talent had a fair bit to be desired

I would argue that Hayne is an all-time talent. Not the G.O.A.T by any means, or even close when it as he lacks so many key milestones but he has (had?) the pure talent to have been able force his way into that conversation.

GI is bigger and has the monstrous fend but Hayne is such a complete athlete and kills GI for explosiveness. Physically he is pretty much the perfect NRL player and his ability to single handedly take over games from fullback speaks further speaks to that notion.

French is a phenomenal talent and pips Hayne in some aspects of game sense and his willingness to push up in support but it isn't in the same ball park as Hayne on the whole.

Chipmunk

Coach
Not even close. By the time Hayne was French's age he was a three season veteran, with Dally M Rookie and Winger plus TWO Brad Fittler Medals (NSW player of the series) under his belt. He won the Dally M Medal in '09 at age 21. French is 21 this year.

Not to say French won't have a career full of highlights and premierships, but Hayne is a once-in-a-generation talent. French might never play Origin. In fact, I hope he doesn't.

Because I hate him.

The rules of the sport have changed a bit though Pou Bear. Plenty of players played NRL at 18 in the past, very few do these days and very few have since the introduction of the NYC

French also didn't really play in an NRL Clubs system until he was 16, The Plane I'm sure was in Development Squads at 12 or 13.... The Plane is also bigger at 20 than French was.

Having said all that I can't see Beven French replicating The Plane's 2009 performance this year (nor any player ever again!)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think it was ever common for players to debut at 18. As for Hayne being in the system so young, that reflects his superior potential, which includes his physical size and strength. Rugby league is still very much a game of power, and there are very few players of French's size left in the game, and understandably so.

If you're going to judge French you do have to consider he is still a lightweight, and will lose most contests based on that. It's a tribute to his other talents that he has made it this far, but let's not pretend he is not undersized. That has hampered him in the past and probably will in the future.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Hayne was definitely the better player at the same age and probably one of the most talented players to ever play league.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So is Bev better than Hayne at the same stage of their careers? IIRC Hayne was DM Rookie of the year but Bev scored more tries in his debut year ? I think Puddin played origin in his 2nd year so Bev might be pushing shit up hill there.

I remember when Hayne and Inu had break out years coming through the ranks but Inu didn't go much further, if anything he went backwards.

A long way to go for French.

betcats

Referee
Hayne was a once in 5 generations talent .... but his application of that talent had a fair bit to be desired

Agree, He should of done so much more. He peaked at 21, while he had some great seasons and some shitty coaches it just feels like he never really got to his full potential. Still time for him but he seems more interested in building his own brand.

Gronk

Staff member
Bevy did some good things and is growing better each week. Last night he wrapped up a runaway merkin head on, gathered a towering high ball running into traffic and even ran the ball back.

I know op teams tend not to kick to him and prefer Hoffman, but Bevy needs to find the confidence to run the ball into a line. Getting rag dolled a few times has made him a tad shy.

A work in progress.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I say he is happy to run it back, but he is following BA's structure/plans.

Obviously he does get "rag doll" running it back but reckon they are still managing his entry into the NRL - still only growing into his body and probably physically isn't up to it for a whole year just yet.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And go forward isn't his strength, so why waste unnecessary runs on having him charge into a wall of chasers when Radradra and even Hoffman are better at it?

Gronk

Staff member
And go forward isn't his strength, so why waste unnecessary runs on having him charge into a wall of chasers when Radradra and even Hoffman are better at it?

Jarryd Hayne 2007/08 didn't have an issue with finding holes. I'm not saying that Bev should run it back Graham Eadie style at all.

I will watch Kalyn Ponga tonight and revert.

Gronk

Staff member
I reckon he'd still be in rehab if Norman didn't get injured. Running on one leg.

Ran 54m.

Last edited:

T.S Quint

Coach
He went alright.
Didn't cost us the game or anything. Positioned himself well for kicks into the goal (apart from the last 'try'). Let Semi or Hoffman run it back most of the time, which is smart.

Hope he gets back to full fitness soon though.

Bazal

Post Whore
Tackle on Johnston late in the game was a belter as well. For a small bloke he's a very good last line defender.

He was at an NRL standard tonight. Plenty of improvement in him

Eelementary

Post Whore
I actually agree with Gronk - he looked a little underdone to me.

Not that he was bad, by any stretch - but he will improve when he gets some fitness back.

oldmancraigy

Coach
To be fair, on current production, French would be the one to miss out if all our backs were fit.

It'd come down to a conversation over the wing spot between him and Hoffman, and the Hoff is playing really well and making plenty of meters early in the sets. That's the area that is holding French back - needs to be more involved in that aspect.

But he has all the talent in the world, hopefully he clicks into gear in the coming weeks!

lingard

Coach
To be fair, on current production, French would be the one to miss out if all our backs were fit.

It'd come down to a conversation over the wing spot between him and Hoffman, and the Hoff is playing really well and making plenty of meters early in the sets. That's the area that is holding French back - needs to be more involved in that aspect.

But he has all the talent in the world, hopefully he clicks into gear in the coming weeks!

I'd really like to give Hoffman a go at fullback. He's not really a winger at all IMO.

Latest posts