What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Huge wrap on Parramatta Eels' 17-year-old Bevan French

Gronk

Staff member
He's a fullback, cos he's not a winger in the modern game.

So he'll need to find a way to adapt his body shape and his new weakness in his knee and become a first choice fullback.

Will be an interesting few years. He could either become one of the greatest we've seen or Alex Johnston V2.0.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I reckon they're both fullbacks. However, Guth is the better option at this stage. The other thing we have to consider is that other teams have seen how good Guth is at the back so he will be attracting fullback interest and money from other teams. Keep in mind he's off contract at the end of next year. If all we can offer him is a centre position on centre money there's a good chance we'll lose him.

If it's a question of how valuable both Guth and French are to our team, Guth wins hands down.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gutherson is contracted for 2019 and has utility value. As Arthur's said yesterday, he's unsure of Gutherson's best position.

Forty20

First Grade
I think as much as Gutherson has taken the tag to a new level this year, Bevan is also a pure footballer. He doesn't possess prototypical modern back size but he does own elite acceleration, agility and speed along with a preternatural sense of where to be in key moments. As such he will have plenty of quality games on the wing purely because he is a kid that puts in his all regardless of the circumstances surrounding his selection.

However there will games where he is exposed in defence - especially if teams can isolate him in the red zone and there will be times where his lack of go forward coming out of our half will hurt us. Fans just need to know that there will be a bit of bad with all the good if we continue to play him on the wing.

When all is said and done we are lucky to have two of the best up and coming backs in the game in Gutherson and French regardless of where they play each week. It is all a far cry from the dark days of Chris Walker, Chris Hicks, Paul Whatuira et al.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
French is a fullback, if it weren't for his injury he would have retained the no.1 jersey. He has the skill and speed and vision to be a great no.1 or 5/8. But You can tell that the injury had affected his confidence in the last few games. Anyway, just like Hayne when he first played first grade it would not do bevan any harm to play on the wing for the immediate future. He's a freak.

I agree.

Everything French does has class about it.

I absolutely love Gutherson, but I honestly believe in the long term, French will be our 1.

However, right now, it does is no harm to have Gutherson killing it at 1, and French regaining form and confidence on the wing.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Really impressed with Bevan's defence yesterday - forced two errors.

He may be smaller, but he has great technique, and a big heart.

He's a special player.

But so is King Gutherson.

strider

Post Whore
French's kick chase and quick defense basically secured us the game yesterday ... i dont give a f**k if he only made one run for 11m, he attacked via defense .... until we get flogged a few times with the current lineup, he stays on the wing where he has shown unorthodox ability

Happy MEel

First Grade
French's kick chase and quick defense basically secured us the game yesterday ... i dont give a f**k if he only made one run for 11m, he attacked via defense .... until we get flogged a few times with the current lineup, he stays on the wing where he has shown unorthodox ability
You're right, his kick chase was exceptional...something that we have generally been poor at. Another reason to keep him on the wing.

Chipmunk

Coach
So we have Gutherson, Takairangi, French, Hoffman, Jennings, Norman and Moses all contracted until 2019 and we're looking at probably bringing Semi back mid-season next year.

Something has to give here...

Happy MEel

First Grade
So we have Gutherson, Takairangi, French, Hoffman, Jennings, Norman and Moses all contracted until 2019 and we're looking at probably bringing Semi back mid-season next year.

Something has to give here...
Hoffman can play wing until June when Semi returns and then we can try to offload him before June 30 or drop him to Wenty. I think we can cop his salary playing in NSW Cup

1. Guth
2. Hoff/Semi
3. Taka
4. Jennings
5. French
6. Norman
7. Moses

Alternatively, we try and offload Taka before June 30 and go with this...

1. French
2. Semi
3. Jennings
4. Guth
5. Hoff
6. Norman
7. Moses

Personally, I'd go the first option.

Djay

Juniors
Except Djay said he is a winger and who would you think knows better?
BA or Djay?
Typical response from a know it all.

Never claimed to know more then BA, what i do know which is facts right now is we are a better team with Gutho at fullback so many things suggest that.

French maybe a good fullback but his size is gonna become an issue, and he has never struggled at winger but yet everyone keeps saying it's an issue. It was last year and wasn't yesterday.

Long term he will be our fullback i'm sure but as for now he will be fine on the wing.